Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister bought me a small group of them for Christmas to try. Not bad, better than a power bar(are those still around?). Anyway I bought some more the other day. HOLY CRAP THEY ARE LOADED WITH CARBS! I'll take a Special Dark chocolate bar over that any day.

·
Do what he say!
1,074 Posts
I like cliff bars. Better sugar/carb sources compared to powerbar(yes they're still around) and "gu"-type stuff. Sure they're loaded with carbs, perfect for long rides IME. I did a 4+ hour endurance race on a couple of these these and a peanut butter/banana sammich last weekend.

But I wouldn't sit around on the couch and eat them.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I "thought" about using them for was a meal replacement situation, kinda like an MRE. Which is how I tried to employ them. Like when it appears as though I may not get to sit down and eat a meal while working. Been looking at various possibilities, protein drinks, MRE vs eating something fast food. Quite often it is fast food/sub shop type food or nothing.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
when I tried the Clif bars, they were hard on my digestive system. Of course that's different for everyone. My preference is power bars - 1 an hour on endurance rides works well for me, easy on my system with no ill effects.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
What I "thought" about using them for was a meal replacement situation, kinda like an MRE. Which is how I tried to employ them. Like when it appears as though I may not get to sit down and eat a meal while working. Been looking at various possibilities, protein drinks, MRE vs eating something fast food. Quite often it is fast food/sub shop type food or nothing.
Bars made for use during endurance exercise are not meal replacement products. The carb/fat/protein mix that is right for a meal (your regular diet) is not right for use during endurance exercise.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its an energy bar - of course it has carbs.

Its not meant to be a little desert like a granola bar.

That said, if you're hitting fast food/sub shop - sounds like you don't really care otherwise.
Well actually I do care, otherwise I would not be asking. I travel for a living. My passengers dictate when and quite often where I might get to eat. Usually there is a time constraint element as well. Eat what is available or not eat at all. I'm looking at alternatives to something fast.

Going to look into freeze dried meals that you mix with hot water and eat. Also need to look at the cost involved as I usually eat for free when working. I've already gotten fairly choosy on what fast food I prefer to eat vs cheeseburger and fries with a shake routine.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
Cliff bars are pretty much just Ding Dongs with a rock climber on the package.

You may as well take a six pack of snickers bars with you on a ride.

·
Do what he say!
1,074 Posts
Well actually I do care, otherwise I would not be asking. I travel for a living. My passengers dictate when and quite often where I might get to eat. Usually there is a time constraint element as well. Eat what is available or not eat at all. I'm looking at alternatives to something fast.

Going to look into freeze dried meals that you mix with hot water and eat. Also need to look at the cost involved as I usually eat for free when working. I've already gotten fairly choosy on what fast food I prefer to eat vs cheeseburger and fries with a shake routine.
Let me know what good options you find. I'm in the same boat. I don't know where I'm going to have lunch when I leave in the morning, and the majority of the time I end up in a very rural area. Sometimes I'm lucky to find a subway. If I do end up eating with a customer, it's usually in some sh*t-hole where 90% of the menu is either fried or covered in butter. Or both.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me know what good options you find. I'm in the same boat. I don't know where I'm going to have lunch when I leave in the morning, and the majority of the time I end up in a very rural area. Sometimes I'm lucky to find a subway. If I do end up eating with a customer, it's usually in some sh*t-hole where 90% of the menu is either fried or covered in butter. Or both.
We had another one of our drivers who got really sick, lost about 50 lbs as a result and part of the reason for the illness or as a result of the illness, his food selection became very limited. He was looking for ways that he could prep his own meals on the road vs eating whatever to have some control over his diet. I think his quest fell woefully short of his intentions when he could not get a microwave to work in the bus. Would have involved him buying a lot of extra equipment then having to figure out how to make it work in each bus, transporting all that crap every trip. I'm thinking if I find a cup of hot water, I'm in business. Need to find some samples of freeze dried doomsday prepper type meals to test out.

As for the original Clif bar question, I'm going to stick with The Special Dark Chocolate bars as a way to take the edge off of a hunger pang. Clif bars were giving me wicked methane gas.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I like Balance Bars as a good mini "meal replacement" snack. The "Cookie Dough" flavor is my favorite. They are often on sale at my local super market for $1/bar, plus another $3 off if you buy a box of 15.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Interesting factoid:

Let's say you ride 20 miles in 1 hr and burn 600 calories. That's 2.5 Clif bars, which at $1.50 each comes to $3.75.

You drive your SUV 20 miles and it takes a gallon of gas. That's ~$3.75 too. (Incidentally, gasoline contains 31,500 calories/gallon)

I'm not too fussy about what I eat when I ride. I try to get 100 cal every half hour. Sports drink (I often just dilute fruit juice to 100 cal/24 oz bike bottle) banana, fig newtons, 1/2 Clif bar, 1/2 Snickers bar, or even a Twinkie will do.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
I use these almost exclusively. Usually around $2 a box of 10 at Wallyworld. I've tried many bars over the years, and the more expensive ones are usually harder on my stomach than these cheapies. The only exception is the carrot cake Clif bars, I eat those and suffer with the rumbling belly cuz there so good.
Anyway these come in blueberry also, and while the nutrition ratio may not be the best for the picky crowd, they keep me going.
Not that anyone cares, but I eat one of these an hour, and a shot of gel on the half hour (Hammer gel) with water, no sports drinks for me.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use these almost exclusively. Usually around $2 a box of 10 at Wallyworld. I've tried many bars over the years, and the more expensive ones are usually harder on my stomach than these cheapies. The only exception is the carrot cake Clif bars, I eat those and suffer with the rumbling belly cuz there so good.
Anyway these come in blueberry also, and while the nutrition ratio may not be the best for the picky crowd, they keep me going.
Not that anyone cares, but I eat one of these an hour, and a shot of gel on the half hour (Hammer gel) with water, no sports drinks for me.

What are "these", new brand? I'm guessing you mean Balance? I might try those too.

Gas is $3.15 in OH these days $3.55 in PA I wandered on over to OH the other day to fill up, saved about $7. Clif bars a $1 a pop at Walmart, may go check the label and availability on teh Balance bars.

The way my day usually shakes out; I have an early departure so I try to eat a lowered carb/ protein based breakfast with an unsweet iced tea of some sort. I usually don't then require to eat until until mid afternoon or early evening. I eat when I get hungry, not on any sort of schedule like the rest of the world. don't get all stressed out because I "missed" a meal. Some times I get hungry before I have a chance to eat, hence the need for a snackish kind of supplement. Might be cheese and crackers, might be fruit, might be nuts of some variety, pretzel bites, dark chocolate. I try to not take in any calories via drink, the only iced tea that i really like is my own home brew or McDonalds unsweet. All other fast food/sub places (exception, Subway Fuze unsweet ice tea) drinks are usually loaded up with sugar or taste just plain Nestea nasty. I'll skip those. Will only drink a unsweet soda when driving if I can't get my hands on a unsweet tea. Always thru a straw(portion control). Unfortunately a lot of college sports teams order food to be delivered to the bus post game to eat on the way home. Probably going to be pizza or subs. Again if I have not been able to get somewhere and eat prior to delivery of food it becomes a question of eating or not eating. If I'm hungry I'll eat, if it is a wrestling team I'm transporting, I definitely will eat prior to departure because they WILL NOT WANT TO STOP and eat, they might eat a few rocks and sticks, I want a meal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.