Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Think about your perfered climbing position.

For me, i like to be sitting with my hands relaxed on the top of the bars about 3" from each other, heavy on the saddle and light on the feet spinning fast.

I like to have my chest feel open so i can get the best out of my lungs. This is where i find my saddle position most important. Slide it foward or back on the rails to your sweet spot. Besides TT racing my climbing position dictates where i keep my position for other ridding. Also ride a fizike arrione which i find allows me to move forward and back a lot on the saddle. really nice benifit for long climbs.
Its hard to simulate on a test ride, put it on a trainer and a big block up front...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can geometry of the bike maximize climbing effort?

Or is it a preference thing? I feel that climbing is one of my strongest riding attributes, so are there geometry traits of a frame that would help maximize that potential?

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
rotary16 said:
What makes for a good climbing bike? Is it built into the geometry?
Climbing....a chore for big riders. A matter of power to weight more than geometry.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
rotary16 said:
Or is it a preference thing? I feel that climbing is one of my strongest riding attributes, so are there geometry traits of a frame that would help maximize that potential?
Pantani liked to be in the drops so he had Bianchi build a special bike which basically has a tall headtube suitable for a size 57 or 58 bike built onto his otherwise small bike. I guess figure out what your preferred position is when climbing, and work from there.

The ONCE team once had special climbing bikes which had 650c wheels up front. They only used it for the very last climb, though, probably for the following reason: you will need to go down on the other side of every climb, unless it's the very last one. Don't mess with the geometry to the point where your descending and riding in general are compromised. That is, unless Saiz said so or if you can switch bikes or something crazy like that.

Or, if you're interested only in uphill TTs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.