Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be on vacation in early Sept this year near Mt Washington. Is it true that cycling is not allowed up Mt Washington unless it is an organized race? I was considering renting a bike and giving it a try. The second question: Is there a good shop in that part of NH that rents decent road bikes? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
What #1 said. And even then they don't allow people to ride down.

Red Jersey Cyclery in Intervale rents road bikes. I'd have to guess there's a place or two in North Conway that does as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer. Is it not a public roadway? Are there any good, low traffic mountain road rides in the area that are allowed?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Kancamagus, Bear Notch Road, and Franconia, Crawford, and Pinkham Notches all offer plenty of climbing on great roads and you can't beat the scenery.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
KennyG said:
Bummer. Is it not a public roadway? Are there any good, low traffic mountain road rides in the area that are allowed?
hey don't worry about it. Climbing Mt. Washington on rented bike with cars alone on vacation during tourist season probably wasn't such a great idea anyway.

There's some great riding around. You really can't go wrong. Good suggestions have been mentioned by the last few posters and I'm sure that where ever you end up renting the bike will have ideas and maps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
All the above are great climbs......Hurricane Mountain Road is different but a blast!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
KennyG said:
It is not a public roadway; it's a privately-operated toll road. Even if it were public, that wouldn't mean it couldn't have traffic restrictions.

Cycling up it is allowed only on two days a year. As others have noted, no one is allowed to ride down.

Lots of wicked hill-climbing in the area, though.

·
off the back
15,579 Posts
mtbykr said:
All the above are great climbs......Hurricane Mountain Road is different but a blast!

If by 'blast', you mean a massive load of lung-busting hurt, then you are correct.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went to Red Jersey Cyclery and ended up renting a MTB instead of a road bike. They didn't have anything decent in my size in a road bike, so I just hit some local trails.

Anyway, we drove up Mt Washington, and I am very glad that I was not able to try to carry out my initial plan. That thing is a beast. We have some steep mountain climbs here in E TN, but nothing that steep for 8 miles. Not to mention the 44 degrees and 30mph winds at the top (in summer).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts