Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
bianchi77 said:
Sometimes, when I'm climbing in 10% to 15% gradient, how much power do I need for 12 km/h ? How can I maintain / train my breath ?
I lose my breath if it's long long long climb ...

Anyone has same experience with me...how to overcome that ?
practice? lower gearing?

what gearing you using??

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
bianchi77 said:
Sometimes, when I'm climbing in 10% to 15% gradient, how much power do I need for 12 km/h ? How can I maintain / train my breath ?
I lose my breath if it's long long long climb ...

Anyone has same experience with me...how to overcome that ?
If you can climb even a 10k 10% hill at 10 km/hr, you're a much stronger rider than me. In other words, you should expect to be exhausted by trying what you suggest.

(There are various formulas that show what your vertical climbing rate should be (on steep hills) for a given aerobic capacity. Maybe you can find them.)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Power required depends on your weight. Using one calculator for a 10% grade you would need between 300-360 watts depending if your weight is between 150 and 200 lbs to maintain 12 kph. Those numbers become 450-575 watts at 12kph if the grade becomes 15%.

Those are pretty high sustained watts. I think that kind of effort makes the best of riders hurt.

·
Registered
657 Posts
sometimerider said:
If you can climb even a 10k 10% hill at 10 km/hr, you're a much stronger rider than me. In other words, you should expect to be exhausted by trying what you suggest.

(There are various formulas that show what your vertical climbing rate should be (on steep hills) for a given aerobic capacity. Maybe you can find them.)
+1. That climb would have me puking a lung by 3k's.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sometimerider said:

Where can I find the formula ?
Or what kind of tool that I can use ? How much ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
99trek5200 said:
Power required depends on your weight. Using one calculator for a 10% grade you would need between 300-360 watts depending if your weight is between 150 and 200 lbs to maintain 12 kph. Those numbers become 450-575 watts at 12kph if the grade becomes 15%.

Those are pretty high sustained watts. I think that kind of effort makes the best of riders hurt.
I'm 61 kg my bike is around 7-8 kg..

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
bianchi77 said:
Where can I find the formula ?
This "Dr. Lim" formula seems to work pretty well:

bike + rider weight (in kg) x 9.8 x elevation gain (in meters)
divided by
time (in seconds) = power (in watts).
add 10% for rolling- and air resistance to fine-tune the watt number.

G

·
It is very unlikely you are going to find a road with 10 or 12 % grades for any sustained length of time, certainly not for 10 or 12 KM.

While it is probable there are places where the road will pitch up to 10 or 12 % over its length, it is not likely to maintain that for more than a few yards at a time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
toomanybikes said:
It is very unlikely you are going to find a road with 10 or 12 % grades for any sustained length of time, certainly not for 10 or 12 KM.

While it is probable there are places where the road will pitch up to 10 or 12 % over its length, it is not likely to maintain that for more than a few yards at a time.
There is the Mont du Chat starting from Le Bourget du Lac (near Aix-les-Bains), France 13.5km for 1264m, for 9.4% average. There has been a race there in early July for the last 7 years, course record 48:30. The race is open to all, no license required. Most of the profile is given here: http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Le-Mont-du-Chat&qryMountainID=6925 I don't think it's ever been used in the Tour de France, I don't know about other professional races.

-ilan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ventilation is not a limiting factor in output so your breath is the last thing to worry about. Even at your highest (max) workload you will still be exhaling o2. To increase a sustainable workload you must increase your lactate threshold (t-vent) by training by using interval and tempo workouts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
barry1021 said:
If you are climbing a 10-15% gradient in a 39-23, there is nothing wrong with your breathing. You are a world class cycler. Mt Washington averages 12% for 7.6 miles and I doubt anyone does it in a 39-23.

b21
Not true. Many people can do much harder, it's just that cadence suffers. I've done 16% grade (spikes to 24%) for ~2mi on 39x25. A 39x23 is only a difference of 2rpm. 36 vs 34rpm.

It sucks a lot, but it's not impossible. A friend did it in his 42x25. 12% actually doesn't sound that bad after that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Not true. Many people can do much harder, it's just that cadence suffers. I've done 16% grade (spikes to 24%) for ~2mi on 39x25. A 39x23 is only a difference of 2rpm. 36 vs 34rpm.

It sucks a lot, but it's not impossible. A friend did it in his 42x25. 12% actually doesn't sound that bad after that.
Gino Bartali won the 1938 Tour de France riding up the Tourmalet (a dirt road at the time) in a 46x19 (approximately 39x17). Those were the days....

-ilan

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
bianchi77 said:
I'm 61 kg my bike is around 7-8 kg..
Lightweight, huh? Ok, per the bikecalculator site, for you to do 12 km/hr up a 15 km 15% grade would require 380 watts for 73 minutes. World class.

To do 10 km/hr on a 10 km 10% grade requires 212 watts for an hour. Doesn't sound like much, but I couldn't do it. (I would require 270 watts, since I weigh more.)

View attachment 134464

·
Lurkaholic
347 Posts
toomanybikes said:

Come and visit the Alps buddy. France, Switzerland, Italy and Austria all have a few mountain passes that would easily fit this criteria. Try THIS RIDE in Italian-speaking Switzerland...averages 9.7% over 15km.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.