Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made like VaughnA and bought a closeout Pentax *ist DL from Ritz Camera. I couldn't argue with the $269 price with 18-55mm lens, and I have a pile of old Pentax film lenses to use (they're the M42 screwmount, though, so I need to procure the proper adapter first). It arrived yesterday, and I've been trying to figure the darn thing out. I have to say, though, I had borrowed a friend's D80 for a week not too long ago and actually prefer the way the *ist DL feels in my hands (which is lucky, since I ordered it never having held one). I like the little details, too, like an actual plastic door over the output plugs instead of an annoying rubber strip. Overall, I'm very happy I bought the *ist. Now I just need to learn how to see.

Here are some pictures from my first 48 hours with the camera.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Congrats on the camera purchase! It sounds like at that price you really can't go wrong, especially since you already have some glass for it.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
It is a great buy, and like you I think the feel is better than many of the lower end cameras. It fits well and doesn't feel quite as cheap.

And you've got some skills, something I'm lacking right now. Great photos, wonder what you'll do when you learn to drive it. I really like the ability to move the focus button to the ok on the back. You can then manually focus normally and hit the ok only when you need to.

Great deal from Ritz before they went under. BTW they went into chapter 11 yesterday because they owed Canon and Nikon over 20 million from what I heard. Maybe that's why the clerk said that they were out of canons and nikons because of the Christmas rush. I'd bet it was because of not paying the bills. According to one site the amount they owed Nikon was 20% of nikons yearly profit.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
I have seen the adapters for as little as 12 bucks. My suggestion would be to get one for each lens you intend to use and leave them on the lens, they come out of the camera easier that way and are difficult to get off the lens if they are tight.

edit: and I did NOT pay 269 for mine it was 400 after 100 dollar rebate! and I am still happy with the camera.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VaughnA said:
And you've got some skills, something I'm lacking right now. Great photos, wonder what you'll do when you learn to drive it.
Hey, thanks! Two of my coworkers went to school for photography, and I've been picking their brains for the last few weeks. Maybe it's working...

Here are two more from today:

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I learned a BIG lesson with mine today. I was in Jamestown Va at the museum going in and out of the sun. I didn't remove the lens hood when taking flash shots indoors. Most of the flash shots have the shadow of the lens on them. Doh!! Another reason for an external flash if I can't remember to remove the hood.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
VaughnA said:
I learned a BIG lesson with mine today. I was in Jamestown Va at the museum going in and out of the sun. I didn't remove the lens hood when taking flash shots indoors. Most of the flash shots have the shadow of the lens on them. Doh!! Another reason for an external flash if I can't remember to remove the hood.
Built-in flashes are fine in a pinch, maybe, but for the most part I find them useless. The light will be directly on the subject, and will be totally harsh. If you're going to need to use a flash, I'd invest in an external. Nikon's middle of the road is just over $100, so they're not all that expensive.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Built-in flashes are fine in a pinch, maybe, but for the most part I find them useless. The light will be directly on the subject, and will be totally harsh. If you're going to need to use a flash, I'd invest in an external. Nikon's middle of the road is just over $100, so they're not all that expensive.

The SB 600 is like $200, crazy pants.

joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of flash, I have two older (1970s) external flashes from my dad's collection of Pentax film equipment. Is there any chance I could use them on my DSLR? Do I need to be concerned about the voltage damaging the electronics in my new camera?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Mambeu said:
Speaking of flash, I have two older (1970s) external flashes from my dad's collection of Pentax film equipment. Is there any chance I could use them on my DSLR? Do I need to be concerned about the voltage damaging the electronics in my new camera?
not sure but maybe..... I would check with someone who knows first. I had heard a rumor to that effect. I thought the camera just acted as a trigger, shorting the contatcs on the strobe but I could be wrong

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I think you can use the old flashes but will have to go manual. I can't afford to pay as much for a flash as I did for the camera. I'm going to be looking for something used that will work. There are a couple of threads at Pentaxforums.com with suggestions for cheap alternatives.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
When I use the built in flash on my 10D or Olympus I always reduce the output AND shoot with the camera upside down (the flash under the lens) plus of course not having a hood on the lens.

Really tones down the harshness and shadown from the built in flash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts