Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something i don't get is how a team helps a rider when climbing... i'm not talking about club races but the pro cyclists tackling the alps.

I completely understand how they help on flat stages in terms of conserving energy for a rider, but if a rider is being attacked climbing Alp d'huez for example and he has no team mates around him, how is that a disadvantage, isn't it just down to individual climbing ability?

How can a team mate help you get back in touch with the attackers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
vinnyp said:
Something i don't get is how a team helps a rider when climbing... i'm not talking about club races but the pro cyclists tackling the alps.

I completely understand how they help on flat stages in terms of conserving energy for a rider, but if a rider is being attacked climbing Alp d'huez for example and he has no team mates around him, how is that a disadvantage, isn't it just down to individual climbing ability?

How can a team mate help you get back in touch with the attackers?

Thanks.

A few way a teammate can help

A) Assitance: the team mate can give the leader wheel alot faster than a team car can in some cases so it good to have a team mate with for that.

B) if the the finish is after the climb say in the valley on the other side then the team mate can pull then.

C) Any speed above 15 mph drafting does help and if there is any wind on teh climb a team mate can provide shelter.

D) Pacing I know at least for me I can climb much faster on someones wheel than alone so in races I find a good climber before big hills and try and hold on.

·
Registered
650 Posts
its like pacing in a marathon, they helpers pace a rider up the climb, also they set a high pace on a climb that discourages others from attacking.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
edhchoe said:
I wonder if any team will try pulling the leader guy with an invisible rope.

that one team got busted when a spectator ran across the street ahead of the leader and got clotheslined.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Depends on who's in the group, but

keep in mind that the rider without team mates might have to answer every attack himself, which makes it very easy for several riders to 'work him over.' It's a bit like one person getting beat up by three thugs taking turns. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.