Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am going to the tour this year and aim to do 3 climbs, Mont Ventoux, Le Alp d'Huez and Col de Glandon, 3 great climbs. I am doing my own training but does anyone have a training program I can follow to improve my chances of success.
i live in Hobart, Tasmania, (home of Richie Porte), where there are some great climbs, I.e. Mt Wellington, 17k climb from the city, but it is starting to get cold here so I will not be able to climb the mountain for much longer.
Any thoughts.

cheers
seadogtas

·
Registered
950 Posts
Find the steepest, unfrozen, hill in your area and repeat. Lots. Per another thread, work on your core off the bike.

Have a great time on your trip!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Is winter that bad in Tassy? Wouldn't you be able to ride the dry days to the snowline (if there is one) or is the road physically closed to cyclists? Could you do hill repeats on the lower elevations? What is your personal cut off temp for riding then? Define cold LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is winter that bad in Tassy? Wouldn't you be able to ride the dry days to the snowline (if there is one) or is the road physically closed to cyclists? Could you do hill repeats on the lower elevations? What is your personal cut off temp for riding then? Define cold LOL.
Hi, Mt Wellington is cold, it's 1271 mtrs and buried in the Southern Ocean, even in summer it's cold up there, I have been told of another climb not far from here where it's about 7%+ so I am going to give it a try, I use 2XU Subzero cycling gear during the winter so temp is not really an issue, just the road conditions, I am going to the mountain one more go this weekend as its the Mt Wellington Challenge, postponed from Febuary. Cheers Seadogtas

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Hi all, I am going to the tour this year and aim to do 3 climbs, Mont Ventoux, Le Alp d'Huez and Col de Glandon, 3 great climbs. I am doing my own training but does anyone have a training program I can follow to improve my chances of success.
i live in Hobart, Tasmania, (home of Richie Porte), where there are some great climbs, I.e. Mt Wellington, 17k climb from the city, but it is starting to get cold here so I will not be able to climb the mountain for much longer.
Any thoughts.

cheers
seadogtas
Unless a road is impassable due to something physically blocking it, one should be able to ride up any mountain climb regardless of the temperature.

Wind is the only exception. Otherwise, there are studded bike tires for icy roads and plenty of Winter cycling clothing to help keep warm.

If it's -20C and the roads are clear, there should be no reason not to ride :D !

Oh, almost forgot: HTFU :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.