Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched on google and these forums and have only found some info on Black Mountain from this link: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ky/black/698544435. I'm interested in climbs longer than 1.5 miles.

Judging from map my ride, I estimate that Black Mountain is about 7 miles long, with 2,123 ft of vertical climbing and with a grade of about 5.7% ( [2,123/36,960] * 100 = 5.7%). Correct?

If that's correct then this is an awesome climb!

But aren't there more??

·
Registered
12 Posts
everythingeverywhere said:
You posted about driving up Black Mountain. You know this area? Do you know of any other good sized climbs in eastern ky? I've never been there. Can you corroborate my estimate that the climb is about 7 miles long with an average grade of roughly 5.7%? Regards.
I didn't get to ride it, only saw it from the passenger seat of a car but I remember long sections of 10+ % with sheer drop offs from the road. I was thinking: "Why aren't there any guard rails next to the road?" but then near the top it got even steeper and the drop off's looked worse! :eek: and there they had guard rails. :p It seemed like the south side of that mountain was the steeper side,

That's the only single climb I really experienced, but it looked like a great area and can't wait to get back there again.

We got lost near Appalacia, VA ending up on some dead end mining road. There were two local police cars in town parked so we asked them for directions and after buying gas it was interesting that we saw three police cars along the route that they told us to take ... either to make sure we we got out of town because they didn't like us? or to make sure we got out of town so we were safe? :eek:

We did get to ride in Harlan County and it was cool. I don't recall the exact roads we were on, but there were some nice long grades several miles long and I recall one particular descent that just kept dropping and twisting, dropping and twisting with a max speed of 48mph. FUN! :thumbsup:

Would love to hear more stories about riding that area. The folks seem pretty poor, so don't flaunt your Trek Madone if you go there. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.