Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm looking for a solid 7 lightweight training wheel. I weight about 210lbs. No racing, just very fast club rides. About 3000 miles per year.

I'd prefer one of the Mavic Ksyrium SL or Elite's or an Easton EA70.

Thanks for your thoughts.

· Registered
657 Posts
I love the Rolf Prima Elans that came on my bike. I tip the scales at 200# and have had no problems after 3,000 + miles. My wheels are an older model (2004 or 2005) and they now make models more suited for heavier riders/poor roads (designated with RS). Mine are very light at ~ 1,300g. Price is more in line with the Mavic SLs than the Eastons.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
What's wrong with Ultegra hubs with Open Pro rims?????????

· Registered
11 Posts
I say the Easton EA70s. They have a patented spoke system which I think makes them especially good for clydesdales (like myself). I rode Easton Circuits for a few years and upgraded to EA90 SLs this spring. Easton's are bombproof, which I cannot say for the Mavics I've ridden on.

· passes gas, let him draft
129 Posts
I just looked up the Rolf wheels and don't think they'll be strong enough for heavier riders. Then again, I haven't compared specs between the two sets Rolf sells for 230lb rider Vigor RS and Echelon to my Aero X stock wheels on my 07 Giant OCR C3. Between my Aero X and Rolf's wheels, they have a similar style and spoke layout.

My AeroX are creaking everytime I stand up and ride for start ups, climbs, and sprints. I've added a little oil in between where the spokes cross per my LBS. That hasn't cured the problem. I've had two different bike shops true them and still have the same results. I'm now looking for stronger wheels. Looks like I'm going with 32 spoke something.

I'm sharing this with the OP so he can get an idea that maybe these might not be the best choice for heavier riders.

· Registered
202 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
What's wrong with Ultegra hubs with Open Pro rims?????????
Amazing! I ordered a set of 36 spoke wheels with Ultegra hubs/ Open Pro rims on Wednesday to be used for very rough roads.

I am currently at 195 lbs.

TT

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
36 hole is rarely needed on the front, but can't hurt.

· Registered
127 Posts
I can't speak about the Mavic's but I do have the 08 EA70s and can say they've been great so far. They roll smooth, have stayed perfectly true and I believe are lighter than the Ksyrium Elite's (check the specs for sure). You might want to check out the reviews of the Easton Circuit, which was the predecessor to the EA70. Overall, high marks.

One thing to note is the new EA70s did away with the special/proprietary spoke system that Easton previously had. They're now using Sapim spokes which can be replaced at any LBS should you ever need to. Another thing to note is the freewheel has more teeth than it did in prior generations, making for faster engagement.

Overall, they seem like one of the better deals out there. Not sure about the flashy stickers though :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.