Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing my 2006 Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset with 15K miles with Mavic R-Sys or HED Ardennes. I weigh 190lbs (and dropping) and ride on bad roads roads and do hill climb TTs (used to race 20 years ago).

Anyone have a chance to try both or either? I like the R-SYS but have heard some horror stories about breakage.

Thanks.

· Registered
239 Posts
or...

for the price of one pair of R-Sys ($1400) you can by 2 pairs of DT R1.1 rims laced to Chris King hubs. or 1 pair of DT/CK wheels plus nice tires plus a light cassette and a few hundred bones left in your pocket.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
seriously... its good advice above.... on OPs or dt 1.1 u can go as low as 28 f/r all cx-ray if u really care about weight.... u'd be at about 1500g on the dot...

outta the choices, i'd take the heds... at least they have a semi-useful feature w/ the rim width...

· Registered
154 Posts
Lookbiker said:
I'm looking at replacing my 2006 Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset with 15K miles with Mavic R-Sys or HED Ardennes. I weigh 190lbs (and dropping) and ride on bad roads roads and do hill climb TTs (used to race 20 years ago).

Anyone have a chance to try both or either? I like the R-SYS but have heard some horror stories about breakage.

Thanks.
Look Biker,

Like you, I was thinking about buying at set of R-SYS wheels myself. I wieght about 185 and a local bike shop let me demo them for free which was super kind of them. I have had the wheels now for almost 4 weeks and here are my thoughts:

My current bike is the Trek 6.5 Madone with the Bontrager Race XXX Lite Carbon wheels. I really love these wheels, they are expensive, but they are superfast and great on long rides/hilly roads. The wheels are super tough.. even though I dare not tempt trying to test that theory. I do most of my riding in downtown chicago so I was thinking about getting a back up wheel to take around so i didn't have to sacrifice my Carbon wheels to the pot holes in the city.

When I got the set of R-SYS wheels (These wheels have been on the top of my list for a while) I noticed that they were suprisely heavier than I expect. I did a 15 mile ride on them the first day I got them and there were some strong head winds. To match performance level I did 110 PSI in both wheels as i would do when i have my XXX Lites. Right off the bat I noticed that these wheels where very stiff. It changed the dynamic of the bike. The Madone seemed to provided good amount of comfort but the R-sys wheels pretty much erased that. Also, It felt as if the bike was a little heavier in the rear compared to my carbon wheels, which i thought was strange because i would have assumed the weight to be more well balanced. After riding them for 2 days here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

-The wheels are great sprinting out of the saddle. The wheels stiffness really helps translate your pedaling power when you are out of the saddle.
-great for climbing even thought they fill heavier.
-Breaking is alot better (but this is because i'm comparing a carbon rim to aluminum)
-Great in non-windy conditions. ( winds between 5-10 MPH)
-Felt more confident that the rims would hold up well on bumpy roads/pot holes. I did hit some big bumps that I wouldn't normally like to take my carbon wheesl over, but the R-sys handled them well.

Cons:

The stiffness is not a good factor if you ride on very bumpy/poor roads. I felt sore the next day or two after riding the wheels.

-Loud rachet noise from the cassette. I don't usually care about this, but it was very loud.

-The rattleing noise was unsettling. At first i found that it was coming from the front wheel because of the wheel magnet. but the rear wheel was making the same noise.

-Wheels don't seem to hold much speed. My XXX lites coast very well but the R-sys wheel seems to quickly slow the bike down if you trying to coast a bit.

-Not the best wheel for windy conditions.

Overall if you lived in an area with smoother roads. and it's not too windy these wheels could be a good thing. If you still like this wheel i would probably wait till next year as they are re-vamping them a bit. I did like the R-sys for the sprints and how quickly it built up speed, but it seemed like alot more work to keep the wheels spinning.

I am still in search of a good wheels set that will match the performance of my XXX Lites without getting a wheel set that is to heavy. I will probably look into another carbon set, deep carbon wheels (Even though not really sure of the big advantages of the wheels), or look to buy the Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850 24mm Carbon Clincher. But I am still debating if i should go tublar. Just not sure. But Good luck!

· S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
Very good report vboy19 and, nicely detailed.

The Bontrager XXX's have an excellent reputation and, I've heard nothing but good things from the friends I know that have them. PezCycling is also very fond of them and, they have tested many wheels.

The Shimano 7850-24CL have not been released yet, I don't think, but I have a feeling that these will be equally as excellent. These appear to be well thought out and constructed and, I like the cone type bearings in these. They are on my shortlist of potential new wheels for this coming Fall. I am also considering the HED Ardennes but, I am leaning toward Shimano at this time.

I currently ride a set of Topolino AX3.0s and, although reliability remains a concern I have thoroughly enjoyed these for the past year. The rear hub started having issues after a few months and, I had to return it for warranty repair - which was handled expeditiously and professionally. Outside this, they have been excellent. They ride great, they are lightweight, they handle heavy riders with aplomb, remain true, and really climb well. They definitely shine when climbing. But as I said though, reliability remains a concern. The rear hub issue that I had was particularly disconcerting.

For something a bit different but, ride every bit as good as tubulars the Shimano 7850 which take tubless tires are a good option. I understand Shimano is revising these soon and, the new model will be called 7950 and be competitive weight wise with the 24CL wheel. Should be interesting.

· Registered
154 Posts
Thanks RNhood. Just thought i would share my opinion on the R-sys there is alot of mixed reviews. I love the look of the wheels they are really cool looking. The wheel market is so tricky on finding a good Manufactured built wheelset. I think I have really been spoiled by my XXX's lites The problem is now I really want to upgrade to Super Record so I am trying to sell my DA 7800 I may have to wait on the wheel upgrade.

· Registered
148 Posts
R-Sys trash talk

I was really surprised by how much **** the R-sys wheels received in this thread...

I have been riding on the R-sys for a few weeks now after having been looking for new wheels for a while. I thought that I would try out the best possible option to get a proper reference.
The LBS let me test ride a pair of ZIPP 303's for a week. During that time I had time to both go out on short, fast rides alone... longer rides in hilly terrain... and a group ride in varying terrain.
The Zipps were the first pair of tubular wheels that I tried and I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed. Even though the bike weight was reduced by 700g with the wheel change, the difference was not as spectacular as one might have expected.

The experience got me to doubt the qualities of my frame (Colnago Extreme C), so I decided to try the all new Kuota KOM with SRAM Red, Mavic R-sys and other fairly light parts. Bike weight 6,4kg...

Climbing (my biggest weakness) with the Kuota KOM was a very pleasant experience in comparison to the Colnago + Zipp combination. I thought it was the frame until the LBS was insisting that the Extreme C really is one of the best overall frames in the market.

I decided to give it a shot and tried my Colnago with the Mavic R-Sys... It was instant love.

I have loved the wheels and have no plans on changing in a long while. The rattling noise that some people complain about has on my wheels derived from a badly tightened speedometer magnet on the front wheel, and the quick release "handle". The "handle" is not completely tight around the little pin that holds it in place, which causes a bit of rattling on rough surfaces.

I have been very pleased with the wheels and wouldn't change for anything else. The possibility of having the reassurance of 23mm tyres on wheels that weigh 1355g is a combination that suits me very well.

· Registered
189 Posts
I have been using R-Sys wheels on my Seven Elium SG bike for six months. I also heard the creaking noise at first when I pedaled, which drove me nuts! I was able to completely eliminate the noise by tightening each spoke one-half turn. I find the R-Sys wheels to be very light, stiff, and smooth rolling. The brake track is excellent, and they hold true well. They are probably not as bomb-proof as other Mavic wheels. Remember, those spokes are carbon tubes. Don't kick them or let them bang into things when you are transporting your bike. The main disadvantage of R-Sys wheels is that the spokes are fat and hence not very aero. They are excellent climbing wheels, which is mostly what I do. I wouldn't recommend them for a TT bike! In general, I am happy with these wheels.

· Registered
650 Posts
Sacke said:
I decided to give it a shot and tried my Colnago with the Mavic R-Sys... It was instant love.
...Which may or may not really have anything to do with how the wheels ride. One of the things that I have learned both from experiance and from this forum is that there is a significant placebo effect when it comes to new components. You may ride faster with a new wheelset but it most likely has nothing to do with a difference in weight.

I think that the R-Sys were very well marketed and thus have been severely over-hyped. I don't think they excel particularly at any one thing and I think they are severely over-priced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.