Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the clincher the choice for road bikes instead of tubulars? I am getting back into cycling and have always had tubulars and find them easy to change on the road or at home?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
99.99999% of road bikes come with clincher rims so it's not necessarily a choice for most of the people you see on the road.

But for those who have given it some thought they figure clinchers are cheaper and easier without giving up meaningful performance.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Give the Forum Search tool a try. This is a topic that has been discussed countless times.

I'm not trying to be rude, but seriously there should be plenty of info to keep you busy reading for the better part of an afternoon if you use the search tool. You will find many opinions on the topic...

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
bent steel said:
It's also a lot easier for must of us to carry a $4 tube than a $100 tire every time we go ride.
Call me Old Skool.............I still ride sew-ups and carry a spare in a figure 8 over my back and shoulders.

I just think it looks cool, then, I'm a freak!

Cheers!

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Haha!
I bought a Vittoria Corsa CX in a Mallorca shop once. The owner looked at my Bianchi, grinned, gave me the tire and said "like Coppi". So off I went, figure 8.

These days I ride clinchers. Very convenient, but I do think that my next race wheels will be tubulars. Those Zipp 303s are tempting...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
cmdrpiffle said:
Call me Old Skool.............I still ride sew-ups and carry a spare in a figure 8 over my back and shoulders.

Cheers!

Wow.

I don't know about your tire choice but there can only be full marks for style points.

·
Registered
318 Posts
[

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Yes you are a freak:D If you sparked up a butt you'd look just like one of those riders about to attack the Pyrennes in the Tour circa 1924

·
Registered
29 Posts
Velocity just came out with a rim that is 24mm instead of the normal 19-20mm for clinchers. The thought behind this is by spreading the tire out in a wider rim it will ride more like a sew-up instead of a clincher. My next wheel build will probably be these rims. People I've talked to indicated the ride is superior over a 19mm clincher. Also, my LBS indicated mfg's may take a look at this wider rim concept and may consider it in the future.

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
RS2 Rider said:
Velocity just came out with a rim that is 24mm instead of the normal 19-20mm for clinchers. The thought behind this is by spreading the tire out in a wider rim it will ride more like a sew-up instead of a clincher. My next wheel build will probably be these rims. People I've talked to indicated the ride is superior over a 19mm clincher. Also, my LBS indicated mfg's may take a look at this wider rim concept and may consider it in the future.
^ Read Zipp 101

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
If you are racing, maybe sew-ups are the way to go. However for everyday riding and training, tubes and clinchers are definitely the way to go...IMO.

john

1 - 13 of 13 Posts