Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed mavic ksyrium wheels come in regular and clincher. Clincher requires no wheel tape. Can anyone give me insight into what a clincher wheel is? Thanks

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Types

husun said:
I noticed mavic ksyrium wheels come in regular and clincher. Clincher requires no wheel tape. Can anyone give me insight into what a clincher wheel is? Thanks
First, you might should post these kinds of questions in the Beginner's forum, because this is about as beginner as you can get. Clinchers are "normal" bike tires with a tube and are so called because the rim "clinches" the tire. The only other kind of tire is called a tubular, or sew-up. The tube is sewn inside the tire and the tire is glued on the rim. Different kinds of rims for these different kinds of tires. How you came to the conclusion that Ksyriums came in "regular" and "clincher" I do not know. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, So i'm guessing non-clinchers must have some weight advantage other wise why would you go through the hassle.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Fore concept rims?

husun said:
I think you might be confusing two different aspects of Ksyriums. All models of Ksyriums come in clincher versions, but some clincher models require rim tape and others do not. In particular, all the Ksyrium models except the Ksyrium Equipe use what Mavic refers to as a Fore Concept rim, which has no holes drilled in the tire bed, and therefore don't need rim tape to cover the holes. The Ksyrium Equipe uses a standard rim, with spoke holed drilled through the tire bed, and these holes need to be covered with rim tape.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Tubular motivation

husun said:
thanks, So i'm guessing non-clinchers must have some weight advantage other wise why would you go through the hassle.
Some people claim the ride of a good tubular is a revelation. Others (like me) say they can't tell the difference. If you want the absolute lightest wheels, and want to spend some serious $$, the tubulars are the way to go. Of course, then you have to carry a 200+ gm spare tire, which just about wipes out the weight savings of the wheels. But there you go. My general advice about choosing tubulars is "if you have to ask, . . . ."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts