Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those using clip-on aerobars with drop handlebars, how often do you use the drops? I'm planning on picking up my first set from Performance (Forté T2) and I'm curious as to how much I would still use my drops. I like the idea of clip-ons for the extra hand positions for comfort, the aerodynamics it would offer for headwinds, and the tri bottle that fits in between them would be a plus. Thanks in advance.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
What is the reason for switching to clip ons?

If you are getting ready for TT's or a Tri, the aero bars will probably be your main place of hand rest. You won't be in the drops much. However, if you are adding them for another place for a comfortable position change, I'd keep the drops. I'd look at www.chucksbikes.com for a look at aero bars. They have good deals on base bars and the occasional clip on. Nothing against Performance. If you decide to go without drops, STI's can be mounted on base bars instead of switching out to aero brakes and Bar-end shifters. Hope this helps a bit. :)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
AppleCyclingComputer said:
For those using clip-on aerobars with drop handlebars, how often do you use the drops? I'm planning on picking up my first set from Performance (Forté T2) and I'm curious as to how much I would still use my drops. I like the idea of clip-ons for the extra hand positions for comfort, the aerodynamics it would offer for headwinds, and the tri bottle that fits in between them would be a plus. Thanks in advance.
Aerobars aren't good for climbing, and you don't have the same level of control that you have on the drops. Solo riding for fun/fitness on open, flattish roads, you'll find cause to use the aerobars a fair bit. Add other riders, traffic, hills, or more technical handling needs (including dodging potholes and the like) and you'll get more use out of the drops.

I don't personally find much use for aerobars in headwinds. In windy conditions, it's often gusty enough that the reduced handling ability of aerobars makes me want to avoid them. In those conditions, I tend to end up tucked with my hands on the tops near the stem - a position clip-ons can take away.

The beauty of clip-ons is that they are low-commitment - you can take them on and off for every other ride if you want.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would suggest keeping the drops. I removed my aeros for winter riding. Easier to mount my light. Now that there is more light and the rides are getting longer it's time to put them back on. You will want the drops for high speed descents, for control and braking. Love my aero's for headwinds and comfort on long solo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts