Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have been riding with toe clips since 1962. I had a break in my riding, from 1989 until last year, but the muscle memory remained. Well, I am going to have to build new memory, now. Yesterday, I bit the bullet and bought some shoes and pedals and today I installed the pedals on my bike and the cleats on my new shoes. To try them out, I set everything in the center and tightened them up.
To get used to the things, I mounted my bike in my trainer. The test was not without comedy. My left foot clicked in with no problem, but I couldn't get the right one in. Finally, I dismounted and examined my shoes. I had mounted the right cleat upside down! With that problem fixed, clicking in and out seemed pretty easy.

I do have a question for the board. The shoes had two pairs of holes for mounting the cleats. I used the forward pair. There is also some lateral adjustability on the cleat placement. I positioned them in the center, and aligned with the center of the sole. How do I determine whether this positioning is correct? Is there a rule of thumb for this? I "riding" on the trainer, everything seemed to feel OK.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
What kind of pedals are they?

The starting place for placement should be to get your foot in the same position relative to the pedal spindle and with respect to angle as it was when you were comfortably riding your other pedals. If it felt okay on the trainer you're probably close. Practice clipping and unclipping some more, then go for a ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.