Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow am I suprised. I have always ridden with toe clips on my bikes, had thought about clipless for a long time but old habits are hard to get rid of. This past weekend I rode clipless for the first time and all I can say is WOW, so much more efficient as well as being faster. Looking forward to getting in some more miles today.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I made the switch in December. My problem was heel pain, so I switched over. I should have done it from day one, because I evidently did some damage that is going to take time to heal. Now my heels hurt like crazy after working in the yard all day, but not after biking. I think it's the stiff shoes as much as the clipless pedals.

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
2wd said:
Wow am I suprised. I have always ridden with toe clips on my bikes, had thought about clipless for a long time but old habits are hard to get rid of. This past weekend I rode clipless for the first time and all I can say is WOW, so much more efficient as well as being faster. Looking forward to getting in some more miles today.
Congratulations. You gonna faw down. :)

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Ain't it cool ? You will never go back now.

I remember wearing the old slotted cleats and strapping down tight. Anyone here remember those [barbaric] days? Leaning over to un-tighten every time you needed to foot-down. The horror, the horror. Gave that up about 18 years ago.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Andy69 said:
I made the switch in December. My problem was heel pain, so I switched over. I should have done it from day one, because I evidently did some damage that is going to take time to heal. Now my heels hurt like crazy after working in the yard all day, but not after biking. I think it's the stiff shoes as much as the clipless pedals.
I 100% agree with the STIFF shoes. I have upgraded so many parts including carbon handlebars, carbon crankset, extra light and stiff wheelset, tubeless tires, carbon seatpost, tried multiple clipless pedal systems. I will tell you that the SINGLE best upgrade that I have made was getting carbon soled shoes, and this was LAST WEEK. No other SINGLE upgrade as made a bigger gain in performance. Sure tires, wheelset, and saddle have made comfort differences and made me fast, but nothing has made me faster, more efficient, and tire less than truly STIFF carbon soled shoes.

I was using specialized BG sport road shoes, and I thought they were great. Very comfortable, 3 Velcro straps, pretty stiff, or so I thought. I just bought NW revenge 3 strap (not even with a buckle) carbon soled shoe, and since the first ride, I've tired much less, pedaled so much faster, felt how INEFFICIENT I was before. I higly recommend trying stiff shoes, they don't have to be carbon, just as long as they are truly stiff. Give them a try, trust me, I was AMAZED.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I remember changing over to LOOK pedals from the toe straps and sneakers. I can still hear the "snap" as my shoe clipped in, and that was around 1991. Some pedals are easier to clip into than others. I have tried LOOK ARC, LOOK Keo,Time and Shimano. I still prefer the old LOOK's over all of them for comfort and ease.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Snakebit said:
It's inevitable. Just make sure (if your being looked at) you get up quickly like nothing ever happend.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snakebit said:

Haha, yep almost crashed into the china cabinet riding the rollers :eek: . I have 2 rides outside and 1 on the rollers about 65 miles so far and no I think I will never look back, I am a clipless convert, sneakers are made for walking not riding!

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
two types of clipless riders - those that have fallen down and those that are going to :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I second the carbon soled shoes. I had a pair, then saw some Sidis on sale. I bought them, they didn't have carbon soles. Biiggg mistake. Not only for buying shoes without carbon soles, but for buying the Sidis. I didn't like one thing about them. I changed back to my favorite Shimanos with carbon soles. Ahhhhhh. That's better.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Didn't Sean Kelly hold off, like, forever? It reminds me of a dude in our group ride who rode toeclips for the longest time. He was fast enough, so nobody really scoffed at him. He took some guff for it. Seems when he switched, he went like blazes. Made me look slow. I liked the old version of him better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never fallen, though I've come close many times.

I think it's because I've got a pair of Light Actions and a pair of SPD's de-tensioned by like 3/4's of a turn. Both will let me pull out in a panic.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
fast ferd said:
Didn't Sean Kelly hold off, like, forever? It reminds me of a dude in our group ride who rode toeclips for the longest time. He was fast enough, so nobody really scoffed at him. He took some guff for it. Seems when he switched, he went like blazes. Made me look slow. I liked the old version of him better.
That's funny. One on of the last rides last year, a couple of my riding buddies jokingly said I needed to get some clipless pedals, a jersey (I wore a t-shirt), shoes, a new helmet (I wore an old early 90s Bell), and a better bike, so they could at least feel like they were getting their asses kicked by a real biker :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts