Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I am no Guide
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I, like meny others here, am an exspierenced mountain biker who has made the jump to road and I am enjoying it emensly. I have a Specialized Allez Sport, this bike has toe cips at the moment. I have been riding the toe clips to get used to the bike but I want to make the jump to clipless. I ride SPD on my MTB. (I have tride to search this out with limited succuss)

There are meny different choices of size and shape.

What features in a pedal are important for some one new to road to look for in a set of road pedals?

I am open to any recomendations, any brands.

I don't have to stick with SPD either.

Thank you,

A

·
Registered
13 Posts
anthrax said:
Hi all,

I, like meny others here, am an exspierenced mountain biker who has made the jump to road and I am enjoying it emensly. I have a Specialized Allez Sport, this bike has toe cips at the moment. I have been riding the toe clips to get used to the bike but I want to make the jump to clipless. I ride SPD on my MTB. (I have tride to search this out with limited succuss)

There are meny different choices of size and shape.

What features in a pedal are important for some one new to road to look for in a set of road pedals?

I am open to any recomendations, any brands.

I don't have to stick with SPD either.

Thank you,

A
I rode a set of Time Alium's on my MTB for two years and had no problems going to Look's on my road bike. While it's the only road pedal I have any experience with, I like them, though they do have a little more float than I care for in a clipless pedal. I'd purchase them again.

·
Obviously not doping
155 Posts
i just got Looks

I just got my first set of road pedals and shoes as well, but I have never had any clippless pedals before. I was in the same boat with my Trek 1500, toe clips. I got Look PP337's and so far (with only 70 miles in them so far) I haven't fallen over or anything else overly embarassing. It seems really easy to clip in and out of them and I am much more confident than ever before. So, to answer your question, I got Looks and they seem great. I rode a friends bike with Shimano's and they seemed great too. get the best ones you can afford and have at it. It is definately better than the toe clips.

Tim

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Both Look and SPD-SL can be set up with "zero" float if you buy the appropriate cleats. There will still be a little bit of play. Note that you have to be extra careful about setting up the cleat position when you use zero float cleats. But I prefer their feel on the road.

I used Look from their original pedals in the 80s. When SPD-SL came out I switched, although if the Keo had been available then I probably would have gone with those. The SPD-SL cleats are a bit easier to walk in than Look cleats and don't wear out as fast; with the Look design it is slightly easier to 'find' the pedal with the cleat when clipping in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie here...float?

abegetchell said:
I rode a set of Time Alium's on my MTB for two years and had no problems going to Look's on my road bike. While it's the only road pedal I have any experience with, I like them, though they do have a little more float than I care for in a clipless pedal. I'd purchase them again.
OK, brand newbie here to road biking. I can guess, but what exactly is float? Any recommendations on how to learn more about clipless pedals and using them? Like, what is the process for clipping in and out....totally green here!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Crank Brothers Quattro

I just purchased a pair of Crank Bros Quattros - love them. Easy acces from either side, sleek, simple design, minimal parts, solid build -reasonable price. Check 'em out!

·
Registered
216 Posts
oneswolf said:
OK, brand newbie here to road biking. I can guess, but what exactly is float? Any recommendations on how to learn more about clipless pedals and using them? Like, what is the process for clipping in and out....totally green here!
Float is the amount of lateral movement you have in the pedal before you actually unclip.

To unclip you move your heel down and away from the bike. It doesn't take long to get used to, but you will probably fall a couple times at first (don't worry everyone else fell when they were learning too)..

·
Registered
211 Posts
stack height

Having the sole of my shoe close to the pedal axle (spindles) was what sold me on the SPD-SL system. From what I've seen of other pedal systems I think its the one with the most cleat & pedal flats contact, too.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Any two-sided one.

Or, "four-sided," I suppose, if you pick Eggbeaters.

Unless your knees are teh suck and you desperately need float, it won't matter too much, really. The main thing you will notice is two-sidedness. Sure, people with looks say "you get used to it." And I"m sure you do. But every group ride, every race, someone with Look (or Time RXS, other single-sided pedal) fails to clip in right. Guys sometimes spend three or four "flip-kicks" looking for the pedal.

Beyond that, it doesn't matter very much. "Large contact area" doesn't mean very much if you're using a modern, super-stiff soled shoe anyway.

There are pros that road race on Eggbeaters. Speedplays Zeroes are nice and simple, but expensive. Crank Bros quattros are pretty cool. You can really do just fine with SPDs; they're cheap any pretty reliable but don't have worlds' best cornering clearance. There are a few "other" designs that I've not tried and seem very strange, and bad for a first pedal choice (M2 racers and aerolites).

Just don't fool yourself into thinking you need a "road pedal" on a "road bike."

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
2 sides to every story

n1civicsi said:
what are 2 sided pedals?
The most popular example would be Speedplay, where there is no top or bottom to the pedal, you just click in to either side. Crank Bros. Quatros would be a "four sided" pedal. Any pedal that allows you to click into top or bottom qualifies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.