Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Shimano 105's and like them so I got them for her and she does not like them. We tried inside while I held the bike up and she does not feel confident to even want to ride so I need to find something better for her.

Speedplays?

·
Registered
963 Posts
When you say "Shimano 105s", I think you mean the pedals using Shimano's SPD-SL clips, right?

You might want to consider trying Shimano SPD pedals; my wife is trying to go clipless as well, and these are the same pedals I used when I first started. While there are road-specific designs, I found Shimano's trail versions very easy to use and learn on. The first pedals I had included a platform surrounding the clips, so you could still use them like a regular flat pedal. The models I used were also dual-entry, meaning you didn't have to think about which side of the pedal you were trying to clip into.

An added bonus is the shoes for the SPDs usually have a recess the cleats fit into, making it easier to walk in them.

Here are some examples:

This is the one I started with, with the surround (Shimano PD M424):

This is a similar pedal without the surround (Shimano PD M540):

There are numerous other versions of the SPD pedals, so you have a lot of choices. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Look keo easys. They made my wife much happier on the bike.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
My wife rides with the 2nd SPD pictured above and likes them. They're never "upside down" (can clip in on both sides) and they are easy to get out of.
That's what I started with and at the lowest setting. They are easy to clip in and out of for learners, and easy on the bank account. I am now using the 105 spd sl and love them, but wouldn't have wanted to start out with them.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You need to do more than hold the bike for her, bang the bike on a trainer if she is nervous, if she is still nervous and she doesn't want to clip and that is fine. I went straight to speedplays because I did the research and didn't want anyone's opinion, IMO she needs to own the process so tell her to read up and decide for herself, even when I did decide on speedplays, I practiced all bloody winter before I dared go outside. I fell over inside and outside but I owned the process. My DH doesn't ride road so that helps. My requirements were dual sided entry, comfort and reliability. I have never tried any others as yet but now my old bike will have 105s from my new bike so I have to learn how to use those. I am not sure that speedplays are the be all and end all, but I chose them myself.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I tried the Ultegra SPD-SLs and didn't like them. Much prefer my Speedplay X. I have wonky knees, and unclipping from my Speedplays is effortless. Not so for the SPD-SLs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the SPD-SLs, the entry level ones and I find them very easy to get in and out of. I considered Speedplay. I have a friend that has them and she loves them, but she advised me they had a much bigger learning curve.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say to get whatever you have. No need to have 2 different kinds.
I started with speedplay light action. I love them but if she will be walking in anything wet I would stay away from them. They come with different spacers and work well with small shoes.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
My wife started out on Speedplays, but has been very happy using Shimano SPDs. Her favorites have been the old 747s and 959s, but she recently got a pair of 540s and is happy with them as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Again, Look Keo Easy. They use the standard Look cleat and are made for this exact situation.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If that's what is bothering her then no. If its the effort to clip in and out that bothers her, then these are the solution.

·
9,790 Posts
Are they really any different than the 105's? They look to be the same design she has gripes about (single sided, having to slip in at an angle, etc)
If those are her complaints, then she will never be happy with any road pedal, other than Speedplay. Then they'll probably be too "floaty". She seems to whine a lot...

...and there is NO apostrophe in "105s". Although, technically, there is no such thing as "105s" - there are 105 pedals, 105 components, 105 cranks, etc; but no "105s".

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Speedplays were my first clipless pedal. This was back in the late 80's/early 90's. I found them to be a little too "floaty" for my tastes but she might like them.

The Shimano PD M540 might be a good alternative.

I currently use LOOK Keos.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
She is kind of set on the shoes that she has so I was hoping for road bike pedals so she can keep her shoes and they only accept road bike cleats.
What shoes does she have? A lot of road bike shoes will also fit the 2 screw SPD pedals. If she really wants to have 2 sides to clip in, she should check out the SPDs. Get a cheap pair for her to try.

I have to say, though to start with, mountain bike shoes are really much easier as they are not as slippery on the pedals if you are not clipped in when starting off or clipping out a bit early to get ready to stop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.