Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Clipless pedal suggestion for girlfriend?

6K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  Trek2.3 
#1 ·
I have the Shimano 105's and like them so I got them for her and she does not like them. We tried inside while I held the bike up and she does not feel confident to even want to ride so I need to find something better for her.

Speedplays?

#2 ·
When you say "Shimano 105s", I think you mean the pedals using Shimano's SPD-SL clips, right?

You might want to consider trying Shimano SPD pedals; my wife is trying to go clipless as well, and these are the same pedals I used when I first started. While there are road-specific designs, I found Shimano's trail versions very easy to use and learn on. The first pedals I had included a platform surrounding the clips, so you could still use them like a regular flat pedal. The models I used were also dual-entry, meaning you didn't have to think about which side of the pedal you were trying to clip into.

An added bonus is the shoes for the SPDs usually have a recess the cleats fit into, making it easier to walk in them.

Here are some examples:

This is the one I started with, with the surround (Shimano PD M424):

This is a similar pedal without the surround (Shimano PD M540):

There are numerous other versions of the SPD pedals, so you have a lot of choices. Good luck!

#3 ·
Look keo easys. They made my wife much happier on the bike.

#5 ·
That's what I started with and at the lowest setting. They are easy to clip in and out of for learners, and easy on the bank account. I am now using the 105 spd sl and love them, but wouldn't have wanted to start out with them.

#6 ·
You need to do more than hold the bike for her, bang the bike on a trainer if she is nervous, if she is still nervous and she doesn't want to clip and that is fine. I went straight to speedplays because I did the research and didn't want anyone's opinion, IMO she needs to own the process so tell her to read up and decide for herself, even when I did decide on speedplays, I practiced all bloody winter before I dared go outside. I fell over inside and outside but I owned the process. My DH doesn't ride road so that helps. My requirements were dual sided entry, comfort and reliability. I have never tried any others as yet but now my old bike will have 105s from my new bike so I have to learn how to use those. I am not sure that speedplays are the be all and end all, but I chose them myself.

#13 ·
#20 ·
What shoes does she have? A lot of road bike shoes will also fit the 2 screw SPD pedals. If she really wants to have 2 sides to clip in, she should check out the SPDs. Get a cheap pair for her to try.

I have to say, though to start with, mountain bike shoes are really much easier as they are not as slippery on the pedals if you are not clipped in when starting off or clipping out a bit early to get ready to stop.

#15 ·
Again, Look Keo Easy. They use the standard Look cleat and are made for this exact situation.

#17 ·
If that's what is bothering her then no. If its the effort to clip in and out that bothers her, then these are the solution.

#21 ·
I'm new to clipless. My LBS guy suggested Look KEO Classic. Lovin 'em.

Easy for a noob

They point up and I just hit them with the cleat and lock in easy peasy

Unlock is a slight twist and I can adjust the force.

I'm happy

My new shoes are Shimano Carbon.

#27 ·
I'm surprised nobody has said Speedplay in this thread. easy in, pedals don't have to be oriented in any way, just step in and go. Easy out (As long as you remember to unclip, which seems to be the biggest part of learning when riding first), great float and lightweight to boot.
I'm surprised you can't read well enough to see that the world's worst pedals have indeed been mentioned.

#30 ·
My SO got used to her Shimano 540-SL's after trying them out on the trainer in the basement. The plastic cleats are a bit easier to walk in then some others also.
Really, for many learning clipless pedals is a learning curve. The hardest part imho is learning to clip one foot in, push off, and then possibly go a turn of the crank or two to get some momentum before clipping the other foot in mountain biking style.
Even the best of us have forgotten to clip out at a stop I'm willing to wager.

#31 ·
I do see a lot of beginners using Shimano PD-M520 pedals, since they are relatively inexpensive, and since they are SPD, many wear MTB shoes so they can walk.... and to make releasing easier... some get the "Multi-release" cleat, SM-SH56

#32 ·
I tried Speedplays for a year. They were so difficult to get into, even after 12 months of "break-in, that I decided they were DANGEROUS. Especially when starting up in traffic.

I went back to MB shoes, SPD cleats, and M540 pedals. That was 5000 miles ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.