Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have regular flat pedals now and want to invest in clipless, but I don't know anything about them. I know that there are different styles and that the shoes must fit the pedal. I really don't know anything about cleats!

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
Cleats are usually either a 2-bolt or a 3 bolt pattern. Look (and knockoffs of Looks), Shimano (road), TIME RXS---are all 3 bolt patterns. Crank Bros, SPD areexamples of 2 bolt patterns.....SpeedPlay are oddballs.

Odds are, if you buy a road shoe--any cleat will mate to it.

If you buy mountain shoes-only 2 bolt cleat patterns will mate.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
My suggestion, if you're not going to just buy the pedals, cleats, and shoes from the LBS, is to find what you think you want, then post them here and ask to see if they are compatible first. Someone here will likely be able to tell you if the shoes and pedals will work together.

· Registered
838 Posts
Most beginners are best off with a mountain bike shoe and mountain bike pedals, even if you plan to ride exclusively on the road. The most common mountain bike pedal is an SPD-compatible.

If you get serious about this sport later, you can consider adding some road shoes and road pedals to your inventory then.

· Rub it............
3,929 Posts
I run the Shimano 520's on my mountain bike. This is my first set of clipless pedals in the 17 years I've been riding. I should have switched a long time ago.

Once I pick up my new roadie, clipless goes on. And they will probably be SPD's

· Registered
69 Posts
allow me to second the advice to go with SPD and MTB shoes for recreational road riding. The MTB shoes are much easier to walk in and most rec riders do some walking, even if its only into the 7-11 for a gatorade and a cookie.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
You choose the shoes first, either MTB Mountain or road shoes. MTB shoes have tread and you can walk on them. All pedals except for Crank Brothers, are specific to the shoes. If you want MTB shoes then you must choose a MTB pedal. If you choose a road shoe, then you must choose a road pedal. The cleats come with the pedals you buy, not with the shoes.

Crank Brothers are the only pedals on the market that you can use MTB or road shoes.

My recommendation is the CB Acid if you are going to use MTB shoes and the CB Quattro if you are going to use road shoes.

I also recommend getting a shoe with a buckle on top and a carbon sole. Shoes can't just fit, they must be comfortable, very comfortable, try several brands.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Mtb

They are MTB pedals but can be used road but they must be used with 2 bolt shoes which are usually MTB shoes. They look like they are Shimano SPD cleat compatible but Performance and Nashbar have some pedals with are SPD cleat compatible then they have some other pedals that you must buy the cleats from Performance or Nashbar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.