Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking on speedplays site and trying to figure out which type of pedal to get..

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the MTB style as I would like to be able to walk around with my shoes (at least better than a road bike style)

What are the differences overall between the two styles?

I think I understand a little but maybe not?

RB pedal would require a shoe thats MUCH stiffer, it also will allow for better contact?

MTB will not be as stiff, therefor I will lose some power through the flex of the shoe?

I've ridden for years with my MTB clipless pedals, but want to get the right ones for my new road bike..

Can someone explain the differences for me please? The pro's and con's maybe?

THANKS

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Rode CrankBrothers and Shimano SPD-SL with the same Garneau road shoes.

Hard to apply CB as they're a little different than anything period. The interface seemed more "spherical" and with play all over as opposed to flat and tight like a platform. The loose play did beat my skepticism in believing that I would definitely be faster with a more solid interface, and also had me realize that a platform doesn't necessarily improve upon hot spot issues. SPD-SL's are also a bit harder to clip out of, but eh. Big woop.

Main point I'd take from this is that neither is necessarily better. Shoes could make the difference, but the differences in the pedals (aside from quality) can be nulled by adaptation and general riding performance. I'd just say road pedals usually have more road clearance, and are lighter - with the price of not being double-sided (Speedplay being an exception). Virtually none of that really holds significant imo, as long as adjust-ability to work with is there.

If you want a system recommendation, I'd put out either. CB doesn't look too out of place on a road bike and wins out in price and convenience while fitting in an MTB shoe. For a road-intended system, SPD-SL's cleats are awesome as they've got rubber padding to prevent any damage or slippage when walking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You might try a search of this topic. Many opinions concerning the pros and cons. The more information you acquire and an honest appraisal of what your own needs are will help with the correct decision for you.

I went through this a couple of months ago. Short story. Rode Speedplay Frogs w/Sidi Dominators on my road bike for several years. Worked great. Decided to go with a road bike shoe and pedal system. Balanced out the pros and cons and decided on Speedplay Zero system w/Sidi Genius shoe. There is a performance/efficiency gained by a road shoe/pedal combo. Some inconvenience, but I am rarely off the bike or walking when road riding. For me, it works and I am happy I did it.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
fastfed said:
So I'm looking on speedplays site and trying to figure out which type of pedal to get..

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the MTB style as I would like to be able to walk around with my shoes (at least better than a road bike style)

What are the differences overall between the two styles?

I think I understand a little but maybe not?

RB pedal would require a shoe thats MUCH stiffer, it also will allow for better contact?

MTB will not be as stiff, therefor I will lose some power through the flex of the shoe?

I've ridden for years with my MTB clipless pedals, but want to get the right ones for my new road bike..

Can someone explain the differences for me please? The pro's and con's maybe?

THANKS
Road shoes are not stiffer than MTB shoes. "SOME" road shoes are stiffer than "SOME" MTB shoes, but not a general rule. Top quality MTB shoes often (always?) share the same construction as their road counterparts, just a difference in tread.

Unless you have a real desire to try road pedals and shoes, just buy as good a MTB shoe as you can afford and that fits well and use your current MTB pedal system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SlurpeeKing said:
these are the ones I just picked up. rode with them for the first time last night and they were really comfortable. the mesh provided really good breathing for my feet.

I have the same shoe, very comfortable and I ride speedplay frogs on my road bike. I had the red shoe first and now I have the black shoe with red trim. Specialized gear just seems to fit perfectly and it works. Get whatever works for you, I like being able to walk around in my mountain shoes, I really couldn't care less what others say or think.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CaliforniaPI said:
I have the same shoe, very comfortable and I ride speedplay frogs on my road bike. I had the red shoe first and now I have the black shoe with red trim. Specialized gear just seems to fit perfectly and it works. Get whatever works for you, I like being able to walk around in my mountain shoes, I really couldn't care less what others say or think.

This is what I'm thinking of getting.. Those exact shoes, with the Speedplay Frogs..

I notice for different material, it goes from 100.00 to 300.00 for the Frogs..

Chromoly is the cheapest and what I'm thinking of getting only based on price..

Any reason to get the more expensive?? Thanks

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Camilo said:
Road shoes are not stiffer than MTB shoes. "SOME" road shoes are stiffer than "SOME" MTB shoes, but not a general rule. Top quality MTB shoes often (always?) share the same construction as their road counterparts, just a difference in tread.

Unless you have a real desire to try road pedals and shoes, just buy as good a MTB shoe as you can afford and that fits well and use your current MTB pedal system.
THIS!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Exactly right, mountain bike shoes are road shoes with tread. Speedplay frogs are wonderfull. I made the switch years ago and never looked back. No more fearing for my life as I clopped into a food store at a food stop on a ride. When the ride is over just get into your car and drive away in your bike shoes.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
fastfed said:
This is what I'm thinking of getting.. Those exact shoes, with the Speedplay Frogs..

I notice for different material, it goes from 100.00 to 300.00 for the Frogs..

Chromoly is the cheapest and what I'm thinking of getting only based on price..

Any reason to get the more expensive?? Thanks
Speedplay has a couple different ways they do the bearings for their road pedals. Not sure if that applies to the Frogs. I don't know that a little better bearings would justify a $200 price jump for me, but I would spend a little more.

They're pretty good about putting specs and maintenance instructions on their site, so you can figure out what's inside each pedal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Frogs are pretty much all the same bearings-wise - for the road pedals, once you get out of the base model, the upper models are the same (so X1 and X2 are the same bearings, but the X3 (or X5 now, I guess) have one less bearing.

I ride Frogs on my commuter and X2 on my road bike - the x2 cleats are harder to walk on, but have more float and feel better to me. I'm another Specialized shoe fan - currently have a set of 08 Pro mtb shoes ($12 essentially new on fleabay!) - the CF soles are very stiff - comparable to my road shoes (an aging pair of Carnac ellipse shoes)

·
Registered
409 Posts
SlurpeeKing said:
these are the ones I just picked up. rode with them for the first time last night and they were really comfortable. the mesh provided really good breathing for my feet.

This is my MTB shoe. I'm very happy with it. The heel sometimes bugs me when I do very long MTB events (solo 8 hour this summer hurt more in the feet than the legs) but generally is very comfortable. Highly recommended.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Walking is big on my list since commuting and errands are major uses of my bikes.

I own exactly zero MTBs, but all four of my roadies have A520s, the single-sided road/touring SPDs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stainless Steel

I went with the stainless steel, around 130 at Performance. The cromoly one are $112, the main reason was asthetics, I just preferred the look of the stainless.

I couldn't be happier with my pedals and shoes. Clip in in very easy and out just as easy as they depend on cam action and not springs. I must have 2 years on them so far and still the same cleats and pedals. I can see some wear on the cleats but nothing that has caused me to unclip when I dont want to.

From what I've heard (and read) the titanium ones might be lighter, but also may bend if you weigh more than the average cyclist.

I think you'll be very happy. They take a little bit of getting used to as there is no tension, but once your used to that all is good.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
SlurpeeKing said:

I have the '09(?) version of these and I love them. Very comfy and pretty light, although I replaced the awful insoles with 2oz Miracles, which are softer and weigh less.

Just get whatever you have on your MTB, and you never have to think about which shoes to wear. I have MTB SPDs on my road bike and love the way they engage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts