Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just put look pedals on my bike, look cleats (red) on my shoes. I took a very quick spin out my drive and the sound from the pedal/cleat sounded just like a horse galloping. I tightend the adjustment screw (+) direction until the screw stopped. the sound didn't. I never really left the granny gear, just a short spin.

Is this a mechanical problem? a sign of a poor pedal stroke? a bad fit? the reason the red cleats have so much float?
thanks in advance.
charlie

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
The obvious answer is that somehting isn't adjusted properly....are the cleats tightly fastened to the shoe? If there is a galloping sound it's likely that the pedal stroke is creating "space" between the pedal and shoe for a split second to make a noise upon recontact. Are you certain the cleats and the pedals are a match?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
try shifting into a different gear.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
What Shoes?

Many shoes will have soles set to accept both the Look 3 bolt pattern as well as the SPD 4 bolt pattern. The SPD section will allow forward and aft movement by letting the inserted cleat plate float within the sole of the shoe. If you get a clicking sound it may be from this cleat sliding around in the sole. You should be able to recreate it by just holding the shoe in your hand and shaking it. If that is the problem then a small set screw or a dab of silicone to lock the unused SPD plate in place may solve it.

I assume you are using new pedal and new cleats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts