Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've beaten to death the clipless pedal suggestion, but I have a question about people's clipless SHOE suggegestions.

I have available to me through my work a variety of shoes from Exustar (a.k.a. Exus), Lake, and Sidi.

Anyways, within my price range, I have:

the Exustar E-SM321 shoe, which uses two velcro straps and a Sidi-style buckle

the Lake MX-165, which uses a velcro and lace combination

The Sidi Blaze, which uses two wide velcro straps

And the Sidi Bullet 2, which uses 3 wide velcro straps

For information's sake, the shoes will be paired to Shimano PD-M520 pedals (unless that's a terrible idea ... thoughts?)

Anyways, all that said and done, what have peoples' experiences been with different clipless styles and fixed gear riding. All the shoes I'm looking at get pretty good reviews for normal riding, but I'm concerned with brakeless fixie riding. Specifically, I'm worried that the Sidi velcro system not staying secure under backpedalling forces (pulling up on the forward pedal).

What are people's thoughts on buckles vs laces vs velcro? Differences for fixed riding? Make fun of me?

</epic post>

· Registered
216 Posts
I use Sidi Zetas (road version of the Bullet) and love them. I have never had any issue with the velcro straps, but then again my shoes are only about a year old.

I wanted to get the Lake shoes when I was looking at getting some new mountain biking shoes, but I ended up with some Pearl Izumis because I couldn't find any mx-165s in my size. The vibram sole is what made me interested in them for offroad use.

The SPD pedals will be fine and you will not even think about any of this after a little time on the bike. At first I was terrified of what might happen riding fixed, and now I ride without even really thinking that I am on a different bike at all.

· Registered
460 Posts
On the pedal front, it might be worth trying some eggbeaters. especially fixed I think the four sided entry makes life much easier, because you are clipping in to a moving target on a fixie.
I hammer up and down hills, in traffic and out, and I have never had trouble clipping in, nor had a foot come loose.

Best,
Gordon

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Since you are looking at mtn bike shoes, I second the eggbeaters. having used spds, I much prefer the eggs. I have a bunch of different shoe types- laced touring shoes so I can walk when I commute, mountain bike shoes with velcro, and Sidi road shoes that I ride fixed with road pedals... all are fine. Velcro will NOT come loose. My only suggestion is to be very careful of using laces with fixed gear.... you do not want to catch them in the chain.

My only consideration to add is that if the sole of the shoe is too "rubbery" you might feel the cleat if you use SPDs...

Cerddwyr said:
On the pedal front, it might be worth trying some eggbeaters. especially fixed I think the four sided entry makes life much easier, because you are clipping in to a moving target on a fixie.
I hammer up and down hills, in traffic and out, and I have never had trouble clipping in, nor had a foot come loose.

Best,
Gordon

· Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
I'm using shoes with just 3 velcroe straps and spd's and they work great. I can yank up on them all I want and never have to worry. Like someone mentioned, I'd be terrified to use laces on a fixed gear. I dunno if going with 4 sided pedals would really be necessary, I don't ever look down and just end up clipping in when I start pushing.

· Registered
414 Posts
Check fit... one or more may not even fit you well. that would narrow things down fast. that being said, my personal preference is Sidi's, that's all I have (road and mtn). I searched over and over to find older year models on closeout, and saved a bundle (50% or more of MSRP)

· Registered
92 Posts
I currently have spd pedals on my fixie and egg beaters on my road. I've been meaning to upgrade to road pedals to new beaters and will pass the old one down to the fixie (ain't having multiple bikes grand?).

I wear a pretty old set of nike mtn shoes on the fixie. They lace up. I am also in the process of looking to replace them this summer, they are looking a little worse for wear. However, they work well enough that I can take my time.

I use my fixie as an around town commuter. I ride it to friends' houses, bars and restaurants, stores...wherever. If that is your plan I recommend a softer (but not too soft) mountain or commuter shoe. They will be a ton more comfortable when you are off your bike. My nikes are so well broken in that they hardly feel any different than a normal pair of shoes, just with a slightly stiffer sole. I also prefer laces because they look more like normal shoes. That might sound petty. Velcro is fine for my workout/training shoes, but on a normal shoe it looks a little too Duran Duran/short bus for me.

· Registered
669 Posts
If velcro works for Tom Boonen it should be fine for us regular fixed gear riders. Even with the most fiersome backpedalling forces there is no way you could generate more force than the Belgian.

I'm running eggbeaters on my fixed mountain and cross bike and crank bros quattros on my fixed road bike with no complaints. I'm partial to Specialized shoes (mountain and road) for my narrow high arched feet.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Just pick a shoe that fits. On the pedal line, I'm going to be the lone dissenter. I'm not too partial to the Egg Beaters. I've heard too many stories of broken retainer springs and cleats that wear faster than others. I ran SPDs for a long time and never had trouble then switched to Time on my mtb and commuter.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice folks. I tried out the Lake 101s, and they rubbed my ankle so much on a 15km loop that my leg had a nasty scab on it the next day. I returned them and now have some of the Sidi blaze shoes on order, which I know fit me much better. I've spoken to several people with them, and they've been very happy.

I do really like the eggbeaters, but they're one of the only pedals I consistently see threads about breaking them for, from lots of different riders. As a bigger guy riding brakeless fixie, I wanted something a little tougher. The M-520s seem to be working well, and I don't find the two sided design to be difficult in any way. They're super floaty, which is a strange sensation, coming from clips and straps, but it seems like something I'll learn to love.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice.

· Registered
499 Posts
Like a few other said already. You wont rip the velcro. Most world cup track sprinters use shoes that are 3 velcro straps. I asked why once and got told they fit tighter. You can crank the straps down hard, a ratchet will eventulay brake. Yes 90% of them use a strap or straps around the shoe and pedal also but Im doubting you have legs like Gregory Bauge :)

I rode breakless right from day one with an older version of what was the top end Shimano road shoe (lazer blue with 3 straps). God I love hand me downs. Pedal wise I used a pair of Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals. The only precaution I took was to use the zero float cleats and dial the tention up a bit. It takes some serious twist of the legs while your trying to "brake" to pop out.

Currently my weapon of choice are Shimano R151s. I bought them with the intention of only track sprinting/training in them so theyre tight, and Im using a Shimano 7400 Dura Ace pedal with Toshi double straps.

bottom line is any good shoe and pedal will hold up to fixxie street riding breakless!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.