Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learned that riding a bike has a lot of 'oh sh!t' moments and today was probably the closest call with certain pain that I've had and not laid it down.

I was on a rather unpopulated portion of a local MUP that leaves town and cruising just a tick over 30 mph in my biggest gear on a long gradual descent. I had spotted a younger man on a skate board ahead of me going the same direction, he was cruising a good speed also with the long decent and I shouted clearly that I was on his left. Just as I was about to pass he swerved over in front of me and I had very little time to react at the speed I was going, I grabbed the brakes, we clipped shoulders then I entered the ditch sliding and correcting as slightly as possible before regaining control and getting back onto the MUP. The soil in that area is closer to sandy dirt and I thought for sure I was gonna bury the front tire and go flying.

I looked back to see if the skater had hit the deck when our shoulder clipped each other and he was pointing at a massive Bullsnake that had popped out onto the path in front of him. He apologized and we had a good laugh at the close call and no one getting hurt. We herded the 5-6' Bullsnake across the path before anyone else had a scare and went on our merry ways.

I ended up getting a flat about 3 miles later but I new I had gotten lucky today and changed it with almost no complaining :)

Just thought I would share

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad you guys are okay.
My close call was nearly getting hit by a boat. Yeah. Yahoo was towing his boat as I was climbing, leaving me a few feet, and forgets his boat is wider than his truck. I remember hearing the truck on my left and seeing the truck, and something didn't sound/feel right, it was the slipstream between the 2, so I rolled a little right, and then this boat comes through.
Man I hate that.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Well, the snake certainly puts that one in the category of notable freak incidents. But if you are going to routinely be passing non-cyclists at 30 mph on a MUT, it seems to me you're inviting a lot of close calls and worse. Just my opinion. I do notice you said it was not a very busy section, so perhaps you're using more discretion than it appeared at first glance. Glad all three of you were unhurt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In hindsight I should have slowed down a little bit more but I knew he had spotted me on a slight bend and he only swerved for the snake. When I say rather unpopulated, he was the first person I had seen in 6-7 miles. I rarely travel that fast and usually slow down to over take slower people on the MUP but he was moving at a good rate of speed also as it took me a while to catch him.

I really wish another biker had seen my off-roading skills but there wasn't anyone else around.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
you sir were speeding probally at twice the speed. Most MUP speed limit is 10-15mph. and i'm ashamed to say that 9 out 10 cyclists (yes, even those cyclists who work closely with local groups to promote safety) will treat MUPs like their own personal speed tracks and probably buzz pedestrians just as much as cars buzz the cyclists. There's a reason why joggers don't like cyclists.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Probably because they have their headphones on and can't hear anything and are thusly startled when you go by, even though you gave fair warning.
speeding like a lunatic and buzzing a jogger,.. might just make the same jogger think "payback" when he's behind his car. Karma has a knack to work in full circle.

If a cyclist chooses not to care for their lives, then fine with me. Go jump off a bridge for all I care. But at least think about the ramifications for other cyclists whose image they may tarnish. Or are cyclists just a self righteous bunch who simply are incaple of taking a higher road when it comes to showing some courtesy and common sense toward pedistrians on a MUT? You see, if cyclists want to play this blame game, they'll lose all day long because they are the ones breaking the laws quite a bit, as much as they are demanding the laws to protect them.

Blowing by stops and redlights. Buzzing pedestrians. Speeding on MUTs. I can go on and on, but I rather see cyclists take the higher road of responsiblity and courtesy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bull snakes are so scary! The first time I saw one on my local MUT I thought it was a rattle snake, or at least it thought it was a rattle snake! It reared up it's head when I slowed to take a look at it.

I'm glad you're okay and I do wish I saw your great recovery.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,625 Posts
I had a mom try to kill her kid last week. Was tooling along the 2-lane MUT, had a 25MPH tailwind, so even in low gear I was being blown along.

About 50 meters in front of me I spot a mom going for a walk with her 6 year old. Kid was barely as tall as a 700C wheel with roadie tire. They're in the right lane as am I. I freewheel with my campy hubs to let them hear the old rattlesnake (the only thing people around here react to). Mom turns around looks at me and sees me, makes eye contact as does her daughter-they know I'm there and coming. Now there's lots of ways to react....Now *MOST* parents will leap in front of an oncoming danger to protect their kid, or throw them out of the way of the danger....what does this mom do?

Mom LEAPS into the middle of the left hand lane cutting off safe passing...leaving her daughter alone in the middle of the right lane, without saying a word or gesturing or anything...kid is completely left to fend for herself, with no clue what on earth to do about 200lbs of bike and person coming her way.

Every move I try to make around the kid to pass (while breaking), the kid mirrors and ends up right in front of my line again....finally I manage to fake the kid out and miss her...I felt the very back stub of her sneaker's heel under my front wheel. I turn around as best as I can to make sure I don't fall over-kid isn't screaming and is still walking. So she was fine-as the two outcomes were either that she had a broken foot/leg or was scared but fine....and if she had a busted foot/leg from 200lbs of bike/rider she'd have been screaming.

Mom never said a word out loud to myself or her kid that I could hear the whole time. My HRM was pinging for the next few miles without me putting any effort into the pedals.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I had a mom try to kill her kid last week. Was tooling along the 2-lane MUT, had a 25MPH tailwind, so even in low gear I was being blown along.

About 50 meters in front of me I spot a mom going for a walk with her 6 year old. Kid was barely as tall as a 700C wheel with roadie tire. They're in the right lane as am I. I freewheel with my campy hubs to let them hear the old rattlesnake (the only thing people around here react to). Mom turns around looks at me and sees me, makes eye contact as does her daughter-they know I'm there and coming. Now there's lots of ways to react....Now *MOST* parents will leap in front of an oncoming danger to protect their kid, or throw them out of the way of the danger....what does this mom do?

Mom LEAPS into the middle of the left hand lane cutting off safe passing...leaving her daughter alone in the middle of the right lane, without saying a word or gesturing or anything...kid is completely left to fend for herself, with no clue what on earth to do about 200lbs of bike and person coming her way.

Every move I try to make around the kid to pass (while breaking), the kid mirrors and ends up right in front of my line again....finally I manage to fake the kid out and miss her...I felt the very back stub of her sneaker's heel under my front wheel. I turn around as best as I can to make sure I don't fall over-kid isn't screaming and is still walking. So she was fine-as the two outcomes were either that she had a broken foot/leg or was scared but fine....and if she had a busted foot/leg from 200lbs of bike/rider she'd have been screaming.

Mom never said a word out loud to myself or her kid that I could hear the whole time. My HRM was pinging for the next few miles without me putting any effort into the pedals.
you should buy some brakes.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,625 Posts
:p

Avoiding was a better strategy at the time... can easily lock my wheels, but the only thing worse than hitting a kid with a wheel at speed is endoing into or falling over onto them.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Or just use the damn brakes. Should have been on the brakes immediately when he saw a little kid, and looking for a way out. And hitting the kid or crashing over him because he doesn't know how to brake properly are not the only alternatives -- he coudl go off the path and crash by himself.

No sympathy here.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,625 Posts
Or just use the damn brakes. Should have been on the brakes immediately when he saw a little kid, and looking for a way out. And hitting the kid or crashing over him because he doesn't know how to brake properly are not the only alternatives -- he coudl go off the path and crash by himself.

No sympathy here.
So you too didn't read the part where I said I was braking? TL : DR eh?

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
So you too didn't read the part where I said I was braking? TL : DR eh?

Have a nice day!
You have a nice day, too!

I did indeed read the part where you said you were braking. And yet, you managed to run over a kid's foot, somehow.

I'm glad nobody got hurt seriously.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My story:

For starters, I've been cut off dozens of times this past week. I don't know what's going on, perhaps because of the recent rain people have forgotten that cyclists exist. I always let it slide, to avoid what happened last night. This time I didn't.

Yesterday a pickup truck cut me off pulling out of a parking spot, I let it slide.

A minute later, he cut me off again at a stop sign and honked at me.

In retrospect, I should have stayed quiet, civil, polite, but at the time telling him to "Go f*** yourself" seemed like the best course of action. It was as he was turning onto a side street, so I thought it was a closed debate.

Wrong. 15 seconds later I hear a roaring engine behind me, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who it was.

At first it looked like he was going to run me over, but then he changed his mind and decided to give me a "stern yelling" instead.

Funny part was that he was yelling at me, while we were both cruising and 20 MPH, with his windows closed. Presumably, he didn't have kind words to say, and judging by his tomato red face and bulging veins, he wasn't apologizing.

After 30 seconds of muffled ablurgablug through his closed window, he sped off, confident his point had gotten across.

I'd be damned curious to know what he said.

Regardless, what followed was a great ride.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Just keep in mind that the next time this mom and her kid are in their SUV, they may just return the favor by slightly tapping on your rear wheel oh ever so slightly.

You want the drivers to show you courtesy when you're riding on the road? then yer better show the same goddam courtesy when the drivers are jogging on the MUTs. As I said earlier, Karma tends to work in full circle.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
My story:

For starters, I've been cut off dozens of times this past week. I don't know what's going on, perhaps because of the recent rain people have forgotten that cyclists exist. I always let it slide, to avoid what happened last night. This time I didn't.

Yesterday a pickup truck cut me off pulling out of a parking spot, I let it slide.

A minute later, he cut me off again at a stop sign and honked at me.

In retrospect, I should have stayed quiet, civil, polite, but at the time telling him to "Go f*** yourself" seemed like the best course of action. It was as he was turning onto a side street, so I thought it was a closed debate.

Wrong. 15 seconds later I hear a roaring engine behind me, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who it was.

At first it looked like he was going to run me over, but then he changed his mind and decided to give me a "stern yelling" instead.

Funny part was that he was yelling at me, while we were both cruising and 20 MPH, with his windows closed. Presumably, he didn't have kind words to say, and judging by his tomato red face and bulging veins, he wasn't apologizing.

After 30 seconds of muffled ablurgablug through his closed window, he sped off, confident his point had gotten across.

I'd be damned curious to know what he said.

Regardless, what followed was a great ride.

Never ever get into an altercation with a red tomato raging driver. If possible, just slow down or stop completely and let the guy go away. Never ever argue with a car.

However, judging how many cyclists are riding pretty reckless on MUTs, it would not be an improbablity that perhaps this dude was just (wrongly) pissed off at you because of an incident that he (or maybe his child) might have had with another cyclist on a MUT. People remember these things, and sadly it's a bit of a human nature to "payback" what has been done to us (however wrongly that payback might be).

But I'm glad you're ok.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Well, I just don't get what you guys are doing on a MUP at speed, at least when there's any living thing on the path. Seriously, I think you're nuts going 30mph passing anyone in such a situation. You'd get no sympathy from me if you had gotten seriously hurt in this incident. All sorts of things could happen, many of which will lead to a collision which will always be ugly. My rule is: If you want to noodle along at 10mph on a Sunday afternoon, MUPs are fine; for any kind of serious riding, they are completely and utterly inappropriate.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Well, I just don't get what you guys are doing on a MUP at speed, at least when there's any living thing on the path. Seriously, I think you're nuts going 30mph passing anyone in such a situation. You'd get no sympathy from me if you had gotten seriously hurt in this incident. All sorts of things could happen, many of which will lead to a collision which will always be ugly. My rule is: If you want to noodle along at 10mph on a Sunday afternoon, MUPs are fine; for any kind of serious riding, they are completely and utterly inappropriate.
^^^ no kidding, after reading this I know why I stick to the roads (with at least one buddy) and avoid some of the other cyclists.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.