Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever had a really close call before....?
so much that if you hadn't done what you did at the time... a catastrophe would have been imminent....

i was riding on a boardwalk yesterday where there is clearly a flow of pedestrian traffic that would adhere normally to the same rules cars would on a road.... (walk bike blade run on the RIGHT side of boardwalk....)

i was flying at about 30km/h when out of nowhere... a kid decides to bolt accross the walk running infront of my bike!!! ( had less that a half a second to react..)
anyway, not to drag this on; but i miraculously ended up stoping my bike like a BMX --where you bring the back tire skidding sideways and stop perpendicular to my intended path..... being still clipped in, i casually kept riding like it was nothing and carried on my day....

it was pretty amazing how much control one has on his road bike if really needed, but 2 more inches and that kid would FOR SURE had been in the local emergancy room to have a Madone removed
..... whew!! :mad2:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Honestly, a boardwalk on a saturday is not a place I would be "flying". Expect any and everything to come at you unexpectedly in these instances and adjust your speed accordingly. I find the cyclist TT'ing along a bikepath to be courting disaster. I will take my chances in traffic rather than possibly plow into a small child. You were, as they say in Driver's Ed, "going too fast for the situation"...

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

i apologize for offending anyone by the circumstances .....
i wasn't plowing through crowds of people by any means.,,,,,,(path is 30+ft wide & pretty empty)
yes.. a lakefront path is less than ideal (lesson learned), but
things happen everywhere.... (thanks for the lecture none the less)
Talking about chances or probabilities of disaster on different roads is a different post.
I've had a tree fall infront of me before so don't talk to me about chances.

30km/h (not mp/h) on a huge open path is hardly "TTing" at a non-controllable pace...
Squirrels, kids, cars, trucks, trees, birds etc etc.... are not restricted to boardwalks....

Actually..... I just saw a kid cross a street the other day!??!?:shocked: :shocked:

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
I'm not here to judge your judgment, but to answer your question.
I was riding in a marked bike lane on the right side of the street flying along minding my own business when an old guy with his wife ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of me. I turned in behind him hard on the brakes skidding both the front and back wheels. So when he sees me he stops... blocking my path. Luck was on my side and I body slammed into his rear fender, which gave way and absorbed my energy. I came out of it without a scratch or a bruise, cant say the same for the old guys car though....
Many things came together for this to happen and me not get hurt, if I hadn't gone behind him I would have been sprawled out in the street or worse. Now I always make eye contact at stop signs or I slow way down, lesson learned!!
The last time was a right turn vehicle just as I was riding next to him, "Marked Bike Lane" again... I screamed and locked em up, missed but flat spotted my new set of tires. Gotta be careful out there!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Multiuse paths with pedestrians, kids, dogs and rollerbladers are about the most dangerous places you can ride. I'd rather ride on the freeway at rush hour. Kids running in front of you on a MUT is pretty much guaranteed to be a regular occurrence. If I have to ride a MUT, I generally ride at a walking speed any time another living creature is anywhere in sight.

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I generally ride at a walking speed any time another living creature is anywhere in sight.[/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

john nelson,
it's a bicycle..... not a nuclear warhead!?
i can sell you a half decent stationary that you can ride in your basement...ALONE with the lights off and the door closed,......mind you, there may be traces of bacteria in the room so a good thourough steaming should rid you of the rest of the living creatures.....::
this should assist you in accelerating to walking speed in no time.........

FOR THE THRID TIME PEOPLE:
'IM SOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

i just wanted to hear your close calls -- whether it was dumb judgement or not!!
moderator: feel free to free up some memory with this failed
attempt at a discussion.....

·
Registered
222 Posts
OK, close call: I was at a stop light waiting for the green so that I could turn left. Light turns green (no oncoming traffic or even anyone behind me) and I begin to clip into my pedal so that I can roll but I just cannot get the cleat engaged in the pedal and must've futzed around for ages til the cleat begrudgingly popped into the pedal. Well just as I do this an SUV just flies thru the red light from the right - he must've run it by 5 full seconds. I guess that sticky cleat or my own ineptitude saved my arse that day. I never take it for granted (cycling or driving) that I'm safe because I clearly have a green light...

·
Registered
494 Posts
The kid is lucky, but you are in the wrong here.

You're not riding safely for yourself or other people if you are riding that fast on a boardwalk that you have to slam on the brakes because a kid stepped in front of you. It's one thing if this happened on the street where there are actual traffic laws. You can't assume otherwise on the sidewalk, or boardwalk. Slow down. You're in the wrong here. Big thumbs down. :frown2:

0 Posts
My close call ... hauling buggy to get home in failing light. Country road, flying over a corner on a short hill, top out ... and there's a deer, a buck, a real stag-sized monster, coming up out of the ditch ... he stops, falters, I can see the muscles in his shoulder twitching ... I'm going so fast I had to swing wide ... I'm face to face with Furzilla ... He grunts when I fly by ... I laugh and say a quick prayer when it was over.

Then there was the squirrel that -- no kidding -- leapt through my front wheel, unhurt. Lucky for him, low-spoke Rolfs.

·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

rook said:
You're not riding safely for yourself or other people if you are riding that fast on a boardwalk that you have to slam on the brakes because a kid stepped in front of you. It's one thing if this happened on the street where there are actual traffic laws. You can't assume otherwise on the sidewalk, or boardwalk. Slow down. You're in the wrong here. Big thumbs down. :frown2:
---------------------------------------------

if you actually took the time to read my posts... you'd probably get the general impression that i agree with you.
i AM in the wrong.
it WAS a bad judgement call.

and i probably wont ride it again...

YOU on the other hand... have had 136 posts.....
IN A MONTH!!!!!!!..... so you're probably just a little opinionated right now....:) :cool: :p :( :idea: :cryin: :aureola: :mad2:
maybe try ...... sleep......??....

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My latest close call was at the end of the bike leg of a rainy sprint tri. I was a large affair (800+ entries) inc. elites down to intro kiddie division. The bike leg was advertised as a closed course. There was a left turn at the end of the course leading back into the transition area. When I reached that point (having slowed to about 20mph for the turn) all of a sudden I hear one of the course volunteers hollering "let the kid by!"". I grabbed the brakes, skidded the rear tire a bit, & missed this 9 or 10 yr old kid by about 2 bike lengths. Unannounced to the racers, they decided to start the kiddie biking leg crossing the competitive bike course. Didn't crash but dumb course lay out for sure!!!

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
On my last ride I had a suicidal squirrel dart out in front of me, stop in my path, sat there trying to decide if he wanted to go back or go forward, dart forward then, at the last moment, decided to go back then decided to turn around and go the original way he was going. That last minute U-turn saved its little life because I was bracing myself for either running it over or it getting caught in my spokes and forcing me over the bars.

Same ride, about two miles further, on the same MUT, a pedestrian dropped his cellphone in front of me. As he realized that it was slipping out of his hand he swatted at it to try to catch it and this resulted in him throwing it right into my path with me bearing down on it within 15 feet at a little over 12 MPH. I recall hearing the rear tire skid along the pavement as I slammed on both brakes to avoid running into this guy who was now bending down to pick up his phone directly in front of me. Yes, he had the "deer caught in my headlights" look on his face as he realized that he almost became road-kill and he thanked me for not running him over as I passed.

On a previous ride I came within 2 feet of a rattlesnake that was giving warning that it was going to strike (rattling away). Luckily for me, it was not coiled up in a striking position so I just coasted past it. Albeit, I almost had a heart attack when I realized that the sound I was hearing wasn't my buddy's bike's freewheel that was ahead of me on the road as he was coming to a stop. I almost hit him, too, because he stopped where he did. I just wanted to put some distance between me and that rattler that he had stopped within 10 feet of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts