Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
If they had this when I was commuting in Norfolk, Va, you could map my commute with little white circles.

I actually got warned by a Norfolk Police officer about a dangerous intersection on Church Street. If they know it's dangerous, why not do something about it?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
bigbill said:
If they had this when I was commuting in Norfolk, Va, you could map my commute with little white circles.

I actually got warned by a Norfolk Police officer about a dangerous intersection on Church Street. If they know it's dangerous, why not do something about it?
What are the police supposed to do about an intersection, besides monitoring for traffic violations? The cops aren't in charge of putting up road signs or lights, and they don't do road construction.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
Forrest Root said:
What are the police supposed to do about an intersection, besides monitoring for traffic violations? The cops aren't in charge of putting up road signs or lights, and they don't do road construction.
You're right. I called up the Bike coordinater for the Broward Planning Commission and they have meetings the second Wednesday of every month, so maybe I'll be able to open my big mouth and try to influence some change. I'll be there next Wednesday and see what's up.

I should do something rather than complain all the time. Who knows?
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
lookrider said:
You're right. I called up the Bike coordinater for the Broward Planning Commission and they have meetings the second Wednesday of every month, so maybe I'll be able to open my big mouth and try to influence some change. I'll be there next Wednesday and see what's up.

I should do something rather than complain all the time. Who knows?

When I lived in SC, the bike club got a copy of the signage manual that determines all the placement of signs and roadway width with regards to minimum width and striping. We found that many roads and intersections were not to code and it made it much easier to complain about a certain intersection or section of road if we could tell them the page and paragraph they were violating. I was suprised by the most common answer "sure, but we didn't think anyone would notice". Without getting political, the laws are on the books but not being enforced.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
Thank, I'll keep that in mind.

bigbill said:
When I lived in SC, the bike club got a copy of the signage manual that determines all the placement of signs and roadway width with regards to minimum width and striping. We found that many roads and intersections were not to code and it made it much easier to complain about a certain intersection or section of road if we could tell them the page and paragraph they were violating. I was suprised by the most common answer "sure, but we didn't think anyone would notice". Without getting political, the laws are on the books but not being enforced.
I'm going to go to this first meeting and just listen to what's being said. The guy I spoke to is an avid biker and I think they are trying to do the right thing in that regard...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MB1 said:
There are so few reported incidents that I just have to believe that very few know about that web-site (I didn't until now).

I think it was just a recent "mashup".

It'll be a good place to vent and name license plates of idiots who want to do battle with me.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top