Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't wait 'til we get this over with. We're both pretty tense right now.

John insists that I need to bring a driver's license with my married name on it. I say that the new SS card, passport and marriage cert is more than enough. He doesn't think so :rolleyes:

Anyway. What else do we need to do? Called electric company; checked in with the water board; movers coming for estimate tomorrow; still have to issue change-of-address with the world, but that's in the works.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Christine said:
Can't wait 'til we get this over with. We're both pretty tense right now.

John insists that I need to bring a driver's license with my married name on it. I say that the new SS card, passport and marriage cert is more than enough. He doesn't think so :rolleyes:

Anyway. What else do we need to do? Called electric company; checked in with the water board; movers coming for estimate tomorrow; still have to issue change-of-address with the world, but that's in the works.
Does bringing the DL add a lot of weight to your handbag? Why quibble? Make him happy. If he faints in the closing, you'll have to drive home. What if you get stopped?

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
terry b said:
Does bringing the DL add a lot of weight to your handbag? Why quibble? Make him happy. If he faints in the closing, you'll have to drive home. What if you get stopped?
It's not about the weight or what they need for closing...It's about who wins the argument. :p

You're married. You should understand.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He thinks the license needs to be in my married name. He's very worried about that. I have no problems bringing it. The passport is my photo ID; the SS card shows my new name. The marriage cert branches the two. That's what I'm thinking- he's worried for nothing.

·
Registered
935 Posts
And the problem with carrying your license to something you seem to consider important is???
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
over? Over?!! Ha! its only starting!!!

hire movers. keep your sanity. find the nearest Home Depot.

and enjoy your mortgage honeymoon for the first 5-6 weeks.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
more

Christine said:
What else do we need to do?
Shave your legs and prepare to break in the new house!

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Bring a sense of humor and some patience.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's a "mortgage honeymoon"? Man do we have a lot to learn.

Potential mover just left, he gets bonus points for being a mountain biker. :thumbsup: I feel good with his company- great reviews from locals. Pretty chill and upfront with a sense of humor. Even if it is almost $1,000 to move a 2br across town :eek: Yup, the bank account drainage begins! :eek:

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Congratulations and good luck- you now have the next 30 years to spend on fixit projects :D

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
Hubby should chill... You will be amazed at closings and how both sides and the bank and title co's will work together and make the transfer fly.

Eat a banana before you go to stave off the hand cramps your gonna get when you sign that endless parade of paper.

Chill a bottle of bubbly , clear your calender for the rest of the day and savor becoming a property owner and king and queen of your own castle.

Just don't let the hubby know that in the end ...Queen trumps King:thumbsup:

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Is the issue that you don't actually have a driver's license with your married name?

If so, fix that for reasons other than closing on the house.

It is clearly important to your husband whether it is to you or not.

Congrats on the new home and enjoy.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Christine said:
He thinks the license needs to be in my married name. He's very worried about that. I have no problems bringing it. The passport is my photo ID; the SS card shows my new name. The marriage cert branches the two. That's what I'm thinking- he's worried for nothing.
I don't think that your Passport has your address on it. I've been in situations where it has been REJECTED as a form of personal identification for that reason.

Just call the closing office for what you need.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Done and DUN. Took about an hour and 1/2. About eight people at the table. Realtor and bank rep had some kind of argument in the hallway in the beginning; original owner kept saying to her lawyer, "I'm confused!! What is this?" for each document she had to sign; our lawyer was very calm and explained what we were signing along the way.

He even had a great sense of humor about it: "Sign and initial this stack; wake me when you're done." "This is the most ridiculous document you have to sign, it verifies that the signatures are in fact yours." :p

My passport and drivers license have my maiden name on them, but with the original marriage certificate, they were fine. The guy joked, "Imagine if you didn't have proof that it's your name: You could be his girlfriend, and his wife could be at home saying, 'what the hell is going on?'"

So it was relatively painless. Moved two truckloads of stuff already. One truckload = approx. 30 liquor store boxes. Will spend the rest of the week packing the small items, get the movers in on Saturday for the furniture.

And if anybody has experience moving a cat, by all means let me know how to keep her from spray-marking the new territory. Already brought some of her stuff (mat and blanket) to get her scent in there.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Christine said:
And if anybody has experience moving a cat, by all means let me know how to keep her from spray-marking the new territory. Already brought some of her stuff (mat and blanket) to get her scent in there.

Personally, we have always just kept them in a room for a few hours with their stuff, then opened the door and let them investigate. Never a problem with marking. But if you have concerns...

Clean the house well, especially carpets. You can use a pet odor neutralizing solution if you want, that can't hurt and is a very good idea if she has had issues in the past and if there were previous pets in the house.

Keep her in a room (or a couple rooms, or the basement, or whatever) with her stuff until your stuff gets in the house. Then let her walk around the house while you are there, she'll walk the perimeter of all the rooms. Go from room to room with her, but don't say anything or try to comfort her. Just let her do her thing. That will help show that this is "your" space, you are comfortable there, and not stressed out. Then go sit in your "normal" chair or spot and let her wander on her own. When she comes into view, say hello to her.

If you are calm, she will know everything is ok in short order. If you act "weird", she will pick up on that and it will add to the stress.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts