Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some ideas of cool weather clothing? As I sit here looking out at the fresh snow and wanting to ride I am wondering about what I should get to wear when its probably low to mid 40's and above? I am always cold but don't have a fortune to spend, most of my rides are early morning by myself even in summer it is sometimes in the high 60's when i am out so arm and leg warmers are looking good but not sure about in the 40's. I won't ride until the salt is off the rode as they dump tons of that and sand out in the country and I can't afford a winter bike. any suggestions would be helpful

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
For low-mid 40s, I wear:
-base layer undershirt
-long sleeve jersey or base layer shirt
-either a vey thick long sleeved winter jersey , or a regular long sleeved jersey and a thin jacket
-shorts and tights
-shoe covers
-full finger winter gloves

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Easy, says a guy who wishes he were still in California

I don't think I ever rode in weather colder than 60 degrees until I moved to Reno from Southern California . I couldn't BELIEVE people got on bikes when it was "only 20 degrees above freezing." But it's 34 here today, and I just got back from a very pleasant ride in the sunshine.
The basic advice is the same for every sport: Dress in layers. I can ride comfortably down to the mid- to low 30s, depending on how hard I'm working, with something like a long-sleeved T-shirt (cotton's OK, but coolmax or polyester is better), a light insulating layer (fleece or an old wool sweater) and a wind shell (I like microfiber because it breathes and repels water a little, but nylon or tightly woven cotton or poly works, too). Gloves on the hands, (cross-country ski gloves work fine, but so do cheap hardware store garden gloves), maybe a thin beanie under my helmet (mine is wool, but poly fleece is about as good). Legs get baggy nylon "tights," which aren't very tight, with poly wind pants over them as needed.
Thrift shops are good sources for some of this stuff when money's tight--I bought a merino wool sweater the other day for three bucks, and in quality and weight it's almost identical to a wool bike jersey that cost me $80. Those places are full of cheap fleece and old sweaters for a few dollars apiece.
I usually don't go out when it's cold enough to freeze my face, but in extreme cold weather a balaclava or ski mask protects you. Mid-40s is really not very cold once you're out and moving, so it's OK to be a little chilly when you start. If you get too warm, peel off a layer--you can always put it back on when you start down the hill.
Check www.icebike.com for some good advice on REAL winter riding.

the embalmer said:
I'm looking for some ideas of cool weather clothing? As I sit here looking out at the fresh snow and wanting to ride I am wondering about what I should get to wear when its probably low to mid 40's and above? I am always cold but don't have a fortune to spend, most of my rides are early morning by myself even in summer it is sometimes in the high 60's when i am out so arm and leg warmers are looking good but not sure about in the 40's. I won't ride until the salt is off the rode as they dump tons of that and sand out in the country and I can't afford a winter bike. any suggestions would be helpful

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
the embalmer said:
For 40+, I wear a long sleeve undershirt made from one of the high tech synthtics that wicks moisture away but not heat. Mine are not bicycle specific, they are from cross country sking. There's more variety and choice in the XC wear for colder temps and it sounds like you live in a place where they would be available. You'll be able to find some great "end of season" deals right when you need them at the beginning of bike season. I put a bike jersey over the long sleeve undershirt. Anything that gives you another layer will work, I use a bike jersey for the back pockets. Then over that I use a cheap windbreaker as a wind shield.

For the bottom I use tights. I have some Pearl Iz. AmFibs, but I rarely use them below 45, they're too hot. When I do use them, I use them straight (bike shorts and AmFibs only) to around freezing. My warmer temp solution is similar to the top layer above. I put on some long johns made from one of the high tech synthetics from XC sking, then some bike specific light wind tights as a wind blocker. Approaching 50 degrees, I lose the long johns.

Hands and feet are always my biggest problem. In the 40's I use a high tech med. duty sock (again from XC sking) and place a sandwich bag over my toes for a cheap windblock. I don't own any of the neoprene wind booties for biking, but often think about investing in a pair. You'll hear good and bad about them. If it gets bad, I'll stop at a superette and look for some of the cheap chemical heat packs to put next to my feet. For my hands I use the same gloves I drive with all winter long. Polar fleece with a leather gripping surface.

I have a hot head, so I often wear nothing but my helmet above 40. I sometimes use a ear wrap head band that I got as a give away at some event.

Hope that helps
Scot

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
if your short on cash, the 3 most cost effective items you'll need are: a windtex vest, arm warmers, and leg warmers. santini makes nice reasonably priced stuff. check out prendas.co.uk. great guys and fast shipping to the states.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts