Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one with coworkers that are totally clueless about bikes that keep asking you to look at Craig's List adds? One of the ******** I work with has decided he wants to do a Tough Muddier race next year so he wants to start riding a road bike. He keeps showing me adds for bikes that won't fit him. At first it was kind of funny but now its getting kind of sad. He has shown me adds for a 48cm WDS bike and a 59CM bike. Asking me if he should buy them. At this point I want to tell him to buy a 20in and but aero bars on it. I spent most of my 20s working in bike shops and I am still amazed at how people think they don't need bike fits because they just want to get in shape.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
At least your co-workers are interested in the sport. Just be long-suffering, patient, and informative. In the end, they'll just respect you even more on yet, another level. Besides, everybody was a newbie who grated somebody's nerves at some point! :D

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Am I the only one with coworkers that are totally clueless about bikes that keep asking you to look at Craig's List adds? One of the ******** I work with has decided he wants to do a Tough Muddier race next year so he wants to start riding a road bike. He keeps showing me adds for bikes that won't fit him. At first it was kind of funny but now its getting kind of sad. He has shown me adds for a 48cm WDS bike and a 59CM bike. Asking me if he should buy them. At this point I want to tell him to buy a 20in and but aero bars on it. I spent most of my 20s working in bike shops and I am still amazed at how people think they don't need bike fits because they just want to get in shape.
No. I have co-workers whom I help out also...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Am I the only one with coworkers that are totally clueless about bikes
As others have said, probably not.

But I'm almost sure that there's something out there about which you are completely clueless. If you now imagine yourself getting interested in that which you know nothing about, you will get my point.

·
Registered
23,043 Posts
I don't see what the big surprise is. You've worked years in a LBS and are more versed than the average Larry the Cable guy.

I suppose if you asked your coworker about cheap beer, pick up trucks, guns, and stalking deer in the woods, they'd be equally surprised and your naivety.

Please keep up your assistance. Lately I've had a few ******** in pick up trucks stop (where they didn't have to) and let our group of cyclists cross roads. You must be doing something right. You're on your way to making the rural roads safer for us all. :thumbsup:

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I like being in your position.

If there were a lot of people coming to me I'd write a "primer" that explains the different types of bikes, how important fit is and things like that.
When someone comes to you with basic questions you just print and hand them the sheet.

Edit: I wish we had some sticky threads here that covered the basics so we wouldn't see the same beginners' questions over and over again.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
If there were a lot of people coming to me I'd write a "primer" that explains the different types of bikes, how important fit is and things like that.
When someone comes to you with basic questions you just print and hand them the sheet.
I'm well-known in my office for being a highly-experienced scuba diver. I've had many people that were interested in getting into the sport come by to pick my brain on instructors, gear choices, places to go once they get certified...so, I did as you suggested and wrote a lengthy (8 pages) FAQ covering the basic noob stuff...

while it seems to be somewhat helpful, the folks still want to discuss the information presented and invariably question why I recommend one type of equipment over the junk their LDS guy says is 'best'...

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see what the big surprise is. You've worked years in a LBS and are more versed than the average Larry the Cable guy.

I suppose if you asked your coworker about cheap beer, pick up trucks, guns, and stalking deer in the woods, they'd be equally surprised and your naivety.

Please keep up your assistance. Lately I've had a few ******** in pick up trucks stop (where they didn't have to) and let our group of cyclists cross roads. You must be doing something right. You're on your way to making the rural roads safer for us all. :thumbsup:
I guess its not so much surprise. I just have always been disappointed at how people understand so little and think they don't need to really know any thing when buying a bike. Its just a bike they tell me all the time. I usually recommend going to a shop and they all tell me I don't need to do that I'm not going to get that in to it. I usually try and help at the start but it always goes the same way. They just want to get the cheapest thing they can find and will only ride it around the block once and but it away and never look at it after that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Be patient and try not to cringe when they put flat pedals on it. Sometimes the cycling bug is contagious. And even if it doesn't stick you make a better account of yourself by being supportive than you would by being a snob.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had this happen a previous job.
I actually wrote up a short brochure or walk through on what to look for in a used bike. It included a list of 5 things to look for and 5 things to avoid in a used bike and a separate bit about children's bikes

Here are my list of things to avoid in a used bike (remember this was designed for novice riders):
5 things to Not do
1. Unless you know the history of the bike (Know the rider well and know the bike has not been crashed) avoid used carbon fiber frames and forks especially if the bike is over 5 model years old
2. Do not buy a used bike from an individual.(See #1 above)
3a. Do not buy a bike without knowing that it will fit
3b. Do not buy a bike that a child will "grow into"
4. Do not be too concerned with frame materials especially for an entry level machine. An entry level bike may be carbon fiber but good bikes can also be made from aluminum or steel.
5. Do not believe either the best or worst review of a model of bike

5 things to do:
1. Do buy a used bike from a bike shop
2. Do ask about any warranty for parts and materials
3. Do look for aluminum in components like derailleurs, rims and brakes because they are generally higher quality and avoid stamped steel components like brake calipers
4. Do remember that the most important components for a new rider is the saddle, then the wheels then the other stuff
5. Do take your time to become conversant with the terms and definition of words used in bicycling. Doing this will allow you to be better able to make decisions about the type of bike you need.

I imagine there are a number of people on this forum that will disagree with the first couple of "do not" statements

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I had this happen a previous job.
I actually wrote up a short brochure or walk through on what to look for in a used bike. It included a list of 5 things to look for and 5 things to avoid in a used bike and a separate bit about children's bikes

Here are my list of things to avoid in a used bike (remember this was designed for novice riders):
5 things to Not do
1. Unless you know the history of the bike (Know the rider well and know the bike has not been crashed) avoid used carbon fiber frames and forks especially if the bike is over 5 model years old
2. Do not buy a used bike from an individual.(See #1 above)
3a. Do not buy a bike without knowing that it will fit
3b. Do not buy a bike that a child will "grow into"
4. Do not be too concerned with frame materials especially for an entry level machine. An entry level bike may be carbon fiber but good bikes can also be made from aluminum or steel.
5. Do not believe either the best or worst review of a model of bike

5 things to do:
1. Do buy a used bike from a bike shop
2. Do ask about any warranty for parts and materials
3. Do look for aluminum in components like derailleurs, rims and brakes because they are generally higher quality and avoid stamped steel components like brake calipers
4. Do remember that the most important components for a new rider is the saddle, then the wheels then the other stuff
5. Do take your time to become conversant with the terms and definition of words used in bicycling. Doing this will allow you to be better able to make decisions about the type of bike you need.

I imagine there are a number of people on this forum that will disagree with the first couple of "do not" statements
Great Advice! :thumbsup:

·
Cat 6
346 Posts
I've been asked this a several times over the years and even managed to drag a few of them schmucks into the sport. First thing I always tell them is go to a bike shop and find their size. Then we go from there looking at used bikes comparing them to the new bikes, etc. But bike size is always the starting point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.