Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You walk into the club lounge at a not-home-base airport and without any documentation are greeted with:

"Hello, Mr. ______________. Oh, you don't need to show your card. Headed for ______________? Looks like it will be about 45 minutes late today."

Then you drag over to the bar, and before you get there, the barkeep is already filling a glass with exactly what you were going to order.

And you aren't a member of this airline's club, and not flying on this airline. Just a guy in on a card pass.

OK, service and recognition are nice and all, but all considered this is somewhere between surreal and sad. I'm considering putting the barkeep on my Christmas card list. I haven't counted, but It's possible I see him more often than my wife.

Meanwhile, annual bike mileage: approx. 350. I wasn't made to be a road warrior.

Shouldn't *****, what with having a good job when so many do not. But I will anyway.

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
I'm currently unemployed am worrying about finding a job to get me the rest of the way through school... but I've been doing a lot of cycling and it's helped ease the stress. All I can say is take time off, if you can, and just ride. It's amazing how therapeutic it is. Best wishes, and ***** all you want. That's what this place is for, no?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Memphis has a nice lounge - it was very relaxing to be the only one there with the bartender talking about the Kang.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
John is working yet another Saturday this weekend. Usually this entails him sitting around waiting for people to get started. At least it doesn't involve flying anywhere this time around.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
My boss renewed his 1k status about 2 months ago. He's not happy about it. His wife and kids even less so. I hit Prem Exec last year, which was enough traveling for me. I have a friend that was on a 1st name basis with the entire flight crew of a few flights for a couple of years. That's not good! You need to think about virtual meetings.

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brick Tamland said:
I think they recently made a movie about your life.
We're not to that stage of the project...Yet. Hopefully someone else will be assigned that particular duty. BTDT, no desire to hand out folders ever again.

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spanky_88007 said:
I'm currently unemployed am worrying about finding a job to get me the rest of the way through school... but I've been doing a lot of cycling and it's helped ease the stress. All I can say is take time off, if you can, and just ride. It's amazing how therapeutic it is. Best wishes, and ***** all you want. That's what this place is for, no?
Amen, brother. I managed to get on a bike and just bury myself a couple of weekends back. Did tremendous things for my attitude. If I had any sense I'd force myself onto the recumbent POS in the hotel 'gym'. But I just haven't been able to make myself do it. I keep taking shorts and shoes, but running and me tend not to get along well.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
I think they recently made a movie about your life.

Was it a movie, or a Twilight Zone episode?

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Business travel sux.

Sounds great when you are stuck in a cube or an office, but the reality is that it blows. Doesn't matter if you are staying in nice hotels and traveling first class or in a rented Taurus and staying at the Red Roof Inn. It's all pretty lousy.

I hope this is a relatively short term gig and you return to normalcy.

BTW, I have been too busy with light travel work and life with an 8 year-old to find much time to NNC. Got on the bike for the first time in a little while last night. Slow going, but satisfying none the less.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Sure it sucks, why else would anyone be willing to pay you to do it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
that was my life a few years ago. now I get to decide where and when to go (well, unless the client has 'needs')... I like this side much better. business travel is just too glamorous these days

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I did this internationally a number of years ago. I was managing office in Philippines and Malaysia. I was spending over 2 weeks out of each month on the road. I am to old for that crap now! I have chosen a job tat lets me stay in a little cubicle, do my 8 hours and then go home. I like being a lemming now!

·
10,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MB1 said:
Sure it sucks, why else would anyone be willing to pay you to do it?
Because of my unique skill set, boyish good looks and natural charm.

That, or because the Domino's delivery driver was clever enough to turn them down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts