Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clyde is looking for his first bike for a triathlon in July. He is 6ft 2in and weighs 235. LBS says that an entry level bike like a Trek 1000 will probably not hold up. Specifically the wheels. Thought about a road style fitness bike, which brought the same concern.

LBS suggested a Trek 4500 w/ slicks.

What do you guys think?:confused:

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
If you're worried about the wheels, buy whatever bike you want, then ask the LBS to build you some stronger wheels.

Whatever hubs you feel comfortable spending money on + 14g spokes laced 3x to a Velocity Deep V rim. Put 28's or 25's on it. It should work. 32H should be sufficient. Maybe 36 if you want to play it safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
If you're worried about the wheels, buy whatever bike you want, then ask the LBS to build you some stronger wheels.

Whatever hubs you feel comfortable spending money on + 14g spokes laced 3x to a Velocity Deep V rim. Put 28's or 25's on it. It should work. 32H should be sufficient. Maybe 36 if you want to play it safe.
I guess that I should mention that there is a small budget for this bike. Clyde doesn't know if he's really going to like biking, or if he'll ever do another Tri. Trying to keep this thing under $500. I'm not sure that custom wheels are an option.

Also looking for used bikes, but there are not a lot of decent bikes available in this area. This area is not know for their fittness, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My sister rides this same bike, and really likes her's too. Fortunately, she's not an Athena. I'll have to get my Giant catalog back from Clyde, and check the wheelset out that comes on this bike. Thanks for the input.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
look for used

and just find a bike with a 32 hole 3x laced wheelset.I'm just shy of 6'5"and 23o plus and I use wheels like this for road and cx. They do just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.