Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm 200 lb 5'11 i've been riding a 05 trek 5200 i've been looking at a few different frames. i.e. ( Scott Cr1 limited/ sl , Orbea orca 06, Orbea opal 06, Cannondale system 6) i'm open to any comments. I've only been riding for a little over a year now just wanted to reward myself. I want something light but stiff since i do a good bit of climbing. I've been reading reviews for the orca on here how much flex it has. i'm not a racer so i guess weight isnt as important as stiffness. I'd love to hear from any one riding these frames for your input. Just want to make sure i'm making the right choice. thanks guys!!

· Registered
1,558 Posts
You're not heavy enough to have to really worry about a stiffer frame, especially if you are sticking to carbon. An ultra light aluminum frame from around 2000, yeah, that you might worry about. As a non racer, a very stiff frame is probably what you should not be looking for... rather look for a frame that fits you very well.
Start by using a couple of fit calculators, like WenchScience.com and CompetitiveCyclist.com and compare those results. Then go to shops that seem to really understand about how a bike should fit. Compare the geometry of the bikes that they are recommending to what the fit calculators gave you. Most important are the HeadTube length and the Toptube length, coupled with the seat tube angle. You can do a search on this forum using "seattube angle" for the many threads discussing fit.
Be patient, don't buy on name or paint job just yet. The fit is first and foremost, then from what is in your pool of options, you can decide the other non-essentials like brand or color.

· Internets User
69 Posts
At 200 I wouldn't be concerned about it. I have a 1998 Trek 5200 OCLV that performs well for me. I'm in the 205 range. I'll be getting something new next season but it's not due to any stiffness issues with my current ride. I'm looking at the Scott CR-1 and the Trek Madone.

· Registered
441 Posts
Ditto.

I'.6'3" and 215. Worry about about fit The one thing you can be concerned about is the wheelset. I still prefer a 32-hole 3x wheelset built with double butted spokes, with brass nipples (some say just on rear driveside, but I use them throughout),

· Registered
433 Posts
djg21 said:
Ditto.

I'.6'3" and 215. Worry about about fit The one thing you can be concerned about is the wheelset. I still prefer a 32-hole 3x wheelset built with double butted spokes, with brass nipples (some say just on rear driveside, but I use them throughout),

I'm 6'4", 235# and agree completely. Accurate fit and strong wheels are what you should look for.

· Registered
55 Posts
I'll third that!

Im 200lbs or 100kgs. I uprgraded to a Giant TCR Alloy/carbon blend bike, BB is alloy and the top half is carbon. Its been a great bike. Stiff uphills. ultra solid downhill and well I just love it. It just made sense having a bike that could take my weight plus offer some comfort. As far as flex...I havent noticed it.

Ive just seen that BMC have now produced a carbon/alloy bike frame too.

I also agree about a strong wheelset. I was fortunate that I was asked to try a set of Token Carbon/Alloy wheels for everday use and they havent skipped a beat. everyone I spoke with and read reviews that bagged them out, because they were ZIPPS. I'm averaging 150+ kms a week and they have been great. I loved them so much I bought them. Great bling for the bike.

I too got worried about light frames etc. Lets face it. We're not 65kg climbing professionals so we will stress frames and wheels so buy strong ones!

Every wheel builder i spoke with told me the same story..more spokes, more strength.

My original Shimano 550's felt light...but WOW what a new set of good wheels does.

I couldnt believe the difference in rolling and climbing. Super stiff uphills, not that deep profiles help going uphill...but where theres a hill....theres a great downhill to come.

Plus i figured , I spend 80% of my cycling on the flats...:thumbsup:

Don't get so worried about comparing yourself to pure racers...its a different world where every gram counts. For everyone else, get the right bike that fits and serves you well.

Just enjoy yourself! :)

· Registered
6 Posts
But if you're still interested in a frame...
check out the Specialized SL2, light and stiff (but comfortable ride)

still need to try out the new Trek Madone, but people really like them over the old OCLV models

· ironmandreamer
29 Posts
Consider a frame with a long warranty and buy it from a LBS with a good reputation and you can't go wrong! My mate who works in my LBS is 6'4" and at least 255lbs (that's his fit weight that competed Ironman at) rides a Trek because thier warrenty stands up. They replaced his 4 year old Madone that had thousands of K's on it after inspection as if it were brand new.

I ride a Merckx but I'm not 200lbs!

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
6'4"ish and 23ish

and I ride a Merckx MXL
in another 5 years I'll still be riding it
in another 10......

when you weigh over 200 lbs worrying about a pound or 2 of bike weight is silly

for those of you Clydes who have never, nor will ever experience the joys of Max tubing, you have no idea what you are missing

· Registered
1,931 Posts
ATP You continue to be

atpjunkie said:
and I ride a Merckx MXL
in another 5 years I'll still be riding it
in another 10......

when you weigh over 200 lbs worrying about a pound or 2 of bike weight is silly

for those of you Clydes who have never, nor will ever experience the joys of Max tubing, you have no idea what you are missing
the voice of reason, LOL!!

Spol, you have received some great advice here. I think to review, your weight is not a real issue so A) get what pleases you by doing a good test ride, and B) good wheels

b21

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
no arguement here

bigbill said:
Or Columbus Spirit with stiffening plates brazed in to the downtube. :D
with chainstays the size of some bikes top tubes

nothing more painful to the ego than having your legs ripped off by a 200 plus pounder on a steel bike

ride up grades, don't buy upgrades

reduce your carbon footprint!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.