Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am currently running 36h Salsa Delgados on my road bike because I wanted some tough wheels. Well, the rear rim has developed tiny cracks on the drive side spoke eyelets. I'm not sure if it's just the black finish(I hope), or the rim itself, but I'm being preemptive in starting to look for other rims. I know improper spoke tension can cause cracks, and of course, so can defective equipment. The rims have 5 year warranties on them, but I'm not sure I'm going to be too confident on a replacement. Nor am I going to be real happy to only get 1600 miles on them before they, too, crack.

Now, for my question. In you all's experience, what rims can stand up to a 230ish pound rider?

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. Those Deep Vs in red would look very nice on my black CAAD 9.

One more silly question. What are the disadvantages/advantages between a rim with no eyelets vs. ones with eyelets, or for that matter, double eyelets?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Spanky_88007 said:
What are the disadvantages/advantages between a rim with no eyelets vs. ones with eyelets, or for that matter, double eyelets?
Any of these can be good or bad... it's a factor of the alloy used, the shape, QC, etc. I mostly use non-eyeletted rims.

Thanks for the info on the Delgado. It's amazing how many rims develop cracks in a short time these days.

The Kinlin XR270 and 300 are good choices on the light side... maybe the C-4 V22, though it hasn't been out long enough to prove itself. The DT 585 and Deep Vs are safe bets.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I weigh 260 and have a Velocity Aerohead front and Fusion rear with no problems. I really doubt that you would have any problems running Aerohead O/C's on both, you could definitely run Fusions. Not that there is anything wrong with Deep V's, just offering other options.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
I weigh 260 and have a Velocity Aerohead front and Fusion rear with no problems. I really doubt that you would have any problems running Aerohead O/C's on both, you could definitely run Fusions. Not that there is anything wrong with Deep V's, just offering other options.
Aerohead OCs on both? Maybe if the front hub is a disk hub.

How many spokes are you using on your Aerohead/Fusion wheels?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
valleycyclist said:
Aerohead OCs on both? Maybe if the front hub is a disk hub.

How many spokes are you using on your Aerohead/Fusion wheels?
32 spokes with DA hubs.

I should have been clearer, an Aerohead O/C set is an O/C rear and a standard front.

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I think Velocities are gonna be the way to go, all of them look nice to me, they cost substantially less than DT Swiss, and most importantly, they seem to have more to offer in 36h than does DT Swiss. Did I mention that red would look awesome with my frame? :D

I've got the hoops laced to Ultegras, so I really don't see the need for a whole new wheel, but oh how I'd love to have an all new wheelset and relegate the current one to back up status.

I appreciate the feedback, guys.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would say Easton EA50 wheels, even though they are low spoke count, but after a year of medium use I popped a spoke (sheared at the nipple) so I'm waiting to see how they hold up after the replacement spoke. I'm also around 230 and bought the Eastons after I blew apart two cheap oem A-Class rear wheels on my first bike. The Ritchey Pro DS wheels that came on my cyclocross bike also look pretty solid and have held up on dirt but they are discontinued.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
velocity Deep V or Aerohead
Mavic Open Pro
HED Belgium

any of the above (and several more, I'm sure) will do quite nicely. There's no reason whatsoever that a 32h 3X lacing would not be sufficient for a 230lb-er

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JustTooBig said:
velocity Deep V or Aerohead
Mavic Open Pro
HED Belgium

any of the above (and several more, I'm sure) will do quite nicely. There's no reason whatsoever that a 32h 3X lacing would not be sufficient for a 230lb-er
Yeah, I've got 32h on my Trek 1000 and have never had any problems. Looking back, I probably should have just put 32h on the CAAD as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If the OP is already running a wider rim like the Delgado, would a Velocity rim like the A23 or Synergy be a closer match than a Deep-V? Both are available in 36h too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would caution against the Easton EA 50. Went through two separate sets in a few months. I am 205. SlowJoe-interested to see how they work after the spoke replacement. In both cases for mine, once the first spoke broke it was over.

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
+1 for Aeroheads

I'll chime in for the Aeroheads. I have 32H front and rear on my fixie. They are pretty bulletproof. I'll also endorse the idea of the OC version on the rear. It just makes sense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As a spinoff to the rim question, I assume 32h is the minimum for a 230lb rider. Is this a fair assumption? I'd like to have a wheelset built but want to make sure I go strong enough, even though I'll be a little lighter by the time they are ready.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts