Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of good stuff about the Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro as a good option for a big dude. I've also read good stuff about Dura Ace/Mavic OP. On the other hand, my LBS advised me to get some custom built with White Ind. hubs and Open Pro rims - said they'd be hassle-free, and last a LONG time.

I don't need to ride the best, but I do want my wheels to last a long time with little hassle.

Thoughts? The custom White hub wheel-set would be ~$600 built...vs. ~$300 Ultegras... vs. ~$450 Dura Ace.

BTW - I do weigh ~270#, and I'm currently riding Bontrager Selects and Xero XR-3 wheels that came stock on my bikes. I've already had trouble with the Bontragers after 200 miles. The Xeros are nearly identical (20/24), but only have 50 miles on them so far.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
As far as durability goes, either one will be fine. I've never used any of the White hubs, but they have a great reputation. The Ultegras will definitely be the best value, and Ultegra hubs have a good reputation as ell. The D/A will be a little lighter than the Ultegras, but won't be any more durable. Most of the duraability of any of these wheelsets will come from the O/P rims, so which hubs you choose won't affect that. I'm 275 lbs and ride O/P's with a D/A rear hub and Ultegra front and have approx 3K miles on this wheelset with zero problems. The D/A hub uses an oversize aluminum axle whereas the Ultegra rear uses a steel axle. I heard that the D/A axle may not be a good choice for big riders, but so far so good for me. Good luck with whichever you choose!

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Just for reference: I'm a big guy who is slowly but surely losing weight by being on my bike (fwiw I started out much heavier than you currently are).

Ultegra hubs are fantastic and I would highly recommend them. The White Ind. hubs sure are purty, but I'm afraid that's what I'd be paying for with them (they make an $80 freewheel for cryin out loud).

The Difference between Ultegra and DA, as far as hubs go, won't be much at all. Mainly a weight savings (which isn't awlays a plus with clydes).

On my road bike I run a 32h open pro in the front and a 32 h Deep V on the rear with Ultegra hubs. The rear came with an Open Pro that I totally demolished. But, in all fairness, the rim was old and used when I got it and it would hardly come in to true. I'd imagine a new one would last much longer and be good. Honestly the Deep V in the rear is overkill, even for me, but I wanted something that I wouldn't have to worry about, and a Deep V gives me that.

I'd say go Ultegra over DA and White ind. You'll save some money and they won't let you down.

Open Pros are fantastic rims. If you want something that might be a little tougher than the Open Pros but a little heavier (maybe for in the rear) I'd suggest checking out Velocity Dyad rims. They're lighter than Deep V's but still pretty darn tough.

Good luck with your purchase! The most important thing is that you're going to be happy with whatever you buy and it gets you on the bike. And be sure to let us know what you settle on... and don't forget pictures!

joe

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Just want to say you really can't go wrong with any of the wheelsets you mentioned. The Mavic OP with Dura Ace is what I am currently riding on and have not had a problem in about 3000 miles. I am 260+/- a banana split or 2. If you look on Performance you can usually get the Mavics at around 300 or so.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm glad to hear your real world experience. I'll always trust the true girth over the hype.

My wife is in charge of the decision, and thanks to you she has good information to go from. While the White hubs sound really sexy, I'll probably happily end up with the Ultegra/OP. I'll post pics when all is complete.

Cheers,

-Jerm

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
IME Mavic Open Pro rims are good rims. They cannot, however, hold a candle to Velocity Deep Vs. You could take wheels with Deep V rims to a tractor pull and they'd be fine. The Mavics are decent rims. I had one that lasted a year. My Deep Vs have been on my bikes for 3 years. I've NEVER had to even touch them with a spoke wrench.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got the Ultegra/Open Pro wheel set today. Took them for a first ride just a few minutes ago, and I can already tell that I'm going to be pretty happy. The Ultegra hubs are very fast compared to the Xero setup.

Thanks for the advice, and I added pictures as requested. Even though it's all pretty vanilla, I really do like my bike.

-JERM

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
jerm182 said:
Well, I got the Ultegra/Open Pro wheel set today. Took them for a first ride just a few minutes ago, and I can already tell that I'm going to be pretty happy. The Ultegra hubs are very fast compared to the Xero setup.

Thanks for the advice, and I added pictures as requested. Even though it's all pretty vanilla, I really do like my bike.

-JERM

Looks good man!

Next up: your first RBR ride report :) :thumbsup:

joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.