Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, have been scanning with great interest, but there seems to be a dearth of information specific to the most ironic of rider classes: the venerable clydesdale. If you're a big ol' hoss, how big are you and what do you ride? Anything clydesdale-specific that you have discovered that has led you to a higher level of fitness/competition? Me, I'm 6'5" and 215 (usually get down to 200-205 mid-summer), I ride a Cannondale CAAD 7 and Ksyrium SLs were the best thing that ever happened to me (finally a light wheel that stay true!). As soon as I learned to stop dreading the hills, the joys of cycling opened up to me without restraint. Although I'm physically fit, I'm thinking about trying to drop serious weight and see what it does for my cycling. How about you, big boy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,127 Posts
mhk said:
I'm new to the forum, have been scanning with great interest, but there seems to be a dearth of information specific to the most ironic of rider classes: the venerable clydesdale. If you're a big ol' hoss, how big are you and what do you ride? Anything clydesdale-specific that you have discovered that has led you to a higher level of fitness/competition? Me, I'm 6'5" and 215 (usually get down to 200-205 mid-summer), I ride a Cannondale CAAD 7 and Ksyrium SLs were the best thing that ever happened to me (finally a light wheel that stay true!). As soon as I learned to stop dreading the hills, the joys of cycling opened up to me without restraint. Although I'm physically fit, I'm thinking about trying to drop serious weight and see what it does for my cycling. How about you, big boy?
My skeletal remains will prolly weight more than many forum members sopping wet.

Nominally, 210 @ 6'2"... size 49 Sidis (you know what they say about shoe size) with a 37" inseam.

Multiple rigs and wheelsets including MTB, road, time trial specific (tri geometry) and recumbent. Spending the first part of this year getting reacquainted with...



and



... along with my recumbent. Illness and injury have plagued me for the past year... but I hope to make this a come back season!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I'm 6'7" and 260 lbs. Ride a Rivendell Full Custom 68cm with a Campy Record drivetrain, DT Swiss "Hugi" 240 hubs, Open Pros, Record Bar-ends, Cane Creek brakes.

I love this bike. STEEL IS REAL!!!

I also have a 66cm Cannondale CAAD3 with everything 6500 series Ultegra (9 speed triple) but I never ride it unless I am going to be going up some SERIOUS hills. Actually, I'd kind of like to sell it.

Also have a 22" Cannondale MTB, Beast of the East frame, non-suspension, loooooong stem. Don't MTB too much these days.

Lastly, I have a cheap early 80s 27" gas pipe Japanese frame. It weighs a ton but I don't worry about it getting stolen if I ride it to the bar. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet!--thanks for the link. I certainly feel united (most of the guys I ride with locally are super light and seem to spin effortlessly up these WV hills--no that's not jealousy you detect in my tone. . . is it?) and even a bit on the small side. One caveat: I said 6'5", but I'm really closer to 6'4.75" with a frustratingly average 34" inseam.

Other rigs:

05 Bianchi Cross Concept (all stock--but thinking about splurging on ES wheelset--for more road-centric riding--any thoughts?--just to flaunt the ridiculousness of the fantastic red top tube against celeste and dark blue! oh, and because it would look cool, even though it would set me back a G or so.

01 Jekyll 1000, stock (this bike has given me much much grief and now tends to get neglected)

94 Cannondale KillerV 2000 mtb that I've converted to a fixed gear roadie/rail trail, 44x16, onza ti pedals, alien ti seatpost, surly hubs w/mavic cxp hoops, just broke down and put a front brake on it (weighs in at even 16 lbs)

05 Ducati Monster 1000S, stock

On the CAAD7 I've recently added the excellent SLs, alien carbon post, look keo carbon chromo pedals, aspide arrowhead ti saddle--very happy w/all of them
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
I'm 6'3" 200#. My main ride is a 60 cm DeRosa Nuovo Classico tsx with all Campy. This year I added a full carbon fork. I also have a Panasonic Sport 1000 that I use as a commuter. It's a veritable Heins 57 of components.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,980 Posts
I'm 6'3" 200#. My main ride is a 60 cm DeRosa Nuovo Classico tsx with all Campy. This year I added a full carbon fork.

I also have a 63 cm Panasonic Sport 1000 that I use as a commuter. IMO, it's a little too big for me, but it's still workable. It's a veritable Heins 57 of components. Everything is in great shape though. I paid $40 for it used at my LBS. I bought new bar tape, pedals, and new cables & housings. I've got about $85 total invested. It's really nice for a commuter.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
So far I'm the heaviest person here (even after the weight I've lost!). I come in at 6'3'' and, am around 280, although that's a guess, honestly (I'm trying to be healthy, not lose weight, so I haven't been focusing on that side of it, which I think has helped me the most). When I first started riding though, I was about 315 or so.

As far as where my height is though, it's all torso. My pant length is a 30. And my shoes are a 50.

I'm not in great shape... or even good shape, but I'm much better than where I was at. I'll be extremely happy when I get down to 250. If I reach 225 I'll be extatic.

I ride a 58 Bianchi Volpe and a 62 nameless lugged steel fixie.




joe
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,267 Posts
While not strictly the heaviest, it looks like I have the worst BMI so far. 5'11, 250#. I have several bikes, but the one I ride the most is a 1997 Colnago Master Light with full 2005 Record.

I would like nothing more than to get back to my Army weight of 160#.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
6'4" a lean 212 lbs, 32" waist, 36" pants inseam. 2006 C-dale 613 DA w/ 180mm cranks (highly recommend for anyone tall...) Pre lifting in the gym and picking up rock/ice climbing when I was in the Cat 1 days I was a mere 183. Trying to balance climbing & cycling - never good enough at either now... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feeling cranky

I've been too cheap to upgrade my chainset, but I'm thinking I'll go longer when I do: care to give me your pitch on 180mm cranks? Is that what you ran in your Cat 1 days? Did you ever have a problem dragging a pedal or overlapping? Furthermore, I've looked around a bit, but have had some trouble finding them. Any suggestions?
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,137 Posts
6'2". 230lbs. 35.5" inseam (a la LeMond method). My rides:

60cm Team Wheaties Schwinn Paramount (late 80's early 90's)
60cm Schwinn OS Pretendamount (late 80's Japanese model. Red, white & blue)
61cm LeMond Zurich ('99)
XL Schwinn Fastback Comp ('01)
60cm Panasonic Fixie (unknown year)
19" Specialized Stumpjumper (I believe it's a '90 or '91. It's that old!!!).

I absolutely adore the ride of a good steel frame. Like someone on RBR says, "Steel is real 'cause it's harder to ryhme carbon fiber."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
MKH - back in the serious racing days, I used 177.5s and didn't have any problems w/ them dragging - for sure they would, but I was at the point where I knew exactly where to scrape and when not to pedal. W/ my new 613, I decided to go w/ 180s just because that's what I figured I should have been riding all along. No knee problems or anything like that - and I can still spin plenty fast when I want. I have yet to christen the new bike racing, but expect to do so (on a very flat crit course) sometime soonish. Honestly though, I can't say that I feel a big difference from the 177.5s - my new 613 was so different from my AL Bianchi that there were many 'new feeling' things to get used to for a ride or two.

Pricing.... it does suck for sure - I work very PT at a big national ourdoor retailer so I was able to order a set prodeal and sell my 175s for an even swap. I do see that Ultegra makes 180s which would be something to consider for less $$. Biting the bullet for what ever DA retails for is harsh for sure....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Ummmm--you're not alone. I'm currently the same height/weight, but my weight varies, depending on how much downtime I've had.

I don't seek out Clydesdale-specific bikes or parts, but I steer clear of stupid-light stuff. There's no way I could ever be talked into carbon bars or seatposts, for example...I just couldn't trust 'em.

Most of my stable is cyclocross bikes: Kona Jakes, VooDoo Wazoos, Bianchi Axises and Reparto Corse 'crossers. I do have road, touring and mountain bikes as well. I have garden-variety wheelsets (32h Mavic rims of some sort (MA3, OP, CXPnn) paired with various Shimano hubs (LX, 105, Ultegra) and they've mostly held up--I had a few that would go out of true on every ride until I really ramped up the spoke tension. I stopped riding the Shimano R535 wheels I had, not because I ever had any problems, but just because I didn't feel at ease with only 16 spokes. That's actually the only concession I ever made in the way of parts as a consequence of my, ummmm, magnificence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Ex-clydesdale here

mhk said:
If you're a big ol' hoss, how big are you and what do you ride?
I'm 6'3", and we have the same bike. 2003 CAAD7, 65 cm size. Frankly, I wanted the Cervelo Soloist because it looked sweet, but like most bike manufacturers the biggest size was 63, and the sales guy wouldn't let me do it. The bike is so big because I'm all legs - 35" inseam. Size 13 feet.

mhk said:
Anything clydesdale-specific that you have discovered that has led you to a higher level of fitness/competition?
If your weight is primarily muscle, well, not much you can do to help on the hills except get as fit as you can... But if you have a lot of body fat, get rid of it and it'll make a huge difference on the hills. I started this sport at 220 (mostly fat) and now I'm down to 175. It took me about 4 months to lose it all, and when I was done my hill climbing was a night and day improvement.

mhk said:
... and Ksyrium SLs were the best thing that ever happened to me (finally a light wheel that stay true!)...
I feel the same way about my new American Classic Sprint 350s - it's nice being light enough not to worry about weight limits.

The Carlster said:
2006 C-dale 613 DA w/ 180mm cranks (highly recommend for anyone tall...)
I agree 100% with the crank suggestion - I picked up a pair of DA 180s and I instantly could spin one gear higher on all my climbs. No knee problems at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
I'm currently running close to 270 and am just under 6' tall.

I've taken a 3 year break from riding, but am getting back into it again. Currently, I'm having a custom Curtlo built up which should be done in the next 2-3 weeks. It will be equiped with Ultegra compoents.

Several years ago I was big into mountain biking racing, clyde and sport class, doing very well considering my size. At my lowest weight I was 215 pounds, but was most comfortable around 225 when riding hard. The things that helped me the most for competition were hard intervals and time trialing. I didn't do super long rides (longest was in the 2.5 hour range) but concentrated on harder riding when I rode.

Nowdays I'm just looking to stay healthy and not race much, though a time trial every now and then if I get in good enough shape won't be out of the question. My current goal is to get back down to 235 - 240 by the end of the summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
The Carlster said:
MKH - back in the serious racing days, I used 177.5s and didn't have any problems w/ them dragging - for sure they would, but I was at the point where I knew exactly where to scrape and when not to pedal. W/ my new 613, I decided to go w/ 180s just because that's what I figured I should have been riding all along. No knee problems or anything like that - and I can still spin plenty fast when I want. I have yet to christen the new bike racing, but expect to do so (on a very flat crit course) sometime soonish. Honestly though, I can't say that I feel a big difference from the 177.5s - my new 613 was so different from my AL Bianchi that there were many 'new feeling' things to get used to for a ride or two.

Pricing.... it does suck for sure - I work very PT at a big national ourdoor retailer so I was able to order a set prodeal and sell my 175s for an even swap. I do see that Ultegra makes 180s which would be something to consider for less $$. Biting the bullet for what ever DA retails for is harsh for sure....
I have 180 Campy Record cranks on my Rivendell. Unfortunately, Campy doesn't even list a 180 crank as an option in their catalog anymore :(. I had wanted to go with a 50/34 compact but I guess I'm gonna have to stick to my 53/39. The crank arms from the current one are 135 bcd of course and won't fit a 110 bcd compact.

I think the DA10 cranks are ugly as hell and I don't care if they come in 180, I don't want them.

Well okay maybe I'll relent eventually.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Brons2 said:
I have 180 Campy Record cranks on my Rivendell. Unfortunately, Campy doesn't even list a 180 crank as an option in their catalog anymore :(. I had wanted to go with a 50/34 compact but I guess I'm gonna have to stick to my 53/39. The crank arms from the current one are 135 bcd of course and won't fit a 110 bcd compact.

I think the DA10 cranks are ugly as hell and I don't care if they come in 180, I don't want them.

Well okay maybe I'll relent eventually.
Sugino makes nice looking alloy compact cranks in 180mm lengths. Very classic looking.
Zinn also makes some. Both would look right at home with the other components in your Campy gouppo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Sugino does not make any 180 cranks in their current product line, period.
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/suginoltd/products_e.html

As for Zinn, the price is a big BIG BIG turnoff.

Price is $367 for the arms and the bottom bracket (square taper, length specific for our crank), and shipping is $10 within the continental USA (we also ship internationally). To order simply send a check for $377 to the following address and we'll get started right away:
I may as well just pick up a 13-29 10 speed and a medium cage Chorus to replace the 13-26 9 speed/Record I have now. Considering my bike has 10 speed bar ends already, it'd be cheaper anyways.

$377 shipped for crank arms only!!! Unbelieveable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
I think I have you beat...

Einstruzende said:
While not strictly the heaviest, it looks like I have the worst BMI so far. 5'11, 250#. I would like nothing more than to get back to my Army weight of 160#.
I think my paper BMI might be worse...5'6", 210#. I'm in the obsese/high risk category according to the BMI charts, which is total crap. When I get weighed in yearly for the Army, I routinely tape in the teens. My Army basic training weight was 190, still would like to get back there.

My rides are a 50cm 2002 CAAD5 w/DA9, Open Pro 32h wheels, and my brand new 53cm Milwaukee. Very sweet.

Is it possible to be a 66" clydesdale?

Brooks K.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top