Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Clydesdales Unite!

7K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  walleyeangler 
I'm 6'7" and 260 lbs. Ride a Rivendell Full Custom 68cm with a Campy Record drivetrain, DT Swiss "Hugi" 240 hubs, Open Pros, Record Bar-ends, Cane Creek brakes.

I love this bike. STEEL IS REAL!!!

I also have a 66cm Cannondale CAAD3 with everything 6500 series Ultegra (9 speed triple) but I never ride it unless I am going to be going up some SERIOUS hills. Actually, I'd kind of like to sell it.

Also have a 22" Cannondale MTB, Beast of the East frame, non-suspension, loooooong stem. Don't MTB too much these days.

Lastly, I have a cheap early 80s 27" gas pipe Japanese frame. It weighs a ton but I don't worry about it getting stolen if I ride it to the bar. :D

The Carlster said:
MKH - back in the serious racing days, I used 177.5s and didn't have any problems w/ them dragging - for sure they would, but I was at the point where I knew exactly where to scrape and when not to pedal. W/ my new 613, I decided to go w/ 180s just because that's what I figured I should have been riding all along. No knee problems or anything like that - and I can still spin plenty fast when I want. I have yet to christen the new bike racing, but expect to do so (on a very flat crit course) sometime soonish. Honestly though, I can't say that I feel a big difference from the 177.5s - my new 613 was so different from my AL Bianchi that there were many 'new feeling' things to get used to for a ride or two.

Pricing.... it does suck for sure - I work very PT at a big national ourdoor retailer so I was able to order a set prodeal and sell my 175s for an even swap. I do see that Ultegra makes 180s which would be something to consider for less $$. Biting the bullet for what ever DA retails for is harsh for sure....
I have 180 Campy Record cranks on my Rivendell. Unfortunately, Campy doesn't even list a 180 crank as an option in their catalog anymore :(. I had wanted to go with a 50/34 compact but I guess I'm gonna have to stick to my 53/39. The crank arms from the current one are 135 bcd of course and won't fit a 110 bcd compact.

I think the DA10 cranks are ugly as hell and I don't care if they come in 180, I don't want them.

Well okay maybe I'll relent eventually.

Sugino does not make any 180 cranks in their current product line, period.
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/suginoltd/products_e.html

As for Zinn, the price is a big BIG BIG turnoff.

Price is $367 for the arms and the bottom bracket (square taper, length specific for our crank), and shipping is $10 within the continental USA (we also ship internationally). To order simply send a check for $377 to the following address and we'll get started right away:
I may as well just pick up a 13-29 10 speed and a medium cage Chorus to replace the 13-26 9 speed/Record I have now. Considering my bike has 10 speed bar ends already, it'd be cheaper anyways.

$377 shipped for crank arms only!!! Unbelieveable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.