Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so as any reasonable cyclist I've invested into a co2 kit, mine is this one: Spin Doctor QuickShot 16g CO2 Inflation System

I have not had to use it yet, but we did christen it yesterday when one of the guys on the ride wasted his only to immediately hear a puncture in his tube, so I gave up my tank to him to keep things moving. Now that it's time to re-up on cartridges, I am a bit amazed by the prices. Bike shops seem to have 16g refills from anywhere between $4-$6 each.

Last time I bought co2 was 10 years ago for bb guns, and sure enough, I can get a 5 pack of Crossman 12g cartridges for $6 (all of them, not each). However, 16g seems to be almost exclusively sold in bike shops

I've heard of a trick with the dispenser I have to throw in a nickel or some kind of coin into the bottom so that it actually engages and penetrates a 12g cartridge. But then there's the question of volume, and a 12g having 25% less content than a 16g. So before I decide where to buy a few of these to have as spares, maybe you guys can answer some questions.

1. Is there a difference in the quality of co2? I see many companies make the refills, various prices for them, but I can get 30 refills from MESA with good reviews on amazon for $32 (just don't really need 30)

2. I haven't tested how much a 16g can get a 25c tire to because I don't have extra refills, but maybe someone can fill in, and also let me know if they've tried 12g and what kind of pressure they get the tires to. Right now I run 90/100psi f/r but that may change over time.

3. If I do get a bulk box of say 30, will they be OK stored in a cool place indefinitely, or is it that after some time sitting they are no good anymore (similar to batteries or butane lighter fluid)

I look forward to learning some new things here. Just want to decide if I should grab a 5 pack of the Crossman ones or just spend $30 for the ones on Amazon. I will likely only be using them on my road bike since my MTB is tubeless (and works quite well, I have 10 or so spots on my tires from sealant closing up thorn holes) and if I get a puncture big enough to get a flat, it probably needs some work that I don't really want to do on the trail anyway, so getting a big box seems excessive. However, I would still get 30 for $32 rather than pay $5 each and 6 refills later be out the same amount of money. I do still wonder if the 12g would be enough to get a tire to my pressure ranges, because it is a bit cheaper, and I can spend $6 for a pack.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
get the cheapest ones you can find that work with your inflator.

ebay has decent deals on bulk purchases...

and they don't go 'bad'...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,952 Posts
If you're going to use CO2, buy carts in bulk. Single-shot is a silly waste of money. A 12g will get a 23mm tire to 85PSI ish, depending on your rim width. A 16g should get a 28mm tire to about the same pressure IIRC. Again those are based on true-to width sizing, not the label and on older-narrower rims.

Just be sure to pump up with a floor pump once you're home, CO2 permeates through Butyl rubber much quicker.

CO2 gas is stored in a sealed metal cylinder. So long as your environment is getting to lethal-to-human-life temps, you don't have to worry about it.

PS-if you're using tubeless tires...be warned, you'll need new sealant

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
so as any reasonable cyclist I've invested into a co2 kit
there's the problem right there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
there's the problem right there :rolleyes:
problem...? how's that...?

been using CO2 for 8 years...carry 3 cartridges and 2 tubes...have never been stranded, had to deal with some crappy mini-pump, or wished I had a frame pump.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey guys, so as any reasonable cyclist I've invested into a co2 kit, mine is this one: Spin Doctor QuickShot 16g CO2 Inflation System

I have not had to use it yet, but we did christen it yesterday when one of the guys on the ride wasted his only to immediately hear a puncture in his tube, so I gave up my tank to him to keep things moving. Now that it's time to re-up on cartridges, I am a bit amazed by the prices. Bike shops seem to have 16g refills from anywhere between $4-$6 each.

A good reason to carry at least two tanks. I just recently broke down as well and bought a co2 kit. My frame pump works, but this much nicer.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I get 30-pack 16g threaded cartridges on eBay. The last box I bought (a couple years ago) was $30 shipped.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

been using CO2 for 8 years...carry 3 cartridges and 2 tubes...have never been stranded, had to deal with some crappy mini-pump, or wished I had a frame pump.
Ditto, 3 carts and 2 tubes, plus a mini pump.

The pump gets the first bit of air to get the tube in the rim, then some more pumping, then a single 12g CO2 finishes and I'm back on the road and no need to worry about another flat, I'm covered. I buy 12g in bulk from Sports Authority, or did. Haven't had a flat in 3 years since I ride Grand Prix 4 Seasons.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
If you use a cart every 10 years then do you really care if it's $3 or $6? I only carry 1 CO2 and 1 tube. But I carry a mini pump as well and a patch kit.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I buy 30 packs on Amazon and carry 2 or 3 with me depending on the length of the ride. Those plus 2 tubes and a patch kit and I should be covered for most anything. So much easier and faster than a pump.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
IMO threaded cartridges work far better than unthreaded. Get them cheap from eBay or Amazon. The dispensers for threaded are also much smaller and easier to carry. I've had both and won't go back to unthreaded. For me 16g is plenty to get a 25 width tire inflated. I use a Genuine Innovations Air Chuck. Had it for many years and find it reliable.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

Maybe I've had bad luck but I have had three occasions where the inflator broke. These where the type that use non-threaded cartridges a plastic housing. In one case the plastic housing snapped off at the threads and the thing went flying like a bullet. I was with other riders so not stranded. In another case the trigger snapped off and I was unable to get air in. Called my wife but a good Samaritan rider came along and let me use his. In the last case the piercing pin broke off. I have switched over to the threaded type cartridges. Yes, its more expensive but the minimalist inflators have less parts to break

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Maybe I've had bad luck but I have had three occasions where the inflator broke. These where the type that use non-threaded cartridges a plastic housing. In one case the plastic housing snapped off at the threads and the thing went flying like a bullet. I was with other riders so not stranded. In another case the trigger snapped off and I was unable to get air in. Called my wife but a good Samaritan rider came along and let me use his. In the last case the piercing pin broke off. I have switched over to the threaded type cartridges. Yes, its more expensive but the minimalist inflators have less parts to break
well, any tool can fail.

a guy I was riding with several years ago had a Zefal HPX frame pump break during a flat repair...got him going again using my CO2 rig.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I carry both a pump and co2

Around here they use black cinders in the winter. They can be very hard to locate. It helps if you first find the leak in the tube which narrows down where to look. This is where the pump comes in handy. Then the co2 does the real work

I have a drawer full of cart. I don't pay any attention to what I take with me in terms of size. I am not very concerned with pressure. For me it's a temporary measure to get home, or to a floor pump. If I was concerned that a 12 oz did not provide enough pressure, the pump can be used to put a few lbs in at the beginning, before it gets difficult

·
Registered
397 Posts

I did that for awhile, but then realized there are some really good mini pumps out there that take up less space, less weight and less potential rattle than carrying a fist full of cartridges. Not to mention unlimited uses.

That said, in addition to 2 tubes and a mini-pump in my saddle bag, in a jersey pocket I will sometimes carry a 3rd tube and 1 Co2 on rain rides, late night rides or cold winter rides when I especially value the speed and convenience of Co2, and the additional self sufficiency and confidence of having a 3rd tube.

I'll also sometimes carry 1 Co2 mountain biking, in addition to a pump, unless I'm really counting grams for an epic elevation day. Large tires on wide rims take a while to inflate with a hand pump. A quick shot of Co2 is a nice way to get them started and Co2 is awesome to pull out on a group ride when anybody has a flat.

But I'll never go back to carrying a bunch of cartridges as my sole solution for air.

The dispenser I use accepts 12g cartridges that I pay like $7 for a box of 15. A 12g cartridge fills my 25c tires just fine on a 15 ID rim.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
The 12 gram unthreaded cartridges are the way to go IMO. You can get them 3 for a dollar in bulk, and they don't spoil. They get a 23 c tire up to 80 psi or so. Plenty of pressure to get home on. Hell, I probably give more away than I use by inflating the tires of stranded idiots on the bike path commuting home.

Yeah, a mini pump has unlimited uses, but standing by the side of the road in 95 degree heat pumping it 200 times can really suck. The best tool I ever had was a Zefal frame pump, but bikes don't come with pump pegs anymore.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Yeah, a mini pump has unlimited uses, but standing by the side of the road in 95 degree heat pumping it 200 times can really suck.
yup. that's a deal-killer for me...hell, I don't even want to do that routine when it's 65F...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
CO2 does not go bad.

"Quality" of the gas is immaterial. As long as there is enough, it doesn't matter.

I carry 16g threaded cartridges. With this air chuck.

I also have a device similar to OP, but that type limits you to a particular size cartridge (not to blow OP's mind, but there are 20 g cartridges too).

As discovered, don't buy CO2 from the LBS.

·
Registered
20,736 Posts
CO2 does not go bad.

"Quality" of the gas is immaterial. As long as there is enough, it doesn't matter.
Quality can be an issue.

How to Pick Good Quality CO2 for Your Airgun
One leading brand had extraordinary amounts of oil and grit lining the walls of the capsule.

Also need to be cautious of lubricated co2 cartridges made for air guns.
ASG Ultrair 12-Gram CO2 Lubrication Cartridges
Silicone oil shouldn't harm latex or butl, but you don't really want to be spraying oil around your rims/brakes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts