Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a flat last night and used my minimalist C02 inflator. I guess my pinky was touching the cartridge. About 30 seconds afterwards I felt pain there as if I had been burned. Woke up to a huge blister. Blurry photo below

Finger Blue Skin Pattern Textile

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dermatologist charges $250 for that.

Now you will always remember the Joule-Thompson effect.
Funny that you mention that. I had to take my daughter to the dermatologist this morning to get some stitches out (she had a scary birthmark removed). I asked her about the blister. She gave me two options to do on my own. It was a freebie.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't do that next time.
I feel like a did a public service for the RBR community. For those of you wondering "what's the worst that can happen if I touch the cartridge?" well now you know. You are welcome

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,442 Posts
Yeeesh! They do get cold indeed, even to the point of frost sometimes. But I have never had this happen or even heard of it ever happening. It's only 16g! You must have very tender skin.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Have to ask, did you blow the entire cartridge in one shot or did you do short blasts?

If you do short blasts, the cartridge will get cold but not immediately below freezing like a sustained discharge will.

Good luck with your frost burn, hope it heals quickly and cleanly.

EEC

·
Registered
752 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Must've dumped the entire volume real fast.
I use a screw on inflator that regulates the speed. Slowly crack it open and it never gets that cold.
tlg,

I am, obviously, thinking along the same process. More of operator error than flawed product warning.

Dave, sorry for your injury, feel better.

EEC

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I use a section of an old inner tube as a sleeve cover for my CO2 cartridges so this doesn't happen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a section of an old inner tube as a sleeve cover for my CO2 cartridges so this doesn't happen.
That's a great idea! I bought a rubber sleeve at a bike shop that goes over the co2 cartridge. I could have saved a buck or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,442 Posts
Have to ask, did you blow the entire cartridge in one shot........

I sure hope not. That's a great way to over inflate and blow the tire. A 16g CO2 is capable of over 150 PSI in a 23c tire. :eek:

Short bursts are recommended.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have to ask, did you blow the entire cartridge in one shot or did you do short blasts?

If you do short blasts, the cartridge will get cold but not immediately below freezing like a sustained discharge will.

Good luck with your frost burn, hope it heals quickly and cleanly.

EEC
ExChef and tlg, you are correct. I just got this inflator recently (a GI Air Chuck) and had never used it on the road. I was having problems getting it to trigger and once I did I dumped the whole thing at once. Before that I had one of the encased kind with an actual trigger.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
My Red Zeppelin came with an insulated sleeve.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Red Zeppelin came with an insulated sleeve.
I may pick up one of those sleeves. Seems like it would reduce noise in the saddlebag too. The thing is I did not even feel any pain until after the job was done.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts