Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of cycling nutrition articles that talk about having coffe or tea with breakfast. What kind of benefit is this. I personally don't like either (no, I'm not Mormon) unless there is at least a cup of sugar in it so I guess that would negate whatever benefit they provided. What is it, the caffeine, what?

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
This is a good opportunity to build character--learn how to drink coffee black.

On the other hand, try Early Grey tea with honey and milk--it may well be the perfect beverage.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
They help jump start your metabolism in the morning.
<o></o>
Research suggests that green tea a few times a day helps you body lose fat and the antioxidants help in other ways. I have Mega-Tea supplements I take for the added stuff..
<o></o>
I drink enough coffee for 10 people.. so as far as caffeine goes I’m all set. Hahah.

· The Dropped 1
670 Posts
I had to cut out caffeine entirely about a year ago, but have slowly re-integrated it.

Typically, I drink a cup of Chai tea in the morning with breakfast (skim milk and creamer added, but not a lot). I have green tea with a bit of honey mid-morning (I used to take my HR and it seemed to slow down a bit after the tea - I assume blood sugar evening out?).

Then I have a cup of coffee (half decaf/half regular) mid afternoon before working out/riding, and I add a smidge of hot chocolate powder.

Not sure any of it helps anything or not ;) But, I like it. I don't usually drink anything else other than water, so mixing it up is nice.

· I'm workin' on it....
255 Posts
I think it's pretty much a caffeine thing. I drink tea every morning-British style with milk and sugar, mostly because that's what my parents drank when I was growing up, and now my son is hooked on it too.

· yup
2,739 Posts
Coffee supposedly has a lot of great anti-oxidants, but its also a diuretic (tea too?) so I would think too much would cause potential hydration issues maybe? I drink a lot of it and have never noticed that though.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
tferris said:
Coffee supposedly has a lot of great anti-oxidants, but its also a diuretic (tea too?) so I would think too much would cause potential hydration issues maybe? I drink a lot of it and have never noticed that though.
Unless you're taking in some hyper-caffeinated stuff, the water that's in caffeinated beverages is enough to make up for or surpass (depending on the concentration of caffeine) their diuretic effect.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
diuretic

Andrea138 said:
Unless you're taking in some hyper-caffeinated stuff, the water that's in caffeinated beverages is enough to make up for or surpass (depending on the concentration of caffeine) their diuretic effect.
agree that's been over-stated. I normally drink 2 double espressos in the morning. Not necessarily hyper-caffeinated, but very concentrated -- de-watered compared to normal brew. I don't notice any dehydration effect. Obviously I drink water during the day, too, but not an abnormal amount.

· yup
2,739 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Yar that makes sense. Of course I agree with anything that justifies my addiction :)

· Registered
876 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I see a lot of cycling nutrition articles that talk about having coffe or tea with breakfast. What kind of benefit is this. I personally don't like either (no, I'm not Mormon) unless there is at least a cup of sugar in it so I guess that would negate whatever benefit they provided. What is it, the caffeine, what?
I drink tea because I happen to like it. That there are benefits to drinking is only a bonus. BTW, if you ever get the chance to try white tea do so. Black tea, most teas are black tea based, are very bitter. Green tea has a very grassy or earthy taste to it. White tea on the other hand I can drink straight with no sweeteners. It has a very mild taste to it compared to the other two. I too can't drink black tea without a lot of sugar.

· (not a real racer)
484 Posts
I'm a long time coffee drinker. Use to drink lots of coffee and go mountain biking. Now I'm on a tea kick cause the acid in the coffee was tearing up my guts. I usually have a small chai latte with soy milk from Peet's in the AM and sometimes a cup of green tea in the afternoon. I'm starting to like the chai in the morning I put a little honey in it and I'm good to go.

jabpn: I'm going to look out for that white tea, sounds really good.

· Folsom City Blues...
8,284 Posts
Teeea pleeeeease, thank you very much...

Peace :cool:

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Kinks

Elfstone said:
Teeea pleeeeease, thank you very much...
Tea in the morning, tea in the evening, tea at supper time,
You get tea when it's raining, tea when it's snowing.
Tea when the weather's fine,
You get tea as a mid-day stimulant
You get tea with your afternoon tea
For any old ailment or disease
For Christ sake have a cuppa tea.

· Folsom City Blues...
8,284 Posts
JCavilia said:
Tea in the morning, tea in the evening, tea at supper time,
You get tea when it's raining, tea when it's snowing.
Tea when the weather's fine,
You get tea as a mid-day stimulant
You get tea with your afternoon tea
For any old ailment or disease
For Christ sake have a cuppa tea.
Hehe, I'm sipping a nice warm cup of tea as I type, thanks for the post. I'll have remember that, it was cool or should I say warm....

· disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
jabpn said:
I drink tea because I happen to like it. That there are benefits to drinking is only a bonus. BTW, if you ever get the chance to try white tea do so. Black tea, most teas are black tea based, are very bitter. Green tea has a very grassy or earthy taste to it. White tea on the other hand I can drink straight with no sweeteners. It has a very mild taste to it compared to the other two. I too can't drink black tea without a lot of sugar.
+1bagillion for white tea. I drink it all, black, oolong, green, red/rooibos and white. White is my fav right now because the taste is so delicate yet complex that it needs no sugar or milk or honey to jazz it up. I think I'll go brew up a pot of silver needle right now...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.