Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy another cog for my fixie.
Looking for experiences with
  • DA $18
  • surly $25
  • rockwerks (same as surly?) $20
  • spicer ti $40

Only used DA so far, works fine, but may be I am missing something.

Thanks

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
If you need a cog with a higher tooth count than 16 (the largest DA cog) go with an EuroAsia cog, as good or better than Dura Ace and goes up to 21 teeth. I had one of the old Surly cogs and it was crap but they've supposedly made improvements, otherwise I've just used EAI and Dura Ace.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This doesn't really answer your question, but I ordered an EAI cog from americancyclery.com a few weeks ago and a few days after placing my order got a very friendly call from them. They told me that they'd run out of 15t EAI cogs so they would upgrade me to a Phil for free.

It looked very pretty when I got it, and now it's covered in grease and gunk. I just started riding this bike, but it feels good so far. Anyway, shipping took a while but I'm very impressed with AC's customer service...

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Pista came with a Dura Ace and It's worked fine for over 3 years.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Here's roughly how I'd stack up the cogs I've used/seen...

Sugino Gigas > Phil Wood > EAI > DA > [ gap] > Soma > Surly

I wouldn't even consider anything lower quality than the Surly like a generic stamped cog or something. I also wouldn't use the Miche spline deal on the street, I've heard it can develop play that can lead to stripping the hub. YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.