Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sat morning at 7am it was 23 degrees with a stiff wind blowing. rode 15miles @ 15-25mph. my feet absolutely froze solid. the pain during thaw-out was unreal. so off to the LBS: got some merino wool socks, windstopper booties, and gator neoprene toe warmers. Sunday morning 7am, 19degrees, same wind. wore all the new foot gear. toes still got cold, but did not freeze. at this point I think the only thing left to do is either wear snowboots, or get some of those hand warmers and sandwhich them between the bootie and shoe.

BTW - normally when its this cold I ride my MTB in the woods with a pair of high cut Lake winter shoes with thick smartwool socks - no problem. I think on the road with higher speeds and less protection from the wind is when the problems start

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
What we do.

I make sure my legs are warm so there is warm blood flowing to my feet.
Don't wear tight shoes. (Actually this time of year I often wear my Lake cycling boots on the road bike).
Miss M uses warming packets under her toe covers and reports good results.
On the coldest days I replace our clipless pedals with flats and we wear hiking boots.

We have been known to ride fairly far in pretty cold weather.

·
Registered
122 Posts
spring cant come soon enough.

the wind yesterday made made riding feel like a punishment .

i went out around 8am sunday morning -- it was about 17 degrees and 25-35mph wind here in nj. the sun wasnt quite above the treeline so it felt extra cold. i lasted about 18 minutes before going home. seems that my gloves werent good enough for a day like that and i wanted to bite off my fingertips to keep them from freezing. also, the tiny bit of exposed skin on my forehead between my sunglasses and the edge of the balaclava really started to hurt.

so i went home and did the trainer for 1 hour. ugh.

-pom

ps: i went out and bought some better gloves later that afternoon.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Performance neoprene covers

I asked about this with MB last week. He gave me a pretty good answer but I still wasn't entirely sure what to do. I ended up ordering some cheapo Performance bike neoprene shoe covers. They are ugly, they are kinda bulky, but they seem to work all right. They have a nice solid sole on them made out of rubber with cutouts for the cleats. They would probably be way too warm once the temps start coming up but so far so good.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17558&subcategory_ID=1344#

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ask a Cheesehead...

1. When your feet get cold, get a better hat. Really.
2. Eat a lot. Really.
3. Chemical pocket warmers are AWESOME. Forget the smaller feet warmers- you want the larger packs. Open a chem pack, put the pack on top of your shoe, put your booties over the heat pack to hold it in place and seal in warmth. They last about 7 hours. You can stop the heat by sealing in a ziplock and sucking all the air out. Keep extra packs handy- if your feet are still cold, put a pack over your heart (inner breast pocket) or by your carotid artery (inside neck of high rise base layer.)

The big problem is wind... nothing difficult with 23 degrees and sunny and no wind. Throw in the wind- popsicle.

That's why I went for a long skate on the lake yesterday- too windy. HAH! I fell through in an expansion crack! So I went swimming in 32 degree water when it was 23 degrees and windy. All sythetics, cell phone in a baggie, 100 yards from the car- otherwise I never would have risked the jump. All in all, biking would have been warmer... yesterday! Still, I figured some of the folks in warmer climate might be interested in what a Wisconsin boy thinks is a funny bonehead move... nothing dangerous (if you know the drill), just uncomfortable!

'Meat

bauerb said:
sat morning at 7am it was 23 degrees with a stiff wind blowing. rode 15miles @ 15-25mph. my feet absolutely froze solid. the pain during thaw-out was unreal. so off to the LBS: got some merino wool socks, windstopper booties, and gator neoprene toe warmers. Sunday morning 7am, 19degrees, same wind. wore all the new foot gear. toes still got cold, but did not freeze. at this point I think the only thing left to do is either wear snowboots, or get some of those hand warmers and sandwhich them between the bootie and shoe.

BTW - normally when its this cold I ride my MTB in the woods with a pair of high cut Lake winter shoes with thick smartwool socks - no problem. I think on the road with higher speeds and less protection from the wind is when the problems start

·
Registered
356 Posts
from another cheesehead...

bauerb said:

if you are going to buy some neoprene booties or shoe covers, make sure they have some sort of thermal lining...the lining makes a HUGE difference. also, check out windproof softshells (i have a marmot brand)...they work wonders at keeping your core nice and toasty.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I second the Performance Neoprene Booties. I'v had some for years, and IMO they're great. I wear Ultimax Xcountry ski socks, my Sidi shoes, and the Booties. I have no prob. down to single digits F.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
How about?

Instead of going out and riding at 7 in the morning, or 8AM, or whenever you guys are going out; why not go out later in the morning when it might be a little warmer? Just an idea...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
magnolialover said:
Instead of going out and riding at 7 in the morning, or 8AM, or whenever you guys are going out; why not go out later in the morning when it might be a little warmer? Just an idea...
Unfortunately I have to leave at 5:25 AM to get to work on time. The entire 18 mile trip to work is done before dawn.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,274 Posts
I tried J's "low tech" approach, worked wonders on a 25 mile ride 15mph wind @ 33*...

( little plastic baggie on each foot, cut the zipping locking part off)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
here's what I do

move the F somewhere warmer. good lord I wore an undershirt under my jersey and it got too hot. wished I'd have had a zipper to the belly button and that was at 8:15 AM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts