Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I confess, the first shot is from May. That is the last time we could see the mountains. For the entire month of June, my part of the PNW has been overcast and cool. Today was no different. The purpose of the ride was a final shakedown of the road bike before the century on the 14th. I ride the commuter during the week so the weekends are the only time Emma gets any miles.

The Seattle to Portland is on July 12th and I will ride the BLE with the setup I had today. I have a new rear wheel (new rim, old hub) and I just repacked the front hub. It all worked well. New tires too, conti 4 season 25mm.

Here are some shots from the road. This is on the border of the submarine base at Bangor. The fence is the border. It was 55 degrees and overcast so I wore long sleeves and knickers.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Weather still sucks

Tractor collection. Pretty much a history of medium size tractors. Second shot is of a huge drop with a climb on the other side. This is part of my commute route and I have only hit a green light once. Every other time was a complete stop and total loss of momentum.

The third shot is of the road to my house. It is really that steep. Fourth shot is of my driveway. It is actually ok to ride since it is hard packed.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back home

Here is my new rear wheel. I bent the CPX33 rim somehow and needed a new rim. Open Sports were the only mavic road rim available in 36H. It is actually a nice rim and feels good when I brake hard. The front is a CPX33 in 32 hole. Both wheels have campy chorus hubs.

Shot of the side yard into the back. We recently cleared a bunch of downed trees and blackberry vines.

My Ford F150 4X4 is my motivation for commuting. $13 in gas each time I drive to work.

That is a Foo dog next to the wheel. We have the set next to our front door. I can happily say that our home is evil spirit free.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Emma sure has big legs.

I wish I could send you a bit of our weather-visiting is going to be quite a shock to your system.

You a hippy or something, living in the back woods like that?

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
While D.C. has been getting the heat and you guys have been getting the rain we've been basically having nonstop wind from the storms passing to the north. It's gotten pretty old riding into 35mph winds each afternoon. Helps to strengthen the legs though.

I love that yard. Rural is nice.

G

·
Bill,

Not very far away from you, in VAncouver, BC last weekend they held the Worls Triathlon Championships.

I don't know if you saw this.

The water temperature in the bay was only 2* above the minimum required to hold the race.

The organizers were interviewed and said had the water been any colder hypothermia would have been a concern and they would not have been allowed to hold the event. As it was they had to shorten the swim leg due to water temp.

Good thing it's so warm this June.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
toomanybikes said:
Bill,

Not very far away from you, in VAncouver, BC last weekend they held the Worls Triathlon Championships.

I don't know if you saw this.

The water temperature in the bay was only 2* above the minimum required to hold the race.

The organizers were interviewed and said had the water been any colder hypothermia would have been a concern and they would not have been allowed to hold the event. As it was they had to shorten the swim leg due to water temp.

Good thing it's so warm this June.
Stupid global warming. I thought it would be downright tropical by now. My house is 200' above sea level, bring it on.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
How many feet of elevation gain is that hill to your house? I take it you have to climb up it in the AM. That looks like about a 400 foot climb but it is 14 percent.

PS I will take your sucky cold weather anytime over our 90s.( 95 degrees 95% humidity)

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bigrider said:
How many feet of elevation gain is that hill to your house? I take it you have to climb up it in the AM. That looks like about a 400 foot climb but it is 14 percent.

PS I will take your sucky cold weather anytime over our 90s.( 95 degrees 95% humidity)
My house is at the bottom of the hill. The climb out to the main road I take to work is 350feet in a little under half a mile. Garmin says the individual climbs are 15, 18, and 17%. In the morning, I walk my bike up the two steep sections and get on before the final climb. I get around 100 yards to build momentum before I reach the climb. After that it is a one mile downhill at 30+ mph. That part is special in 30 degree weather at 5am.

I have done my time on the East Coast in Charleston, SC and Va Beach. Nothing like commuting to work at 6am in 85 degree temps with 90% humidity. I would take a cold shower and still sweat through my clothes for an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.