Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

halp, foolz!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed by the wifey that I will be watching her friend's two daughters for about an hour tonight while they go to the gym. They're about 10 and 12 I think. I don't have kids and this scared me speechless... Fortunately they love the dogs and they're my plan for entertainment. See, they are working dogs...

Gulp. (breathe) (no, don't hyperventilate)

See, I can't really say no because I'm totally trying to support this "wife going to the gym" thing. I has beer. What could possibly go wrong, right? :yikes:

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
if you're still hyperventilating and sweating when you answer the door, chances are mom will quickly make alternate arrangements. Problem solved, and you didn't have to say 'no'! You can also ask mom about your plan to give each child a double espresso and a free kitten to take home.

Easy peasy, Kykr. They'll play w/ the dogs for a while. Offer snacks and drinks. The hour will go quickly.

and even if the dogs don't NEED another walk, offering the girls to let you help take the pooches out for a stroll will go a long way ....

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
i voted for all of them.
They are 10 and 12, they can entertain themselves. Your only job is to make sure they dont die/injure themselves. Here are some suggestions:
-Make them a sandwich, take your time. You can spend 10-15 mins making a sandwich and then 15 mins eating it. Voila 30 mins down.
-bake cookies with them
-watch TV
-heres the kicker, talk to them like adults. You know how to talk to an adult for a few minutes right? Kids are like adults...only smarter.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
It could be worse, they could be my 6 yo twin boys.

·
Registered
586 Posts
10 and 12 are about the easiest ages you can have. At least with boys. Which is my only experience. You may just find this great birth control.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
This is not baby sitting, this is keeping an eye on small adults. Ask them what they want to do when they get there, as long as it doesn't involve fire or cars, let them do it. Check every 15 minutes to make sure they're still in the house and you're set.

Plum

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
Let them have at your wife's makeup....lipstick, eye liner, the whole deal. They'll probably put it on thicker than butter, have a blast, and you'll probably never be asked to watch them again. It's a win/win for everyone.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
You should hear the conversation going on over at their house.

"Mom, it's not fair. How could you be dropping us off with some creepy guy that you barely know just so you can go to the gym. This sucks, I hate you"

So, in the end, they are probably more scared of you than you are of them. Just a guess, but I bet they bring their iPods, cell phones, Nintendo DS, a stack of books and magazines and really will only rely upon you to show them how the cable box works if it is different than theirs.

You'll be fine.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
F T W

azpeterb said:
Let them have at your wife's makeup....lipstick, eye liner, the whole deal. They'll probably put it on thicker than butter, have a blast, and you'll probably never be asked to watch them again. It's a win/win for everyone.
That was going to be my exact same suggestion, assuming you did not want your wife to keep going to the gym.

The only other way to make it a win/win is the cookie idea which I really like. An alternative might be home made pizza, lots of ingredients they can really experiment with.

Actually 10/12 is a perfect age. They are old enough to carry on a reasonably intelligent conversation. They are still young enough that they might show a reasonable amount of respect to an adult.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
They'll just spend the entire hour texting their friends about the weird guy their mom left them with. Expect them to look at you occasionally and snicker. Offer them Mt. Dew about 15 minutes before they leave.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Everyone got it about right except the hr. part. It'll take 30 min to get to the gym, 1hr to work out then 1 hr at starbuck then 30 min to get home. HTH. 1hr, ha!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
beantownbiker said:
Your only job is to make sure they dont die/injure themselves.
Hence the cold sweats.

AZ would be the winner but I want to encourage the gym thing, so no. FAIL. :p

Dog walk is a great idea, think we'll try that. Drinks afterward, wonder if they take their Bourbon neat of if I need to pick up ice on the way home...

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Love Commander said:
People are weird about giving kids alcohol these days. Ask their mom if it's okay, first.
If mom says NO just reply, "great that means there will be enough for me to get really plastered."

Guaranteed early retirement from your babysitting career.

By the way, how is the wife compensating you? Three way with the hot, sweaty MILF?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
piece of cake. i'll be watching a 4y/o and 7 or 8y/o girls along with my 4 y/o boy on sunday for a few hours. it's not that difficult. a couple 3-5 y/o boys is another story.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts