Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

Registered
One data point from years of summer riding in North Dallas. Weekend rides were typically 3.5hrs where the start was 85F and the ride ended around 100F. For these, I would completely freeze two water bottles and have two full of ice topped off with cold water. The two frozen ones were in my back jersey pockets. I found that they would stay colder longer in the pockets than on the bike. I also used CamelBak insulated (although, I never had the change to try the Podium Ice aerogel-insulated versions). I actually did some data logging on whether pocket or frame was better using Thermochron iButtons inside the bottles. The front bottle on the frame was always the hottest, followed by the other frame bottle, and the jersey pockets were the lowest.

Registered
if you feel water tastes bad when its warm, then you have not ridden far nor hard enough! lol. Thankfully on some of our routes we can refill at any of a number of bicycle bottle refilling stations the city installed en route, and that water is usually 50F, which is nice.

Banned Sock Puppet
41 - 45 of 45 Posts