• 20-30

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Cold, anything goes- even below zero

Votes: 34 31.8%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the coldest temps you will ride in?.......This in keeping in line with the warmest temps thread. Personally, I will ride in weather down to about 20 degrees, below that and it's not really worth it.

· Registered
188 Posts
When I put the last pieces of my cross bike together this February I rode for about 45 minutes in the middle of the night at -25C through the snow and ice hardly wearing sufficient gear but the thrill of getting the rare ride in during the long winter was exhilarating so I didnt feel the cold.

· Registered
460 Posts
Gotta agree with above: 30's-40's. My biggest problem when it gets cold is the fingers. Did a ride once in 12 degrees fahrenheit. I couldn't go faster than 15mph because the wind on my face that was exposed hurt too bad. My fingers were non-functional, even with fleece-lined full finger gloves.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
physasst said:
What are the coldest temps you will ride in?.......This in keeping in line with the warmest temps thread. Personally, I will ride in weather down to about 20 degrees, below that and it's not really worth it.
PR was 50 miles at -12 this winter.
-estone2

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
estone2 said:
PR was 50 miles at -12 this winter.
-estone2
WHAT??...........:eek:

I think the coldest temp for me during a ride last winter was 29 deg. Even at that temp my fingers and face suffered the worse. My mom got me some nice gore tex gloves and that really helped out.

I love moms

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Key variable is windspeed, windchill factors make all the difference between a comfy ride with temps in the lower 20's or a horrible frostbitten one at 30*.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
johngfoster said:
Gotta agree with above: 30's-40's. My biggest problem when it gets cold is the fingers. Did a ride once in 12 degrees fahrenheit. I couldn't go faster than 15mph because the wind on my face that was exposed hurt too bad. My fingers were non-functional, even with fleece-lined full finger gloves.
i use windblock gloves, then my trico gel gloves, then some big lobster gloves on top

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
croswell1 said:
WHAT??...........:eek:

I think the coldest temp for me during a ride last winter was 29 deg. Even at that temp my fingers and face suffered the worse. My mom got me some nice gore tex gloves and that really helped out.

I love moms
Yeah, my glvoes lost their padding, and on my next ride which was at 14 I went out, commuted to school, got to school, and was rocking back and forth gasping and holding my hands for the next hour... it was pretty miserable. Damn C'dale gloves worked GREAT up till one day when they lost all padding such that you get cold with em on at 45 degrees. (For reference, at 45 degrees I'm out in a midweight L/S Jersey, summerweight shorts, and short finger gloves. In other words, they do nothing.)
-estone2

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
physasst said:
My all-time record is somewhere around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. I have no problems with riding in the 20s, so long as it is dry. I routinely commute in the winter in 20 and 30 degree temperatures. With the right clothing, I would rather ride in 20 degree temperatures than I would in 90 degree temperatures.

· Registered
152 Posts
depends on what we are talking about. i will not train in super cold temps but while i was living in germany i commuted about 8 miles one way to work year-round. in the winter i would ride in low single digits with six-eight inches of snow on the ground when i left the house at 5 am every day. brad

G

·
I remember my first centruy was solvang of this year and the temps dropped down into the teens with snow and hail falling. I didnt have waterproof gloves at the time so i rode with none at after about 45min i coulndt feel my fingers to brake and was afraid to go faster than 15 in case i had to stop. I stayed at the first rest stop for almost 30 min trying to warm up and did the next hour or so with my hands under my jacket until it warmed up.
But other than that it dosent really get below low 40s (i live in so cal).

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I commute all year in northern Ohio. My criteria for riding are clear roads and temps of about 20F & warmer. If it's 15F, I'll usually drive the 16 miles one way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.