Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Diphthong
Joined
·
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iowa State plays Iowa this weekend. One of the best things about CFB is rivalry weekend.

Who's your favorite team and who is the biggest rival? If you had to choose, would you rather lose every game but win the rivalry game? Or, win every game but the rivalry game?
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,608 Posts
Aggies v Longhorns.

It is a literal true statement that winning that game is the only requirement for the Aggie's coach to keep his job.
 

·
Diphthong
Joined
·
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Creakyknees said:
Aggies v Longhorns.

It is a literal true statement that winning that game is the only requirement for the Aggie's coach to keep his job.
Good one.
 

·
No hero that's understood
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
Ohio vs. State Michigan is the easy one, but I didn't go to either of those schools and I really don't care who wins.

I am a proud Arizona State Sun Devil and have nothing but disdain for that little third-rate trade school down the road in Tucson.

I root against them in everything from badminton to women's gymnastics and everything in between.

Nationally, this is not a well known rivalry, but it is a pretty fierce one indeed.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Aggies v Longhorns.

It is a literal true statement that winning that game is the only requirement for the Aggie's coach to keep his job.
/thread.

I'll probably be at Kyle Field on Oct 24, 2011.
 

·
Proud luddite
Joined
·
7,191 Posts
q_and_a said:
Ohio vs. State Michigan is the easy one, but I didn't go to either of those schools and I really don't care who wins.

I am a proud Arizona State Sun Devil and have nothing but disdain for that little third-rate trade school down the road in Tucson.

I root against them in everything from badminton to women's gymnastics and everything in between.

Nationally, this is not a well known rivalry, but it is a pretty fierce one indeed.
U of A alum here....we're going to destroy you guys when we play this year. Usually ASU is the dominant (football) team but they are perfectly awful lately.

There is one thing that we should be able to agree on though: isn't it nice to see USC squirm?
 

·
No hero that's understood
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
azpeterb said:
U of A alum here....we're going to destroy you guys when we play this year. Usually ASU is the dominant (football) team but they are perfectly awful lately.

There is one thing that we should be able to agree on though: isn't it nice to see USC squirm?
Funny part is the rivalry is so good that the better team (no matter how much better) is only slightly more likely to win.

During my years in Tempe, we never beat U of A. This adds to the bitterness that I express.

I really used to like that the game was played on Thanksgiving Friday, it's a shame that is no longer true.

Watch out for USC, they are still better than both Arizona schools.

I have such low hopes for the Devils this year that I don't think I'm going to pay the extra $2 a month to get the extended sports package that include Fox Sports net. It really sucks to have to start watching your team at 10:20 p.m. just to see the get slaughtered by lousy opponents.
 

·
Proud luddite
Joined
·
7,191 Posts
q_and_a said:
Funny part is the rivalry is so good that the better team (no matter how much better) is only slightly more likely to win.

During my years in Tempe, we never beat U of A. This adds to the bitterness that I express.

I really used to like that the game was played on Thanksgiving Friday, it's a shame that is no longer true.

Watch out for USC, they are still better than both Arizona schools.

I have such low hopes for the Devils this year that I don't think I'm going to pay the extra $2 a month to get the extended sports package that include Fox Sports net. It really sucks to have to start watching your team at 10:20 p.m. just to see the get slaughtered by lousy opponents.
In all honesty, I think the U of A is very overrated this year. They got lucky last year and beat a bunch of mediocre teams, although beating USC was a great accomplishment and was by far the highlight of the DECADE for the Wildcats. The bowl matchup against Nebraska revealed the Wildcats for what they were last year, a decent team that wasn't nearly as good as their record. This year hopes are high but I really don't think they've improved much. They won easily against Toledo and should crush Citadel tomorrow, but the real test will be the third game against Iowa. If they win that one then they could be for real, but I predict that they will lose badly to the Hawkeyes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
658 Posts
Gotta go with Montana and Montana St. It's home, and I have friends that are crazy fans of both sides. It's a kick to get together with them and witness the smack talking. otherwise I could care less about CFB.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
hoping USF gives UF a run for it tommorrow, it's the Bulls biggest game thus far and the Gator offense looked bad against Miami OH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,066 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Aggies v Longhorns.

It is a literal true statement that winning that game is the only requirement for the Aggie's coach to keep his job.

the Longhorns I know value a win over the sooners far more than beating the poor aggies.

kinda sad that a single victory over UT constitutes a 'winning' season for those folks.
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,371 Posts
University of Colorado vs ??????

Nebraska was pegged by CU as a rival, but NU never seemed to take it to heart. They always considered Oklahoma thier rival, so that really doesn't count.

CSU. Considered a rival by CSU, but as a CU alumn it's just a game I'd rather not have to play. CSU gets all excited when they win. CU just gets pizzed because they should never lose, but they also don't get up for the game which is a coaching issue.

Moving to the Pac12 in the next year or so should be fun, but we are going to get our azz kicked by everyone.
 

·
Domokun!
Joined
·
467 Posts
Ohio State vs. that crappy team up north. I dare not speak their name!

GO BUX!!!

O H
 

·
Proud luddite
Joined
·
7,191 Posts
SlowPokey said:
Civil war, ducks vs. the beavers. Doesn't happen till the end of the season.
While that is a great rivalry, it should also be nominated as the one with the least intimidating mascot names.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top