Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was watching a college crit this weekend and was fascinated to see one of the teams coaches riding the course during the race, 5-10 meters off the back of the pack. All the other college coaches were standing alongside the course at the start/finish line. He did this in both womens races and the Men's B race that I saw.

First off, what a display of fitness and how humiliating for his athletes. Whether he was actually coaching during the race or not just being there at the back would force his athletes not to get shelled out the back.

Secondly, I always thought trainng was where you taught your athletes the intracacies of bike racing and race day was when they used those skills. Is he not training these kids how to think for themselves and as a team?

Finally (and maybe really first), is this even permitted? Permitted by the rules or just permitted by what is acceptable practice. Not sure why the official permitted the coach being on the course or why the other coaches allowed it to happen.

So what say you folks that have raced/watched college crits before - is this normal?

·
Registered
257 Posts
We don't have a coach :thumbsup: In the intro category they have "coaches" - C, B, A riders will ride with the newbies and tell them what to do. Occasionally I've seen the conference director jump in and encourage people off the back in higher cat races, but never actually get involved in a pack situation.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
It happens more frequently than you would think. I'm not sure if its an advantage, I've never had anyone coach during a race. I think the big thing a coach would gain is a view of the race. Usually a coach has to rely on short pictures of the race he sees or recounts from the racers. If he's actually in the race he sees the whole thing happen.

Its allowed by the rules; the coaches aren't allowed to influence the race in any way, thats why he was slightly off the back. I've seen it in cat 5, W4, and junior races, I'm not sure if its allowed in higher categories.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts