Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what Collage has in store for Eurobike. They have a tweet saying something new is in store? Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Colnago, like DeRosa is a dead brand circling the drain and have been for a while. Clinging to fake "Italian Heritage" while making all their ugly frames in China. Thankfully, one can still buy a handmade Time bike with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Colnago, like DeRosa is a dead brand circling the drain and have been for a while. Clinging to fake "Italian Heritage" while making all their ugly frames in China. Thankfully, one can still buy a handmade Time bike with a lifetime warranty.
Are you saying all the top of the line Colnago are made in China . C40 , C50 , Extreme power , EPS , C50 , C60 ?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
AFAIK the lugged (carbon and steel) bikes are still made in Italy. In general I think road bikes over the past 3-4 years tend toward the ugly. These are no worse and a few nice looking paint schemes. Seat masts - ugh...

I'm glad to see a return of the 80's fishnet paint job on the Master series.

BTW that bike was clearly not Ernesto's personal. Looks a little big for him; he must be a short guy.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Giant owns 40% of Colnago and makes most of their bikes at their factory in Taiwan. The Master, Arabesque and C60 are still made in Italy. I agree with hfc that road bikes are definitely going ugly. Its disappointing that the C60 has compact geometry and ugly paint jobs. I'm keeping my C40 forever.

Like many of the other storied Italian brands, Colnago is soon to become just another plastic bike company from Asia. I see guys riding around on pricey Pinarrelos here and wonder why anyone would pay big bucks them.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Giant owns 40% of Colnago and makes most of their bikes at their factory in Taiwan. The Master, Arabesque and C60 are still made in Italy. I agree with hfc that road bikes are definitely going ugly. Its disappointing that the C60 has compact geometry and ugly paint jobs. I'm keeping my C40 forever.

Like many of the other storied Italian brands, Colnago is soon to become just another plastic bike company from Asia. I see guys riding around on pricey Pinarrelos here and wonder why anyone would pay big bucks them.
To the best of my knowledge that's never been proven. Giant does not own part of Colnago. Was there ever a press release?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
To the best of my knowledge that's never been proven. Giant does not own part of Colnago. Was there ever a press release?
That's what Mike at Maestro told me over the phone when I bought a Colnago frame from him earlier this year. He's been selling Colnagos for years and years. He said that once Ernesto dies, the family will sell the company "and that'll be it". I figure if anyone knows what's going on with Colnago, he does. But no, I can't point you to a press release.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
That's what Mike at Maestro told me over the phone when I bought a Colnago frame from him earlier this year. He's been selling Colnagos for years and years. He said that once Ernesto dies, the family will sell the company "and that'll be it". I figure if anyone knows what's going on with Colnago, he does. But no, I can't point you to a press release.
Giant is a publicly traded company. There would have been disclosure.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Their new Concept bike is already being sold by the counterfeiters. I think it's already happened. Maybe those guys you see riding around are on bargain basement fake frames? You know they say there's 10x as many fake Rolex watches as there are real ones... same applies with the Dogma and other frames.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts