Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather's crap, for London that is, so I decided to build up the Tecnos this weekend as I'm losing interest in the Coppi, functional as it may be in these conditions.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Simple hand tools

Your basic tools including Cyclus headset press, Eldi BB Italian thread tap, various other taps and a Cyclus crown race mounting tool.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parts and motivation

Not many new parts, different BB as the Coppi was English thread !!!, bar tape, headset and a couple of plastic ties for the Flitedeck sensor. And the expresso maker which uses pods. 50th birthday present from the missus.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Headset press

Headset is a FSA Orbit X with sealed bearings. Chris Kings go for £80+ in the UK. I am using Chris King headset tools which result in no pressure from the press being put on the bearings. These tools make life easy.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Missus returns from shopping

Everything's off the Coppi and we're almost ready to cut the steerer. Only problem so far is that the threaded hole in the BB for the plastic cable guide hasn't been cut. Fortunately I have the correct tap and tap handle and can cut it myself.

The missus returns from a shopping excursion down to Bond Street and is not happy to find the kitchen, tables and counter space taken up with parts, bikes and tools.

I'm taking her out to dinner so I banish her from the kitchen which doesn't go over too well.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done- ready to ride

Finished. Running 15mm spacers under the stem until I get the fit sorted out. Time for a ride. Details pics in the Colnago section. Total time of under 4 hours.

·
Are you a nurse, Fokker?
81 Posts
very nice! imo, much nicer looking than the coppi. enjoy!

·
Registered
318 Posts
arrgghh

Bar tape didn't overlap at STIs, cables are too long for break and a little too long for STIs!! Well, not really, I mean they still work but will probably look nicer/ more streamlined. Nice bike, definitely nicer than the Coppi.

Ciao,
Sean

·
Registered
180 Posts
What Happened to the Blue...

boneman said:
Finished. Running 15mm spacers under the stem until I get the fit sorted out. Time for a ride. Details pics in the Colnago section. Total time of under 4 hours.
Colnago bar tape? Too much blue?

·
Registered
180 Posts
What Happened to the...

boneman said:
blue Colnago bar tape? Too much blue?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, too much blue

Got to the tape bit and figured it was all a bit much. Plus it's still winter and the black tape would be better, at least for now.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure yet

gdtrfb24 said:
What plans do you have for the coppi?? are you going to sell it??
Original plan was to keep it as a beater for the worst of winter. After only 3 days on the Colnago, I'm ready to sell the thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice bike. "My" Dream B-Stay frame just arrived at my LBS today. Should have the built bike on Friday or Saturday. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What color?

What color did you end up getting and which fork? You buy it in the States? Let's see some pics when you're done. Enjoy riding it and don't do anything crazy the first time out. I learned, by leaving lots of skin on the road, to take it easy when riding a new bike or wheels, just enough to get used to things first before getting aggressive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Boneman,

I got the NL-4, black with the blue "bubbles" and some silver in it. Yes, I got it here in the States. My LBS got it from Trialtir, the US Colnago distributor. Going to have 2003 Campy Record brakes, shifters and derailleurs. FSA carbon compact crankset with a Chorus cassette (still trying to decide between a 12-25 or 13 -26, any input from anyone on this list would be appreciated). We'll be using a DA BB (only Shimano part on this bike) :) I was waffling back and forth between a King headset or the Colnago one (made by Tiso) and I went with the Colnago (still not 100% sure about that decision). It'll have Stella Azzura bars and stem (though I'm still debating this choice too), USE Alien seatpost and a Fizik Aliante saddle. Using the American Classics 350 wheel set (I'm light enough to ride those and need all the help I can weight wise for climbing) Haven't decided on pedals yet. I'm using SPDs on my current road bike, a 30 year old Gitane Tour de France. I'm going to look at the Speedplays and Looks (and anything else that catches my eye).

I'll take your advice and take it easy the first time out. I don't want to total a new bike the first day out either. :) Besides I'm just getting back into riding anyway, so I won't go too crazy.

I'll try to get some pics on this site as soon as I get my digital camera back from the repair shop.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh yeah, Boneman,

I've wanted a Colnago since I was a teenager (30 years ago) but couldn't afford it then (not that I can afford it now) :) So instead of a Porsche, my wife let me have this for my mid-life crisis pacifier.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.