Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need some help. I'm 6'6", and am looking at a C50, but I wonder/fear if even their largest size will fit me, which is a 65, but the TT is pretty short, 592mm. My cycling inseam is about 34.5 inches. Any help?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
never owned a bike before???

Foppa said:
Ok, I need some help. I'm 6'6", and am looking at a C50, but I wonder/fear if even their largest size will fit me, which is a 65, but the TT is pretty short, 592mm. My cycling inseam is about 34.5 inches. Any help?
Without some relevant dimensions from a previous bike, like TT length, seat tube angle (STA), stem length and saddle height, it's tough to comment. A handlebar height, from the ground to the top of the bars would also be valuable.

The reason saddle height is more relavant than inseam, is because most people don't really know their cycling inseam and people with the same cycling inseam can choose significantly different saddle heights.

FWIW, an 88cm inseam would be pretty short for a person 6'-6" tall. Perhaps you're quoting a pants inseam, which is always a lot less than cycling inseam. You're 29cm taller than me, but only have 5cm more inseam? Possible, but not likely.

Here's a link with the basics of fitting a bike. http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

http://www.trialtir-usa.com/2006-colnago/colnagoinfo/colsizecharts.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've owned a bike before, a couple actually, but never one that fit really well. Right now the bike I'm riding is:

87.6 Cm from top of the saddle to center of the crankbolt.

I have 175mm cranks

64.5 Cm from the tip of the saddle to the center of the bar

Sorry my last post was posted in somewhat of a fluster.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'd check to see if there is a weight restriction on that bike as well. You're a big dude. I know a guy your size who routinely snaps frames.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kajukembo said:
I'd check to see if there is a weight restriction on that bike as well. You're a big dude. I know a guy your size who routinely snaps frames.
I weigh 190, and I've never had a problem with equipment.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
huge inseam...

Foppa said:
Yeah, I've owned a bike before, a couple actually, but never one that fit really well. Right now the bike I'm riding is:

87.6 Cm from top of the saddle to center of the crankbolt.

I have 175mm cranks

64.5 Cm from the tip of the saddle to the center of the bar

Sorry my last post was posted in somewhat of a fluster.

If you saddle height is 87.6cm, then your cycling inseam is probably in the 97-98cm range or 38 inches, so you're not a long torsoed rider.

The tallest head tube offered by Colnago is 213mm. Add 30mm of the heaset and 20mm for spacers and you get 263mm. With a 96 degree stem you could get the top of the bars up to approximately 100cm (39.4 inches) above the floor.

It's tough to do much with saddle tip to center of bars dimension. Look at the Colnago geometry chart and measure the "O" dimension on your bike (TT length) that would help a lot. Also measure your stem length.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C-40 said:
If you saddle height is 87.6cm, then your cycling inseam is probably in the 97-98cm range or 38 inches, so you're not a long torsoed rider.

The tallest head tube offered by Colnago is 213mm. Add 30mm of the heaset and 20mm for spacers and you get 263mm. With a 96 degree stem you could get the top of the bars up to approximately 100cm (39.4 inches) above the floor.

It's tough to do much with saddle tip to center of bars dimension. Look at the Colnago geometry chart and measure the "O" dimension on your bike (TT length) that would help a lot. Also measure your stem length.

Ok, well the TT on my current bike is about 59 CM.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Now we're getting somewhere...

Foppa said:
Ok, well the TT on my current bike is about 59 CM.
Look at Colnago's geometry chart. You'll see that frames in the 63-65cm range would probably do the trick. It depends on why your current bike "doesn't fit well". Is the TT too short, requiring a stem longer than a 130 or are the bars too low, meaning you need more head tube length?

To get a real accurate comparison, more info would be needed, like the seat tube angle, but in the large sizes it's not likely to be vary far from Colnago's 73 degree. A lot of large frames have a 72.5 degree.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C-40 said:
Look at Colnago's geometry chart. You'll see that frames in the 63-65cm range would probably do the trick. It depends on why your current bike "doesn't fit well". Is the TT too short, requiring a stem longer than a 130 or are the bars too low, meaning you need more head tube length?

To get a real accurate comparison, more info would be needed, like the seat tube angle, but in the large sizes it's not likely to be vary far from Colnago's 73 degree. A lot of large frames have a 72.5 degree.
Yeah, I'm running a 140mm stem, and the seatpost is way way out. I'll hunt down the geo chart for my current bike and post back. You've been tons of help so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok:

TopTube: 594mm
head angle: 74
Seattube angle:72.5

It's a compact frame if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Foppa said:
Yeah, I'm running a 140mm stem, and the seatpost is way way out. I'll hunt down the geo chart for my current bike and post back. You've been tons of help so far.
If you have a digi cam, take a pic of your current bike set-up. It may or may not help, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
euro-trash said:
If you have a digi cam, take a pic of your current bike set-up. It may or may not help, but it's worth a try.
Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, mine recently broke in it's in for warranty repair.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
next step...

A Colnago in a 65cm size might work for you. Wiht the slightly steeper STA, the reach will actually about the same as the bike you have. There would be no improvment, if a 140 stem is too short. Perhaps the head tube length would be an improvement, depending on your current setup.

Review your saddle fore/aft situation. Have you ever been setup to verify where your knee is located relative to the pedal spindle? The Colorado Cyclist site shows how to get started with the knee directly over the pedal spindle. Although this is a fine starting point, a further back position is favored by many riders and might improve the stem length (reach) situation. Being a slave to knee over pedal (KOP) can be a mistake.

Another thing to check is weight balance of the bike. This is rarely ever checked, even by"expert" fitters. Ideally, the weight on the front wheel should be somewhere in the range of 42-46% when you're in an agressive cornering position (hands in the drop and finger in reach of the brake levers, with the upper back as low as you're comfortable with. The only thing that has a great affect on the weight balance is saddle fore/aft position (for a given bike). Also, in this position, it's good if you can avoid knee to arm contact while pedaling. Knee to arm overlap indicates a reach that's on the short side.

·
Registered
277 Posts
a 59 cm tt will not even come close to fitting you being 6'6" w/ a 34.5 inseam. God, do you have a long torso, wow.

I'm 6'4 w/ a 36" inseam and have a 59cm tt w/ a 140 stem.

If you're thinking @ dropping stupid $$ on a bike, I'd recommend contacting Lenord Zinn as he's a big guy and does custom work for tall folk. Otherwise cannondale has a 60 cm tt w/ their 63 - but still w/ a 140 stem, it may be too short for you - if you don't like to be stretched out a lot - it could work... but then again, by what you're looking to buy, a C-dale likely will not have enough bling factor for you.

I guess it all depends upon how stretched out you like to be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Carlster said:
a 59 cm tt will not even come close to fitting you being 6'6" w/ a 34.5 inseam. God, do you have a long torso, wow.

I'm 6'4 w/ a 36" inseam and have a 59cm tt w/ a 140 stem.

If you're thinking @ dropping stupid $$ on a bike, I'd recommend contacting Lenord Zinn as he's a big guy and does custom work for tall folk. Otherwise cannondale has a 60 cm tt w/ their 63 - but still w/ a 140 stem, it may be too short for you - if you don't like to be stretched out a lot - it could work... but then again, by what you're looking to buy, a C-dale likely will not have enough bling factor for you.

I guess it all depends upon how stretched out you like to be.
Well apparently my inseam is in the range of 38"+, if you go read above. Anyways, It's likly I will go with a custom bike of one kind or the other, but probably not a Zinn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
C-40 said:
A Colnago in a 65cm size might work for you. Wiht the slightly steeper STA, the reach will actually about the same as the bike you have. There would be no improvment, if a 140 stem is too short. Perhaps the head tube length would be an improvement, depending on your current setup.

Review your saddle fore/aft situation. Have you ever been setup to verify where your knee is located relative to the pedal spindle? The Colorado Cyclist site shows how to get started with the knee directly over the pedal spindle. Although this is a fine starting point, a further back position is favored by many riders and might improve the stem length (reach) situation. Being a slave to knee over pedal (KOP) can be a mistake.

Another thing to check is weight balance of the bike. This is rarely ever checked, even by"expert" fitters. Ideally, the weight on the front wheel should be somewhere in the range of 42-46% when you're in an agressive cornering position (hands in the drop and finger in reach of the brake levers, with the upper back as low as you're comfortable with. The only thing that has a great affect on the weight balance is saddle fore/aft position (for a given bike). Also, in this position, it's good if you can avoid knee to arm contact while pedaling. Knee to arm overlap indicates a reach that's on the short side.
Thanks for all your help so far.

One more question, what about a 63CM cannondale?

Here's the Geo chart: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/geo-613.html

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not any better...

Looking at the chart, the 63cm size has a 60cm TT, but a 72 degree seat tube angle, which reduces the reach by at least 1cm, so it will fit the same as the others we've been comparing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts