Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know, two very different bikes to compare.

I currently have a Cervelo RS which I love. I do want to get one other bike for variety. I have two wheelsets. DT Swiss RR1450 and HED Jet 4 C2 (which I have not used yet)

My rides are in the 50-100K range, and I want to do some nice hilly rides at some point.

I am riding for less than one year. I don't plan to race. I do however want to do well and get better. If I do a 100K at say 4 hours or so this year, I would like to do better next year,

One thing I find with the RS and other light bikes, and this may be given my limited experience is that the front end is not very stable, when I take one hand off.

I want to get SRAM Red with whatever bike I decide to go with. My RS has DuraAce 7800

Your advice is very much appreciated.

BTW, did my first ever bike commute today. (On my Scott CX Cross bike)

·
Registered
324 Posts
The kuota is in a simiar vein to the cervelo - in terms of its design - it's a STW bike, stiffness to weight. Very stiff for climbing and sprinting but can be fatiguing on longer rides, although the Cervelo has the small curved seatstays. Cervelo's geometry is interesting - 73 STA across the whole size range is not usually how a bikes geometry is done. FYI I used to have one (an RS).

The C-50 is not the stiffest bike nor the lightest, but I can attest that it would be one of the best, most comfortable all day rides out there.
Other benefits of the lugged colnago's (EPS/EP/C-50):

- over 20 sizes available as well as custom - no excuse to not get a great fit
- if you snap a tube in an accident, it can be replaced and the frame refinished.
- classic looks - timeless.
- better ride quality
- They're more EURO:thumbsup:

An equivalent Colnago to the Kuota is the CX-1.

Hope i've helped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thank you. The RS can serve for hillier rides and the Colnago for longer ones. Now I just have to get the $$$

haydos said:
The kuota is in a simiar vein to the cervelo - in terms of its design - it's a STW bike, stiffness to weight. Very stiff for climbing and sprinting but can be fatiguing on longer rides, although the Cervelo has the small curved seatstays. Cervelo's geometry is interesting - 73 STA across the whole size range is not usually how a bikes geometry is done. FYI I used to have one (an RS).

The C-50 is not the stiffest bike nor the lightest, but I can attest that it would be one of the best, most comfortable all day rides out there.
Other benefits of the lugged colnago's (EPS/EP/C-50):

- if you snap a tube in an accident, it can be replaced and the frame refinished.
- classic looks - timeless.
- better ride quality
- They're more EURO:thumbsup:

An equivalent Colnago to the Kuota is the CX-1.

Hope i've helped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
honestly, nothing anyone says should affect your decision. Buy the one you think that you'll be happier riding.

However, my vote would be for the colnago for the WOW factor.

·
Registered
659 Posts
+1 for Colnago
If there was no De Rosa I would probably be riding Colnago myself :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
haydos said:

this is not true for everyone. Colnagos generally fit people with long legs, short torsos. Also the head tubes are very short. Take me for an example, i'm 6"2 with 34' legs. I like a 58 ish cm toptube and i need at least a 17-18 cm headtube. To get a c50 to fit i'd have like 2 inchs of seat post sticking out and spacers under the stem.

Just looked at the geo again, it would only be 1-2cm of spacers, also uses a traditional headset so that helps, but still a very short seatpost. Sloping 58 would fit, doh!...

Point is geometry matters a lot. Don't get a nice expensive bike that doesn't fit right..

·
Registered
324 Posts
vortechcoupe said:
this is not true for everyone. Colnagos generally fit people with long legs, short torsos. Also the head tubes are very short. Take me for an example, i'm 6"2 with 34' legs. I like a 58 ish cm toptube and i need at least a 17-18 cm headtube. To get a c50 to fit i'd have like 2 inchs of seat post sticking out and spacers under the stem.

Just looked at the geo again, it would only be 1-2cm of spacers, also uses a traditional headset so that helps, but still a very short seatpost. Sloping 58 would fit, doh!...

Point is geometry matters a lot. Don't get a nice expensive bike that doesn't fit right..
My point was you can theroetically get a better fit with a colnago. In traditional sizes they go up in 1 cm increments - tell me another major manufacturer that does that. Then they also offer 7 sloping sizes to help those with shorter legs.

You're correct in saying they need a traditional H/S, but another thing to also consider is Colnago's typically have a bigger drop on the bottom bracket than most other bikes - so you don't 'need' as much HT to give the same fit.

If you couldn't fit a stock colnago properly (you can get custom geometry though) i'd be VERY surprised. So far as saying if you couldn't fit one you couldn't fit any stock bike on the market IMO.

eg. I have a 51cm BMC Pro Machine effective540TT, 139HT - Integrated H/S, My seat height is 710mm centre bbkt to top saddle. I run a 110 stem. I also have a Colnago EPS in a 52 Traditional. 530TT, 125HT- Integrated H/S and I use a 120 stem. I use no spacers on both bikes and I actually have a bigger saddle/bar drop on the BMC. My point is you need to consider BB drop as much as the HT length when you are deciding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts